canadian players

tukkijätkä

You have absolutely no idea how our qualifying works. What it's like, nor who is involved. I can't see you qualifying out the group listed above or whatever Euro group you're in, but in a group of say Mexico, T&T and Panama I don't think you'd fare much better. I would be impressed if you got a single point on the road and I don't fancy you beating Mexico at home either. That leaves you needing to beat T&T by more at home than they beat you there.

I'm not saying Canada is going to qualify either, but qualifying through CONCACAF is pretty difficult, not just because of the decent teams (US, Mexico and Costa Rica did fairly well at the last World Cup and Honduras was of the same quality IMO), but because there are so few spaces (little room for error) and all of the intangibles (weather, fans, officiating, etc).

I have no idea what kind of team we'll send to Finland and I suspect you won't have your top team either, so this game won't settle the quality issue, but it would be nice if you had just a shred of open-mindedness. If you know everything about us and how inferior we are, why are you here? Just to try to goad us? How small, petty and provincial.

At least our inferiority complex is earned. We live in the US' shadow. You guys have a little man complex because you're next to Sweden?!

It's no wonder the two Finish women I knew married foreigners. I was trying to be open-minded about the Finnish invasion here, but you guys all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

cheers,

matthew

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by matthew

You have absolutely no idea how our qualifying works. What it's like, nor who is involved. I can't see you qualifying out the group listed above or whatever Euro group you're in, but in a group of say Mexico, T&T and Panama I don't think you'd fare much better. I would be impressed if you got a single point on the road and I don't fancy you beating Mexico at home either. That leaves you needing to beat T&T by more at home than they beat you there.

I'm not saying Canada is going to qualify either, but qualifying through CONCACAF is pretty difficult, not just because of the decent teams (US, Mexico and Costa Rica did fairly well at the last World Cup and Honduras was of the same quality IMO), but because there are so few spaces (little room for error) and all of the intangibles (weather, fans, officiating, etc).

I have no idea what kind of team we'll send to Finland and I suspect you won't have your top team either, so this game won't settle the quality issue, but it would be nice if you had just a shred of open-mindedness. If you know everything about us and how inferior we are, why are you here? Just to try to goad us? How small, petty and provincial.

At least our inferiority complex is earned. We live in the US' shadow. You guys have a little man complex because you're next to Sweden?!

It's no wonder the two Finish women I knew married foreigners. I was trying to be open-minded about the Finnish invasion here, but you guys all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

cheers,

matthew

Matthew. You're normally so even tempered. [8D]

Truth is, I've been wondering if the "invasion" is really anything more than one or two guys with too much time on their hands and a trunk full of sockpuppets.

Do you really think Canadians have an inferiority complex? Its always been my belief that the exact opposite is true: That we are too smug in the belief of cultural superiority.

Actually, Finland isn't even a real country. Sakuu Koivu is awesome, but he had to come to Canada to become recognized internationally. Yes,there are a handful of Finns playing in the EPL, but Finland is still a long way from being a useful footballing nation. A good portion of Finland's population is culturally Swedish. In fact, Finland spends most of its time trying to prove to the world that it is distinct from Sweden. (sort of like Canada's plight with the US). In many ways, the international consensus is that Finland is a colder, duller, more sparsely populated suburb of Stockholm. Can the Finns ski-jump? You're darn tootin' Does anybody in the world give a damn? Not a bit.

Oh, and for any of you out there that pretends that Canada is a "nice, kind and always diplomatic country"--when it comes to sports (and many other things) we are hard and fierce and not-nice-at-all.

Bring on these pansy Finns--let's show them how real Nordic men behave.

Oh yes, and in our language, pansy is roughly the Finnish equivalent of "Arse-packer" which is roughly the Swedish equivalent for "Finnish"

"Things Canadians can do better than Finns in the sporting world:

Everything else."

try to remember that you won last year in ice-kendo WC, because we let you, only to get even with swedes?

have you ever heard about good Canadian skier?

what about athletics, say one event where you did better?

okay who cares about ice-kendo and athletics, as long as we beat you at soccer, what we will do, when you are coming here

by the way are there any Canadians coming to Finland?

"Lets find some of these Finns and set them on fire, or better yet, set them loose in a room full of Swedes."

is that suppose to be funny, i think it just sad that you are trying to be funny and scary

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Truth is, I've been wondering if the "invasion" is really anything more than one or two guys with too much time on their hands and a trunk full of sockpuppets.

The reason why these one or two guys have too much time on their hands is that there was a fire in the Helsinki University Library and both books were burned. Now they have nothing left to colour! ... These Finnish guys would have invaded these boards sooner but there was a power-outage in Helsinki and they were trapped on an escalator.

quote:Originally posted by tukkijätkä

is that suppose to be funny, i think it just sad that you are trying to be funny and scary

Uh oh, we made the Finns sad. How, er, unfortunate.

As for the athletics question, let's just compare our results in the last decade or so... olympic and world athletics champion 100m sprinter... olympic and world track champions 4x100m... medalist in high jump in the recent world track championships... gold medalist in wrestling, silver medalist in judo in Sydney... numerous medals in swimming and diving in the last few olympics... and so on.

I'm not sure how the Finns have fared in these or other events lately. I do remember some blue jerseys that were passed in a blur of motion when the camera was tracking our guys; was that the Finns then?

And incidentally the early 80s had numerous Canadian medalists at numerous ski events (though no olympic medals, it's true; those were in the 90s). The Finns are doubtless superior to Canadians in skiing and related sports (except for freestyle cross-country skiing, since Becky Scott kicked everyone's non-drug-enhanced butt in the last olympics), but I'm drawing a blank for pretty much everything else.

So what would you like to talk about next? Basketball? Speed skating? You'll let us know, right?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

who's your best in lets say tennis? you don't have player in Top 50

how about alpineskiing, we have world's best slalomist

but all this is useless we can argue who has the best tennis player or who is better in curling

all that matter is that we are superior to you in soccer->

FIFA-rankings:, fresh from the fifa.com, Finland 42. - Canada 78.

we got one player in English Premiership's All-Star Sami Hyypiä

Birminghams best goalscorer, only one game played, Mikael Forssell

then we got Jari Litmanen, i don't have to say more, but i say

i think he has more UCL goals than any Canadian, he's Ajax's most beloved player ever, it hink they have builded a statue to him it's now standig front of the ArenA

who's your best in lets say tennis? you don't have player in Top 50

Olympic gold medals won by Canada in tennis in Sydney: 1

Olympic gold medals won by Finland in tennis in Sydney: 0

I know the olympics aren't everything, but I think that medal count should help to wave away the fog of whatever it is you're smoking.

quote:but all this is useless we can argue who has the best tennis player or who is better in curling

all that matter is that we are superior to you in soccer

Well we know who's better at curling. I'm still waiting for a prediction of the score from you though. Care to speculate?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

"Things Canadians can do better than Finns in the sporting world:

Everything else."

try to remember that you won last year in ice-kendo WC, because we let you, only to get even with swedes?

have you ever heard about good Canadian skier?

what about athletics, say one event where you did better?

okay who cares about ice-kendo and athletics, as long as we beat you at soccer, what we will do, when you are coming here

by the way are there any Canadians coming to Finland?

"Lets find some of these Finns and set them on fire, or better yet, set them loose in a room full of Swedes."

Finland, one of the few countries colder than Canada. You played your asses off against us. Selanne played like he had the heart of a Canadian but you still couldn't pull it out.

Anyhow, martial arts, football, basketball, rugby, thumb wrestling..you name it and we are better than you. Hell, we're even sometimes better than you at skiing too. Karen Lee-Gartner anyone?

See the sad thing is, we all know you're kidding and that you love Canada but it's still fun to beat up on the Finns whenever we can. Quick, name a famous finn that isn't in sports. What? There are none? Wait, wasn't that dude in Rocky IV a Finn? Or didn't the Mighty Ducks beat the Finns in one of their many movies?

Anyhow, Canada has beaten better team than Finland so don't be surprised if youre left holding your manly girlfriend and your dingdong in the same hand when you get throttled 3-0.

Now eveyrone sing along..O' Canada......

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

Olympic gold medals won by Canada in tennis in Sydney: 1

Olympic gold medals won by Finland in tennis in Sydney: 0

I know the olympics aren't everything, but I think that medal count should help to wave away the fog of whatever it is you're smoking.

Well we know who's better at curling. I'm still waiting for a prediction of the score from you though. Care to speculate?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Quick, name a Finish track & field athlete. What? You can't? Well neither can they.

Finland is an insignificant country full of insignificant people who are best known for things they've done outside of Finland.

And for the flamer who compared Canada and Finland in FIFA rankings. How bad is it that Finland has to resort to playing CANADA instead of 'real competition'.

I poop on Suomi.

Alex

"I'm still waiting for a prediction of the score from you though. Care to speculate?"

okay...

it's hard to say when you don't know who are playing, personally i hope that walrus will make lots of experiments, like new strikers(sheep and sulk aren't good enough)and some U21-players, but i think it's not going to happen

i'd say now 4-1, but i put better analysis closer to the game

Yeah I think much of Canadian culture is a culture of negation, but that's not really something I feel like debating here.

I just felt like a good rant. It was 4 a.m., I'd just finished a night of work and felt like winding up a Finn.

The irony for me is that I've always cheered for Finland second in most sports. I tend to support the Scandanavian countries after Canada. I know a couple of Finns and a friend of mine lived there for a year and loved it.

Then these idiots come on here and make an American troll look thoughtful. Oh well.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Actually, Finland isn't even a real country. Sakuu Koivu is awesome, but he had to come to Canada to become recognized internationally. Yes,there are a handful of Finns playing in the EPL, but Finland is still a long way from being a useful footballing nation. A good portion of Finland's population is culturally Swedish. In fact, Finland spends most of its time trying to prove to the world that it is distinct from Sweden. (sort of like Canada's plight with the US). In many ways, the international consensus is that Finland is a colder, duller, more sparsely populated suburb of Stockholm. Can the Finns ski-jump? You're darn tootin' Does anybody in the world give a damn? Not a bit.

Oh, and for any of you out there that pretends that Canada is a "nice, kind and always diplomatic country"--when it comes to sports (and many other things) we are hard and fierce and not-nice-at-all.

Bring on these pansy Finns--let's show them how real Nordic men behave.

Oh yes, and in our language, pansy is roughly the Finnish equivalent of "Arse-packer" which is roughly the Swedish equivalent for "Finnish"

Sorry to disagree with you on Saku Koivu. I'm a Montreal Canadien's fan and IMO Saku Koivu is the most overrated player in the Canadien's history. The guy scored like 100 goals in 500 games, he's always on the power play and the first line. He's treated like a superstar but his statistics are very weak. He's far away from Lafleur, Shutt, Richard, Beliveau and Co.

A black future ahead!

Ice Hockey, Curling, insignificant country with HOORAY! insignificant people, Rocky IV, Olympic tennis, two books in a flamable library, Sweden, yet another Sweden (quite frankly you don't even know where Sweden is? Or o you?), Sweden, insignificancy, Ski jumping, ski eating, snow and drunk finnish polar bears who didn't winn the World War!

And on a Football(soccer) site you come up with this crap?

But who said:

"Things Finns can do better than Canadians in the sporting world:

Play soccer"

Northern Star is the title given to the cutest 6 year old figure skater at the northern ice fishing derby in Lac La Ronge Saskatchewan. The "cutest" is determined by the girl who sells the most lottery tickets - said tickets having the pictures of the one of the contestants. Northern Stars are judged solely on their dimples and not on their intelligence. Clearly this is true of Finland as well.

Canada will thrash Finland in soccer come October. We will do so soundly. Afterwards, the male travelling fans will have their way with any and all attractive Finnish women and do so with such skill and vigour that no Finnish male will get anything other than a mercy boink any time after October 11, 2003. So, Northern Star, I'd suggest that, rather than coming and acting boorish on our board, you use the time left to you to get as much as possible before the Finnish women find out that there is much, much more out there.

3-1 Canada, with the Finnish goal coming on a 35 meter OG by Paul Fenwick.

PS Said with love.

PPS And should Finland manage the impossible and win, Finnish women will still be left pining for their Canadian sugar daddies, so it really is a no win situation for you. Get Busy.

This is too funny.:D

God, I hope this thread carries on into October. The sort of rants which make a Cheeta proud.

On the subject of ice fishing, a subject Finns and Canucks can equaly relate to, remind me Gordon to one day recount the tale of a certain Cheeta sibling, a Dodge Power Wagon, a two four of Club[xx(] and the unhappy loss of many, many, ice fishing shacks towards the seasons end on the Red River oh so many years ago.

Guest Jeffery S.

Re Finns being better than Canadians in sport. I would have to say auto racing, since in rally driving they are fantastic. They have more depth in Formula 1 as well, without the Villeneuve clan we are weak. Though indeed we are rising in other aspects of this wide world (Tracey et al) I think that they would have the edge overall.

The Finns have done well in the past in long distance running, and in throwing events on in the field are better as well.

Hey Finns, you would actually be better in football if it weren't for the fact that your best players are all from East Karelia.

Archived