Road to the Dominican Republic - 2024 u17 World Cup

Pre-tourney, I didn't give Canada much chance to qualify (for the first time ever)given their recent track record vs Mexico and playing against them at home. 

Then, it was reinforced seeing this team was same as usual. Some individual talents, some players who could one or two things well and rest being not noteworthy. Add in that this team looked more disconnected and had no progressive fullbacks to make up for the usual lack of attacking mids. Other than the first match, they had a hard time connecting with A Chukwu. Pass completion rate vs US was below 60% with 32% possession. 

In contrast, I see an evolution in the US youth development. They still dominate but it's by playing football rather than through just speed, fitness and athleticism. 

Edited by red card

A couple things. I haven't seen Keira Martin's shot power mentioned. That girl can crush the ball. Amazing goal I think against Panama.

Alyssa Mcleod looked impressive against Mexico. Although the commentator kept saying she is 13, but the only info I could find was that she is 14. Either way, a heck of an accomplishment to even make the team, let alone get on the field and do so well.

The loss against Mexico was tough. Mexico was probably the better team, but from what I saw it looked like the goal that was called off for an out of bounds should have been a legitimate goal. I can't remember exactly when it happened and of course it didn't make CONCACAF's highlights, so I haven't been able to go back and rewatch it carefully. If I remember correctly, that was still in regular time right?

12 hours ago, Kent said:

A couple things. I haven't seen Keira Martin's shot power mentioned. That girl can crush the ball. Amazing goal I think against Panama.

Alyssa Mcleod looked impressive against Mexico. Although the commentator kept saying she is 13, but the only info I could find was that she is 14. Either way, a heck of an accomplishment to even make the team, let alone get on the field and do so well.

The loss against Mexico was tough. Mexico was probably the better team, but from what I saw it looked like the goal that was called off for an out of bounds should have been a legitimate goal. I can't remember exactly when it happened and of course it didn't make CONCACAF's highlights, so I haven't been able to go back and rewatch it carefully. If I remember correctly, that was still in regular time right?

Announcer made so many factual errors from getting McLeod age wrong to getting Canada's goal scorer wrong for more than a few minutes even with numerous replays being shown to continually incorrectly saying DR is the first Concacaf host for u17 W World Cup. 

Canada's second goal that was called off was around 86th minute. Ball looked to be out of bounds.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 125111.jpg

Davidson article quotes Humphries saying Kerfoot funded the training and 2 matches played in Portugal in November.

She also said Mexico funding is probably the best in the world. They have played every top team in the world. They also have benefit of pro academies with 2/3 of the players from LigaMX Fem. This is the closest we've come in about 12 years.

Not mentioned in the article is that Mexico also taps the US market with 7 on the squad playing in elite US youth leagues. The Canadian players come from 3 teams that are fully or quasi under Canada Soccer. Given these 3 teams generally win their L1s, there aren't enough elite level players/coaches that can challenge them. Maybe some re-allocation of funding is required. With Project 8 launch, a chunk of these NDC players should be moved over. As with the men, it's also an indictment of development in youth clubs in the 6-13 age groups. 

This team looked more disconnected than previous editions. And the Mexican team looked less talented than their previous editions. So not much solace in Humphries saying this is the closest we've come in about 12 years.

I would be interested to know how much of the $2.8m in OTP funding for 2023-24 is being allocated to youth teams or is it soley for the senior team.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/national-sports/concacaf-u-17-championship-loss-leaves-questions-about-canada-soccer-youth-funding-8287928

• 2 weeks later...

Humphries does some post-mortem talk with Footy Prime.

Post the last u17 World Cup quick exit, they revised the curriculum. They went with players being asked to solve problems. Instead of a defined Canada style, it would vary depending on what the players were seeing in the match. So, I will surmise that then many of the players weren't ready for being challenged by higher level players & tactics which led to taking the easy way out with long balls or disconnection from not seeing the same things.

Humphries seemed to be leaning heavily on Project 8 launch to solve the inherent problems. She says it isn't a good sign all NDC teams win their L1s. Too many L1 teams play the same style. She doesn't believe the NCAA route is the best for the top NDC kids. Despite all the development issues and poorly performing youth teams, Canada still manages to advance 2-3 players per cycle to the senior squad.

Edited by red card