Match Thread: September 18, 2023 - HFX Wanderers v Atletico Ottawa

narduch

In the absence of a dedicated thread for the race for the remaining playoff spots, here's how I see it.

HFX is really home and cooled with a 4 point gap to York and two free spaces on their bingo card (at Vancouver, at Valour). They could even challenge for 3rd with a result in the home match against Forge.

Ottawa also gets a freebie home to Valour, but the October 1st match at York could be decisive.

York has the Ottawa match, of course, but before that plays at Cavalry. They do play Vancouver on the final weekend of the season, but will there be anything left to play for?

All that said, the new playoff format really does favour teams finishing higher, not only with a home field advantage. Which is as it should be. Do I think Cavalry can lose at home twice before the final? Seems unlikely to me.

Go Cavs.

40 minutes ago, jonovision said:

In the absence of a dedicated thread for the race for the remaining playoff spots, here's how I see it.

HFX is really home and cooled with a 4 point gap to York and two free spaces on their bingo card (at Vancouver, at Valour). They could even challenge for 3rd with a result in the home match against Forge.

Ottawa also gets a freebie home to Valour, but the October 1st match at York could be decisive.

York has the Ottawa match, of course, but before that plays at Cavalry. They do play Vancouver on the final weekend of the season, but will there be anything left to play for?

All that said, the new playoff format really does favour teams finishing higher, not only with a home field advantage. Which is as it should be. Do I think Cavalry can lose at home twice before the final? Seems unlikely to me.

Go Cavs.

Those free spaces make me nervous.  We also HAVE TO PLAY U21 PLAYERS NOW (I'm yelling to the heavens, not at you)... that's going to make those games pretty even... we still have nice cushion on York and a buffer on Ottawa now... so the playoffs seem very much within reach (finally).