Concacaf 2nd Competition?

I think there is a big benefit to having CPL teams in a competition v LigaMX and MLS teams. Some people have said they prefer Concacaf League because it was more competitive. But can anyone say Concacaf Champions Cup is any less competitive than UEFA Champions League? I can barely watch the group stage any more.

So to get the best of both worlds I think they should expand Champions Cup to a round 32 teams. (1 more CPL, 2 more CAmerica, 1 more Carib, 1 more Leagues Cup or USL dum dum dum) 16 winning teams continue on. The losing 16 teams enter Concacaf League. You could continue with a bracket or you would even have the perfect number to create a group play. 

So you still have that opportunity for big teams, big gates, Cinderella run but you also get a solid competition like a Europa or Sudamericana for the non mega clubs to potentially win

Edited by SpursFlu

As much as I miss Concacaf league because CPL teams were facing clubs they could definitely get a good result from, it was great being at Tim Hortons Field with 11 000+ fans. Half of which were Mexican faithful. That kind of draw wouldn't be as large with say Tauro from Panama. CPL does need the money from the bigger crowds. Your suggestions are great but would it make the money Concacaf wants/needs? Which begs another question. Before CPL, watching MLS teams struggling in this competition I would always read comments from Mexicans laughing at the fact that no one in Mexico cared about Concacaf champions league, and why did we take it so seriously? Wonder if that was true(were they just shit talking?) and if so, is that stance changing? I find it hard to believe a well organized massive Concacaf Cup involving all, minnows to giants, wouldn't have a massive audience. 

26 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

As much as I miss Concacaf league because CPL teams were facing clubs they could definitely get a good result from, it was great being at Tim Hortons Field with 11 000+ fans. Half of which were Mexican faithful. That kind of draw wouldn't be as large with say Tauro from Panama. CPL does need the money from the bigger crowds. Your suggestions are great but would it make the money Concacaf wants/needs? Which begs another question. Before CPL, watching MLS teams struggling in this competition I would always read comments from Mexicans laughing at the fact that no one in Mexico cared about Concacaf champions league, and why did we take it so seriously? Wonder if that was true(were they just shit talking?) and if so, is that stance changing? I find it hard to believe a well organized massive Concacaf Cup involving all, minnows to giants, wouldn't have a massive audience. 

Keep in mind in my suggestion ypu would likely get a couple MLS and LigaMX teams in the Concacaf League as well. Just like Europa ultimately gets big teams in their finals as well. So yah I think it would be interesting with the bigger teams in at the end as well. For instance, based on tonight's result, Whitecaps would be in Concacaf League

Edited by SpursFlu

They won't go back to it, but I really liked the CONCACAF League.  Give teams at approximately the same level a chance to battle it out.

Being in the CONCACAF Cup gives CPL teams a chance at a big payday (if they draw an attractive opponent and don't have to play their home game in another province) but I don't think getting slammed by a big club does nearly as much for player development as the old League format did.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:29 PM, Kingston said:

They won't go back to it, but I really liked the CONCACAF League.  Give teams at approximately the same level a chance to battle it out.

Being in the CONCACAF Cup gives CPL teams a chance at a big payday (if they draw an attractive opponent and don't have to play their home game in another province) but I don't think getting slammed by a big club does nearly as much for player development as the old League format did.

At this point, I would prefer/advocate for CPL clubs to be given access to the Leagues Cup for many reasons like in season form, and no issues with hosting.

I think the main issue is the start time of the tournament, and the CPL start. You can’t prepare on a whim for two games no matter how you spin it.

I wish this tournament would go back to the old way with the group stage. 

If I was given the choice between CPL teams in Leagues Cup and the creation of a 2nd Continental club competition, I would definitely take the 2nd Continental Club competition 

They should just kill Leagues Cup in my opinion. You already have 16 LigaMX/MLS teams in Champions Cup. That's enough

Edited by SpursFlu

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If I was given the choice between CPL teams in Leagues Cup and the creation of a 2nd Continental club competition, I would definitely take the 2nd Continental Club competition 

I understand this but let me counter it.  For me, there's more positives in having ALL CPL teams join Leagues Cup, vs 1 or 2 joining a second club competition.

1. MLS/Liga MX teams will draw a lot better than Moca, Cavalier, or even Saprissa. Which brings more revenue.

2. CPL clubs will be in season. Anything can happen with real match fitness vs playing a game months before your season starts.

3. Exposure is greater. Again playing against MLS/LigaMX is a better litmus test for our guys. A player could play two great games against those teams (still lose) but be a standout that teams from those leagues could take a punt on.

The only negative is that CPL teams would rarely win games. But again the positive would be that they get to face different teams each year.

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

They should just kill Leagues Cup in my opinion. You already have 16 LigaMX/MLS teams in Champions Cup. That's enough

Now this is what I completely agree with. I'm actually getting sick of MLS and them acting like they are the EPL.

Just make a Super League, and call it a day. Saves all the other gimmicks. 

They strong armed Concacaf into making the Leagues Cup relevant, and strong armed them with this version of the tournament.

Now they have 16 of 27 teams in the tournament, and if Toluca wasn't so shit it would be Leagues Cup in March all over again.

image.thumb.png.b8c98190a784b0bd4adf105699fddd84.png

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I understand this but let me counter it.  For me, there's more positives in having ALL CPL teams join Leagues Cup, vs 1 or 2 joining a second club competition.

1. MLS/Liga MX teams will draw a lot better than Moca, Cavalier, or even Saprissa. Which brings more revenue.

2. CPL clubs will be in season. Anything can happen with real match fitness vs playing a game months before your season starts.

3. Exposure is greater. Again playing against MLS/LigaMX is a better litmus test for our guys. A player could play two great games against those teams (still lose) but be a standout that teams from those leagues could take a punt on.

The only negative is that CPL teams would rarely win games. But again the positive would be that they get to face different teams each year.

Now this is what I completely agree with. I'm actually getting sick of MLS and them acting like they are the EPL.

Just make a Super League, and call it a day. Saves all the other gimmicks. 

They strong armed Concacaf into making the Leagues Cup relevant, and strong armed them with this version of the tournament.

Now they have 16 of 27 teams in the tournament, and if Toluca wasn't so shit it would be Leagues Cup in March all over again.

image.thumb.png.b8c98190a784b0bd4adf105699fddd84.png

I remember reading somewhere that when Concacaf first switched to knock-out only format MLS was asked when they preferred the tournament to happen. They said at the start of the year (because they didn't want it to coincide with their playoffs). They really only have themselves to blame for how poorly they perform overall in it.

Really, especially now with the added round, this tournament should run from April to November. Take a break in June and July for the major tournaments. It would be a lot fairer for everyone involved (including the MLS teams).

This year is extra compressed because it needs to end by June 2 (for Nations League and Copa).

Any MLS team that makes a long run in CCC will do badly in the league. Thankfully with the 9 playoff team format most of them will be ok.

Of all the major Confederations, Concacaf is the only one that doesn't run a group stage in its Champions League (not looking up what Oceania does). I wish they would bring that back.

I would love for the CPL to join the Leagues Cup in theory but I think at the moment they're not competitive enough. I also think it's already a bloated competition as far as numbers especially to have a group play