CSA: Miller Announces Finland Roster

Jarrek

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hopeless. The next coach of Canada will be a Cdn, but not the one everyone wants. The 'RECALL' thing in California is looking mighty attractive to me. A 'RECALL' of the Scot running the CSA would be a start. Running the inhabitants of 36 Metcalfe St. out of office, and out of soccer in this country would be even better.

hey Ed,

are you refering to Yallop?

Although comparatively speaking he's got the best record, I am still scared of anyone affiliated with the dark ages (mid to late '90s).

Collin Miller, though a very genuine nice guy, used to talk as if he owned the team. In 1997, he used to talk about how he wants another crack at a world cup next time, as if this whole country can not find another player of his caliber in 4 years time.

The one thing I liked about Holger, is that he would tell all these guys to f--- off. I still remember when that Gary Samply dude of Alberta Soccer who is running his own little empire here (though I think he has now retired thankfully), drove his little antique car to the pitch and came on the practice pitch during Canada Cup '99, thinking this is still Bobby's era and Holger told him to f--- off and don't just come on to the field :-)...that was quite a nice day!

Thank you Reza. That Sampley story put a big smile on my face.

I think Yallop will turn down the CSA; he is on track right now to be next coach of USMNT. Which organization would you rather work for?

I think its premaure to say we will return to "kick & run football" until we know who the new coach will be. I'm not sure that we will even seen this tomorrow. Nobody in men's soccer play's Pellerud's style.

Although not calling De Guzman is totally insane, I am glad to hear at least that it was simply Colin Miller's poor decision, rather than Julian turning Canada down. So for me this explanation is good news in its own strange way. The new coach (unlikely to be Miller, especially after this line-up) is unlikely to make such a decision.

At least I hope not!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think Yallop will turn down the CSA; he is on track right now to be next coach of USMNT. Which organization would you rather work for?

It will be a frosty day in Hell before a Canadian coach is selected for the USMNT. Yallop will take the Canadian job if, and only if, he figures it will help him get to England, preferrably the Prem. And if he takes a look at our players and says, 'jeez, I think I can get them to the World Cup playing some decent football', then I think he'll jump at the chance. And if he thinks the players at hand would be doing well to make the Hex, then he stays put and waits for the next offer. So the question is: Does he think that DeGuzman, Radzinski, Stalteri and company can make it to Germany in 2006?

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

It will be a frosty day in Hell before a Canadian coach is selected for the USMNT. Yallop will take the Canadian job if, and only if, he figures it will help him get to England, preferrably the Prem. And if he takes a look at our players and says, 'jeez, I think I can get them to the World Cup playing some decent football', then I think he'll jump at the chance. And if he thinks the players at hand would be doing well to make the Hex, then he stays put and waits for the next offer. So the question is: Does he think that DeGuzman, Radzinski, Stalteri and company can make it to Germany in 2006?

I disagree totally. You could have said the same thing two years ago about a Canadian coaching in the MLS. Yallop has done the job there and with future captain Landon Donovan in his camp, I do not think it is far-fetched.

I disagree totally. You could have said the same thing two years ago about a Canadian coaching in the MLS. Yallop has done the job there and with future captain Landon Donovan in his camp, I do not think it is far-fetched.

I wouldn't have said the same thing 2 years ago about the MLS, but that may just be me. I think there is a difference between one of 12 franchise jobs and the men's national team. The american soccer pysche is not robust enough to accept a coach from a "lessor" soccer nation. I just can't see it. We won't know for at least 3.5 years. I don't think its a given Yallop will even apply for the Canadian job. From what I've read his ambitions lay in the Premiership. Frosty day in Hell Ed :D (But it is not exactly rare for me to be wrong)

Scottish preview of Canada vs. Finland match.

McKenna keen to put one over Niemi

PAUL KIDDIE

HEARTS star Kevin McKenna is hoping to put one over his former Tynecastle team-mate Antti Niemi when the pair go head-to-head on the international stage tomorrow.

The duo are set to line up against each other for the first time since Niemi’s £2million move to Southampton in the English Premiership last season when Canada take on Finland.

The call to international duty will come as a welcome break for McKenna, who has seen himself fall out of Craig Levein’s plans at Tynecastle due to the superb form of Scotland stopper Andy Webster.

The versatile 23-year-old is set to line up in the centre of defence tomorrow but will still be hoping to lend his weight in attack when possible as he looks to come out on tops against Niemi, the Finnish No.1 having just deposed Paul Jones to regain the gloves at the St Mary’s Stadium following a knee operation in the summer.

Tomorrow’s clash marks the first for Canada’s interim head coach, former Hearts star Colin Miller.

He has assumed control of the national team’s affairs after the resignation of Holger Osieck and has currently been combining those duties with his role as the first full-time head coach of the Abbotsford Soccer Association in British Columbia.

It has been a real privilege for the 61-times capped former Canada skipper - and he makes no secret of the fact that he would love the job on a permanent basis.

And he is aware that a good result tomorrow will do his cause no harm whatsoever.

Speaking from the team hotel in Tampere, Miller said: "This is a big, big occasion for me and a massive honour to have the chance to be head coach of the national team, albeit on an interim basis.

"It’s not very often that you get such an opportunity and I’m enjoying it immensely.

"We have been in Finland for a couple of days now, I’ve had a chat with the players, and we are all looking forward to what promises to be a tough, tough game."

The former Rangers and Dunfermline defender has been at Abbotsford since February 2000 since his resignation as Hamilton Accies boss, and although highly successful in that role, he admits he misses the day-to-day involvement with professional players.

"I have had a real buzz this week," he said, "and we’ll have to wait and see what happens in the long run.

"I have really enjoyed Abbotsford but I am desperate to get back at this level of the game and it has been great being back on the training pitch with the guys."

The Canadian football authorities are understood to be keen on MLS outfit San Jose Earthquakes boss Frank Yallop - one of Miller’s best friends - as the permanent replacement for Osieck, with Miller and Dale Mitchell also in the frame.

Hibs star Paul Fenwick is also set to feature tomorrow, while Everton striker Tomasz Radzinksi will be making his first appearance since his involvement in the friendly against Scotland at Easter Road 12 months ago.

Miller has named former St Johnstone midfielder Nick Dasovic as his assistant coach for the game.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Ironically, Nsaliwa has for one game anyway. He was in central defence against Unterhaching I believe. And Bundesliga-2 is probably an equal or better level of play than Scotland.

Outside of the the Old Firm I'd agree. About half the SPL sides would get relegated from the English 1st division. For what it's worth most German expats in America rate MLS as being on par with the 2nd Bundesliga.

Not a chance of that happening. Bob Bradley is pretty much a shoe in as the next US manager. Tim Hankinson will probably be considered as well. Not that I don't think Yallop could do the job, but the Bradley is more qualified, and Hankinson turned around Colorado's season.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Scottish preview of Canada vs. Finland match.

McKenna keen to put one over Niemi

PAUL KIDDIE

HEARTS star Kevin McKenna is hoping to put one over his former Tynecastle team-mate Antti Niemi when the pair go head-to-head on the international stage tomorrow.

The duo are set to line up against each other for the first time since Niemi’s £2million move to Southampton in the English Premiership last season when Canada take on Finland.

The call to international duty will come as a welcome break for McKenna, who has seen himself fall out of Craig Levein’s plans at Tynecastle due to the superb form of Scotland stopper Andy Webster.

The versatile 23-year-old is set to line up in the centre of defence tomorrow but will still be hoping to lend his weight in attack when possible as he looks to come out on tops against Niemi, the Finnish No.1 having just deposed Paul Jones to regain the gloves at the St Mary’s Stadium following a knee operation in the summer.

Tomorrow’s clash marks the first for Canada’s interim head coach, former Hearts star Colin Miller.

He has assumed control of the national team’s affairs after the resignation of Holger Osieck and has currently been combining those duties with his role as the first full-time head coach of the Abbotsford Soccer Association in British Columbia.

It has been a real privilege for the 61-times capped former Canada skipper - and he makes no secret of the fact that he would love the job on a permanent basis.

And he is aware that a good result tomorrow will do his cause no harm whatsoever.

Speaking from the team hotel in Tampere, Miller said: "This is a big, big occasion for me and a massive honour to have the chance to be head coach of the national team, albeit on an interim basis.

"It’s not very often that you get such an opportunity and I’m enjoying it immensely.

"We have been in Finland for a couple of days now, I’ve had a chat with the players, and we are all looking forward to what promises to be a tough, tough game."

The former Rangers and Dunfermline defender has been at Abbotsford since February 2000 since his resignation as Hamilton Accies boss, and although highly successful in that role, he admits he misses the day-to-day involvement with professional players.

"I have had a real buzz this week," he said, "and we’ll have to wait and see what happens in the long run.

"I have really enjoyed Abbotsford but I am desperate to get back at this level of the game and it has been great being back on the training pitch with the guys."

The Canadian football authorities are understood to be keen on MLS outfit San Jose Earthquakes boss Frank Yallop - one of Miller’s best friends - as the permanent replacement for Osieck, with Miller and Dale Mitchell also in the frame.

Hibs star Paul Fenwick is also set to feature tomorrow, while Everton striker Tomasz Radzinksi will be making his first appearance since his involvement in the friendly against Scotland at Easter Road 12 months ago.

Miller has named former St Johnstone midfielder Nick Dasovic as his assistant coach for the game.

Fenwick a star? WHAAAAAAA????????

Archived