CSA: Miller Announces Finland Roster

Jarrek

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why you would assume that because De Guzman & Klukowski aren't being called now, they never will be again, not even by a new coach. It is also worth mentioning that the CSA intend to set up more friendlies before qualifying starts.

I think Pesch combined (just for once) with players the quality of De Rosario & Radzinski, rather than Corazzin (which is who is has almost always been saddled with when playing for Canada), is good enough reason to call him.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I am afraid that if he isn't called now, he and de Guzman probably won't be called later either. WCQ is only 3-4 mos away and there are no other friendlies scheduled. What are the chances that they will get called up by the coaches when they haven't had a chance to look at them. Again, there are no other freindlies scheduled until WCQ. One would think that unless you work yourself off the team, if you are called for this match, you will be called for WCQ.

All I can think of is that perhaps the first round of WCQ is not being taken very seriously, in the sense that a bunch of preparatory friendlies and a really well-gelled team are not necessary to get past it. (The recent US Virgin Islands series can only support such thinking.) Then these games can also double as pseudo-friendlies in the sense that new things can be tried in preparation for the second round. I'm not saying I agree with this but perhaps that is the approach being taken.

quote:What bothers is the notion of recalling players that we have failed with in the past (e.g: Watson, Peschisolido, Fenwick). How tough is it to learn that if you didn't succeed with these guys in two WCQ's before, you probably won't this time either. Watson and Pesch have been part of two WCQ campaign. Pesch never scores for us, and we have had trouble scoring yet he gets called again for a friendly which should prelude the type of squad that we will ago into WCQ with. I just don't get it. I've seldom quibbled with past selections knowing that there were many more friendlies to come. But this one really bothers and it really looks we've turned the clocks back.
Given my "time warp" comment above (interesting that you used a similar notion in "turned the clocks back"), I obviously agree with you here.

Guest Jeffery S.

Simply looking at names I am 80% happy with the roster.

But I can't help but feel that with the rest this is Miller playing politics, pure and simple. He is gunning for the job and thinks he has to pander to some of the old boys while completely ignoring those that fully deserve to be there and yet have no pull in the dressing room nor with the CSA.

Which is why I can't wait to see him out of the picture as soon as possible. We need someone as coach with character, but the right kind of character, not the kind that thinks Scottish football is a world reference just because he eked out a living there once. Poor.

Thus not calling Reda is a glaring error, not only because the guy is near Finland, there are Finns in Norway, and he would probably have loved to play. It also has to do maybe with the fact that the Norway national coach said he'd call up Reda if he were Norweigan. Glaring error.

Another is Aguiar, which is such a huge injustice that it discredits Miller. Pure old boy stupidity and damaging to the team.

Another is De Guzmán. I sure hope this does not have to do with anything but reserving him for the Olympic qualifiers and trying to keep the club happy. They do have some friendlies this week I read. De Guzmán feeding DeRo and Radz would make for a very interesting set-up for Canada.

These decisions are all the more odd given that some players are probably not in condition to play, like Brennan, while others are unlikely to be game fit, like Fenwick.

In any case I think the front line is right on, with Hume and Stalteri in behind could be pretty interesting. I am not worried about the midfield if Stalteri is in it, but the back line again is a question mark. I think Watson if played is going to discover why he was right to retire when he did.

Finally, good on them for getting the two from San José, which surprises me in terms of their league committments, though I think they have clinched first spot and of course Yallop is not in a position to say no to the CSA if rumours are true about his application for the job.

This is Miller's one shot at it and I don't think it a shock that, as an interim coach, he hasn't radically changed the team. He wants a result and it's understandable he'd select some players with whom he's either familiar or has a rapport (Fenwick, Hastings, Watson, etc).

On the other hand, he brought back a number of guys people on these boards have been demanding (Pesch, Bircham, Jazic, even Watson). So I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over a couple omissions. (Frankly, I never get too upset over Aguiar; if he wants to get back into the set-up at this stage of his career, maybe he might pick up the phone and let them know his willingness to make a few compromises.)

Player selection is something for which all national coaches receive endless criticism and second guessing. I'm certainly willing to give Miller his chance here and support the side.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Hmm. The CSA site has him listed as Canada's sixth highest scorer all-time. Must be a typo.
Yes, but if you want to talk stats, that's 9 goals in 45 caps. McKenna, who is "supposed" to be a defender, has 6 in 18, which is 67% more proficient.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-luca

It is also worth mentioning that the CSA intend to set up more friendlies before qualifying starts.

What is the source on this? I haven't been reading all the articles recently so perhaps I missed it. Are there more details available, like when and against who (in Europe or North America?)?

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

On the other hand, he brought back a number of guys people on these boards have been demanding (Pesch, Bircham, Jazic, even Watson). So I'm not going to get too bent out of shape over a couple omissions. (Frankly, I never get too upset over Aguiar; if he wants to get back into the set-up at this stage of his career, maybe he might pick up the phone and let them know his willingness to make a few compromises.)

I think it's unfair to single out Aguiar as you have when Bircham and Jazic are back on the team even though they haven't compromised at all. I mean, Bircham says he's not coming back until Holger is gone --- talk about selfish! --- and Jazic has jerked us around more than once. What bugs me even more is that both of these players are back on the team regardless, no questions asked! Aguiar deserves better than these two.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think it's unfair to single out Aguiar as you have when Bircham and Jazic are back on the team even though they haven't compromised at all. I mean, Bircham says he's not coming back until Holger is gone --- talk about selfish! --- and Jazic has jerked us around more than once. What bugs me even more is that both of these players are back on the team regardless, no questions asked! Aguiar deserves better than these two.

People forget that some players actually play on a higher club level not by pure chance or because someone is stupid, but because they actually deserve it and can handle it. Then, see, you get called for the national team and play against other guys called for similar reasons, and you can handle it.

Look, I can accept that in a national top flight anywhere there will always be maybe 25% of the players who could just as well be a tier lower, just as in 2nd flights the world over there are maybe that percentage who could play perfectly well in top flight. But none of these guys are ever called for a national team, which is chosen from the best 20% in the top division (rare exceptions occur, such as when a club has just lost the category and the coach sticks with a player anyways).

In Canada we have a problem which is simply identifying who is the best, since we actually don't know if Reda in Norway is better than Watson at Charleston. We have to guess. I would imagine that a team that can fight for UEFA in Norway is probably better than Charleston maybe 70% of the time, maybe more. And since I know that when Sogndal play Rosenborg they have to defend better strikers than anyone in all of the A-League for sure, and likely guys who could be stars in MLS as well (Brattback seems to be the hottest). Sogndal tied Rosenborg in their league match. So I prefer Reda to Watson, even if I have never seen him play.

I think the same about a player at Benfica. The team is not what it used to be and has struggled of late, but for the coach, who happens to be the guy who handled Spain at the World Cup, to decide he wants a player and rejects him being loaned out to another Portugal side (Leiria, still alive in UEFA), well that is pretty good for me. He is sub for Petit, who until injury problems was a regular Portuguese international. Benfica is not as good as Porto and we know that Porto is a match for the best of teams from mid-level leagues, so if were to be between McKenna playing regularly at Hearts and Aguiar I wouldn't get too upset with Aguiar being bumped (esp with Hearts in third again this year). But for him to get bumped by guys in third tier England, well that is a bit much. He's at a higher level than Pozniak, than Imhof, obviously higher than Bent or Hastings, than Klukowki likely though we'll what gives with UEFA. Indeed this is the only reason that I can see to not call Aguiar and Klukowski, both have a UEFA match three days after our friendly and they might want to prepare. Though I doubt it has been the reason.

To me it shows that there is a highly distorting pollution in the air about England that infects some people in the football world and blinds them to the fact that the great traditions of English sides, the amazing fans, the history, do not make clubs like Plymouth or Tranmere into valid points of reference for world football. Okay, if it were QPR I am not going to argue about the importance, but 2nd div is just that, there are over 40 teams better than you and some 500 players at a higher level until you get to the level of Radzinski.

The English bias argument doesn't wash though. Unless of course every bloke and his mate is naming their lads "Holger" now-a-days.

Look, Im not debating Aguiar shouldnt be there. From the game I saw him play earlier this year, the guy would be a fantastic addition to our midfield and strictly on merit would start and make a difference.

There has to be more than meets the eye though. They're obviously looking to mend bridges with the current squad adding Jazic, Pesch, Bircham and even Watson (who could come in very handy come WCQ against the uber-minnows of CONCACAF). But aside from that, no experimentation at all.

I disagree with quite a few of the call ups, but Im not entirely bothered since really, as this game is irrelevant in the greater scheme unless Miller takes over the team. Plus, I really like ths strike force brought out for the game. It also gives a lot of insight onto how much depth we have at mid, as players like DeGuzman, Aguiar, Kluka, Hutchinson have been left off and the midfield still appears really solid.

For the most part though, it seems like a combo of Holger's leftovers and a few exiles. Now if our new manager calls up a squad like this for his first game, then watch me bring out the hatchet. :)

First off, I suspect de Guzman's absence has more to do with his Red Card in the Bundesliga than anything else. I scanned through the Fifa disciplinary code and didn't find anything specific but I can see a reluctance using a player in a Friendly that is facing a suspension. I hope...

As for the team that was named, I expect Nsaliwa in the back somewhere probably on the right side (where he played this past weekend). However, he has played a little in central defence with his club (like half a game or something).

Forward line looks solid.

Midfield would look better with de Guzman. Brennan, I doubt, will get any more than a half. I would agree that if Aguiar was available, he deserved a call.

Defence needs help (like Nsaliwa and Jazic). I don't think McKenna has been getting much game action in defence so I don't think I would start him back there. Hastings is playing for a club in the basement of the Dutch 2nd Division (not confidence instilling and I was surprised by his call). I kind of hope Miller experaments a little here.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

The English bias argument doesn't wash though. Unless of course every bloke and his mate is naming their lads "Holger" now-a-days.

Look, Im not debating Aguiar shouldnt be there. From the game I saw him play earlier this year, the guy would be a fantastic addition to our midfield and strictly on merit would start and make a difference.

There has to be more than meets the eye though. They're obviously looking to mend bridges with the current squad adding Jazic, Pesch, Bircham and even Watson (who could come in very handy come WCQ against the uber-minnows of CONCACAF). But aside from that, no experimentation at all.

I disagree with quite a few of the call ups, but Im not entirely bothered since really, as this game is irrelevant in the greater scheme unless Miller takes over the team. Plus, I really like ths strike force brought out for the game. It also gives a lot of insight onto how much depth we have at mid, as players like DeGuzman, Aguiar, Kluka, Hutchinson have been left off and the midfield still appears really solid.

For the most part though, it seems like a combo of Holger's leftovers and a few exiles. Now if our new manager calls up a squad like this for his first game, then watch me bring out the hatchet. :)

The reason I hint at an English bias is simple: if Holger or Miller had even the smallest hint of a bias towards the greatness of European clubs in general in function of their wins and trophies and great players and history then they would be in awe of Aguiar for making it onto Benfica. I think that Holger had this attitude about Jazic when he signed for Rapid, since he has a great respect for Rapid Vienna, the greatest of Austrian teams, though that is a distortion of present-day European reality. Same goes with Auld Firm. Do you think we'd not call up a Canadian at Rangers or Celtic? There is no way we could get away with it in Canada, no matter what. So this is not proving anything about England, except playing in England pulls a lot of weight in Canada, and its importance gets distorted out of proportion, so much so that there are huge numbers of fans in CAnada who can get more excited today about a guy playing for QPR making the Canada squad than a guy playing for Everton.

If I were a Portuguese Canadian I would take it as a huge affront that Aguiar is being ignored, since Benfica is simply put one of the great clubs in world football history, probably in the top 20. In fact I am surprised by their passivity, the silence of all the Portuguese fans with their clubs in Canada for example. Reda is another case, the Italians maybe have got a better shake in Canada but the fact that this one plays in an unknown side in Norway sure does not help him much. Do you think that if Reda was at the top of Div. 2 towards the end of the season at Sheffield Wednesday he'd get ignored by a Canada coach? Impossible.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The reason I hint at an English bias is simple: if Holger or Miller had even the smallest hint of a bias towards the greatness of European clubs in general in function of their wins and trophies and great players and history then they would be in awe of Aguiar for making it onto Benfica. I think that Holger had this attitude about Jazic when he signed for Rapid, since he has a great respect for Rapid Vienna, the greatest of Austrian teams, though that is a distortion of present-day European reality. Same goes with Auld Firm. Do you think we'd not call up a Canadian at Rangers or Celtic? There is no way we could get away with it in Canada, no matter what. So this is not proving anything about England, except playing in England pulls a lot of weight in Canada, and its importance gets distorted out of proportion, so much so that there are huge numbers of fans in CAnada who can get more excited today about a guy playing for QPR making the Canada squad than a guy playing for Everton.

True enough there, but I think with soccer fans in Canada, a club like Benfica holds more weight than say Wycombe. In fact, I bet if the media forced this issue, there could be quite an uproar. People know the name Benfica, and fans respect it. However, likewise, I think many Canadians overrate the 'playing in europe' factor to a similar degree.

If I were a Portuguese Canadian I would take it as a huge affront that Aguiar is being ignored, since Benfica is simply put one of the great clubs in world football history, probably in the top 20. In fact I am surprised by their passivity, the silence of all the Portuguese fans with their clubs in Canada for example.

While I think the 'affront to Portugese Canadians' is a bit over the top, I do think its odd the silence on the issue from all media sources in this country, be they Portugese-Canadian or mainstream. Then again, Da Costa and Davidson definitely focus more upon the big four, in particular, England. Itd be nice to see Davidson press the issue on this like he did on the Peschisolido omission.

Reda is another case, the Italians maybe have got a better shake in Canada but the fact that this one plays in an unknown side in Norway sure does not help him much. Do you think that if Reda was at the top of Div. 2 towards the end of the season at Sheffield Wednesday he'd get ignored by a Canada coach? Impossible.

Yes, but now we're definitely not dealing with a coach bias but more of a cultural bias. I think part of my response was more reactionary towards those saying that Miller was being biased since he was 'English' and wanted 'English' players. I can agree abut the societal soccer undercurrent of Eng-er-land being very popular.

I still think that despite all this, there is something more to the Aguiar and De Guzman emissions, and it does worry me.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

What is the source on this? I haven't been reading all the articles recently so perhaps I missed it. Are there more details available, like when and against who (in Europe or North America?)?

I read that in a Norm Da Costa interview with Colin Miller, printed in the Toronto Star a little while ago. Miller indicated that he was hoping to have one more friendly as coach before the new coach *coughYallopcough* takes over. Then you have to figure a new coach would also get at least one friendly under his belt. Whether it happens is anybody's guess of course, but that's the intention.

Mind you, it could be that they are waiting to see if the Cayman Islands and Montserrat are about to get them a couple more "friendlies" in the first round of qualifying.

I like a good squad debate as much as the next guy, but I don't read a whole lot into this. Simply put I think our concerns about who Colin Miller considers to be our best 18 players will be a concern for one game tops. Even then it's one game and I'm not too bothered. In 99 you got the feeling Twamley didn't expect much from his game in charge and he brought in a lot of youth.

Here you get the idea that Miller a) feels it's a good audition for the job and B) realizes WCQ is right around the corner and he would be doing the program a diservice to completely overhaul the team for one friendly. So he picked a lot of vets he knew, a few Holger exiles and the best of the rest except Aguiar and DeGuzman. Since Aguiar's been out of the scene so long, it makes a bit of sense he didn't get recalled and I agree with G-L that I'm assuming club difficulties for DeGuzman.

Klukowski, Reda, Gervais, etc all are pretty much untested. Richard Hastings is the only player to start every game since the ConfedCup (I'm 90% sure that's correct). Maybe he shouldn't be, but I can see why Hastings is there if Miller wants to keep some continuity.

My only hope for this game is that we stay healthy, do our country proud and get to see as many players as possible so we can start answering some questions before the new manager is hired.

cheers,

matthew

wow! opinios sure change fast. in the beginning of the thread people are satisfied with the squad and as the thread goes on people are calling for Miller's head! You cant please everyone. Canada only calls an 18 man roster, as opposed to other countries who may call 21-23. Some of the players named that werent called like De Guzman Reda, Huthinson, Kluka, Canizalez and Aguiar are surprising to a few. The only really big surprise omission is De Guzman. Its a little surprising that Aguair is not there because of the "Holger exile theme to the squad but we dont know if he was contacted or not. For all we know Aguiar could have declined the offer. As for Kluka, Huthinson, and canizalez well they are still pretty green with the nats, also some people suggested Atiba, maycoll and De guzman might be spared for the olympic qualifying. we really can only speculate. Although I dont understand why its a big shock Reda wasnt called, he is not even on the csa list of players. I dont buy that there is an english bias. common guys we are just grasping at straws here. an interesting theory? yes. perhaps coincidental? but Pozniak was called, Nsaliwa was called, Imoff was called, Hastings was called, Jazic re called and of course Stalteri. There is a veteran theme to this friendly but there is some youth outside of english football aswell. The fact is you cant call everybody. The common worry to this squad is the defence which is understandable. Fenwick and McKenna not even playing for there clubs at the moment with Hastings always shaky and Watson aging. But Pozniak and Nsaliwa are pretty solid and Brennan and JAzic can always step in the back line when needed. our midfield is pretty goood with Bircham, Bent, Stalteri, Brennan, Jazic, Hume etc. And our attackline is the best we have to offer. We have all been waiting paitently for these three to re unite so there really are no other alternatives for attacking options. Hume is also there if need be in attack. Sure some calls are questionable, but Miller is going with what he knows. This squad is fairly decent and really doesnt call for all this concern. WCQ is a 2 year process players will be coming in and out of the fold all the time. For guys like Fenwick and Watson, this could be there last chance to proove them selves still worthy of internatinal football. For the "exiles" They were brought back to add depth to the player pool. This is a mend fences and a reuniting friendly. We know the youth will always be there this could be a Veteran scope to see which ones can cut it and which ones cannot. So not to drone on anymore here would be my starting xi for the friendly

Hirschfeld

Pozniak

Brennan

Watson

Nsaliwa

Bircham

Bent

Jazic

Stalteri

Radzinski

Peschisolido

subs

Onstad

De Rosario

Fenwick

Mckenna

Hastings

Imoff

Hume

I am assuming that the "exiles will probably get the start but im sure more substitutions will be made than Holger made in friendlies.

To close its not a bad squad, its whatmany have been been asking for. We havent seen these group of players all together in a long time, (some never) Its different and its worth a try. we shouldnt complain to much. Finland have a good squad and it will be a tough match, but i think the point was lets just get these players playing again.

I am excited to see our lads under the direction of a different coach after so many years. But allow me some speculation about Miller choices. If Miller consideres himself that he is there just for a little while and basically on his way out, why would he care too much as to who is being called. The roster seems pretty strong so is not the case that he is just throwing the game away. Or, maybe he wants to have a look at players he has not seen or is not sure about, so he can either rule them out for the future or make them staples. I will not write-off Miller until he has had the chance of coach the team a bit and play a few games. Unfortunately that may not happen if the CSA is ready to appoint someone soon. The last I heard was that no appointment will take place until after December. Whoever gets the job, I hope the CSA will take its time and research well so as to ensure they get a man that will move our team to at least the top 30 in Fifa ratings.

I am excited to see our lads under the direction of a different coach after so many years. But allow me some speculation about Miller choices. If Miller consideres himself that he is there just for a little while and basically on his way out, why would he care too much as to who is being called. The roster seems pretty strong so is not the case that he is just throwing the game away. Or, maybe he wants to have a look at players he has not seen or is not sure about, so he can either rule them out for the future or make them staples. I will not write-off Miller until he has had the chance of coach the team a bit and play a few games. Unfortunately that may not happen if the CSA is ready to appoint someone soon. The last I heard was that no appointment will take place until after December. Whoever gets the job, I hope the CSA will take its time and research well so as to ensure they get a man that will move our team to at least the top 30 in Fifa ratings.

Guest Jeffery S.

Look, I know I am pissed off about Aguiar since I like him and he was kind enough to call me once to thank me for the support I give him. I think his mentality and his fight are incredible, what the guy has done with so little in his favour and so little support outside his own drive is amazing. I am also convinced he could help Canada a lot.

But let me try to say a few positive things about the call-up. First, since Bircham had said he wouldn't play under Holger, Miller has here shown some independance, all power to him. He also seems like a player who can help us. Also in his favour is calling Pesch, who for all his ups and downs is now up with Sheffield Utd, scoring, starting, he deserves a call. I also think the fact he's insisted on Jazic is great. If he likes Lars and Pat over Kenny, then he was in his right to leave the latter out too, he is showing his own criteria here and it sounds fine by me.

Overall the team is very good except maybe in the middle at the back, and if de Vos were healthy his mere presence would have balanced things out. I am worried about the Finland game but not mid to long term about this question.

About who he left out. Xausa has been injured lately and probably is not ready, was subbed out of a game early recently. All the young guys are probably being saved as they have to do a tough trip for Olympic qualifying, Europe to El Salvador to Kelowna. If he'd left Hume off I wouldn't have minded. As for Atiba, what I don't get is that his season will be over by then, so there is no point in saving him for then for club politics. Perhaps he has a knock, though I think he sat out the last league game due to accumulated yellow cards. The only real doubt amongst the regulars is De Guzman, no league games for him this weekend and of course his cards in Bundesliga do not carry over into internationals.

As for the guys playing in lower tier England, I sure hope this is not going to be a problem with their clubs. Perhaps it is a way to send a message out, since WC qualifying is coming up. Given the way managers are in those clubs the call may hurt their club chances a bit (Brennan especially has yet to fit in at Norwich), but if the players are willing to take the flack then I'll give them credit for it.

A-League has been stopped for a few weeks, so it is logical not to have more from there, and at least we can argue that Watson is the player who ended most recently and is closest to game shape. Hope this turns out to be true.

In the end the only real question marks are de Guzman, Reda and Aguiar. For me they could all be starters in Finland, Reda mostly because de Vos is out. And Atiba.

I can only assume that if Miller really wants the job he knows he has to do well in this one, so his motivation is high, he's called who he thinks can do it for him. Too bad they don't all do it for me.

I was not suggesting that his cards carry over into internationals but this is a friendly and national associations may have an understanding about respecting another's disciplinary actions.

Of course, formally, there would not be a carry over. I would not be surprised that national coaches, especially, would respect the disciplinary actions of their domestic league. I don't have any examples but there are likely a few. Again, we are talking about a friendly here.

Secondly, I did read a few weeks back that de Guzman was playing with a knee injury.

From The Toronto Star:

Oct. 7, 2003. 01:00 AM

Foursome back in soccer fold

Will rejoin Canada for Saturday match against Finland

Interim coach Miller starts building base for World Cup qualifying

NORMAN DA COSTA

SPORTS REPORTER

Canada's interim national men's soccer coach Colin Miller is keeping his word.

Miller, who said when he was hired that he would leave the door open for any disgruntled players who fell out of favour with former coach Holger Osieck, will welcome back four such players for an exhibition match against Finland at Tampere on Saturday.

Striker Paul Peschisolido and defender-midfielder Ante Jazic, who were not part of Osieck's plans, are back, along with midfielder Marc Bircham and defender Mark Watson, who announced their international retirement in 2001.

Immediately after Osieck resigned two months ago, the four got in touch with the Canadian Soccer Association to say they would like to be considered for international duty again.

"I was very happy with the positive response I received after being asked to look after the squad," Miller said before leaving for Finland yesterday. "I know what it means for them to play for their country and I am prepared to give them a chance. I played with Pesh and Waddy (Watson) and I know they wear their hearts on their sleeves.

"I have heard great things about Bircham and I know he, along with Jazic, will strengthen our squad," added Miller, who has applied for the post vacated by Osieck.

Peschisolido (Sheffield United), Bircham (Queen's Park Rangers) and Jazic (Rapid Vienna) last played for Canada in 2001.

"It is certainly great to be back on the national squad," said Watson, who won the A-League championship with Charleston Battery this season. "We will have a full complement of players for this game and that is a positive sign of things to come."

Miller said that because qualifying for the 2006 World Cup has been moved ahead to January, it is imperative that he starts to build a solid base of players.

"There is not much time before qualifying begins, so it is my intention to get the squad in as good shape as possible before the new coach gets here," added Miller.

The CSA, which has received about 70 applications from around the world, hopes to have a permanent coach in place in early December.

The 18-member squad for Finland is a mixture of youth and experience, with the emphasis on the latter.

Miller was also happy to report that Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski had made himself available. He has not represented Canada since last October, when he suited up against Scotland. Injuries have since kept him away from a number of matches.

"With a world-class player like Radzinski back, we now have a first-class attack along with Pesch and Dwayne (De Rosario). De Rosario (San Jose Earthquakes) and Pesch are getting goals and that is good news for the team," Miller said. "The Finns are a good, solid team with a number of skilful players, so it will be a tough test for Canada."

Pat Onstad, who established a team record for shutouts in helping San Jose win the MLS West Division title, is likely to keep goal. His backup will be Lars Hirschfeld, who will join the squad in Tampere tomorrow.

The only seasoned player out of the game is captain Jason de Vos, of Wigan of the English First Division, who is recovering from a broken bone in his foot.

The bigger question is why haven't we been told the reason why de Guzman wasn't named. I think that question needs to be asked of the CSA. If this was England and Beckham wasn't named, there would be a huge controversy (or Ronaldo for Brazil).

Clearly De Guzman is a top three player for Canada. He is one of three players starting in a Top 4 league. I think the fans need to be informed.

The reasons may be legitimate as in my earlier post but if this sport is to be taken seriously, the press and the fans need to be informed.

Archived