Match Thread: August 3, 2022 - Valour v Cavalry

Dyer should be back today, while Ascanio is suspended. Is Ponce still injured? How do we line up today?

Cavalry only have one win against a team in the top half of the table this year. That won't change tonight, obviously, but I think there's an opportunity here for Valour.

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Dyer should be back today, while Ascanio is suspended. Is Ponce still injured? How do we line up today?

Ponce is "questionable".  Riggi and/or Forbes could see action.

Forward Walter Poncé was at Monday’s training session working on skills on his own and is questionable for Wednesday’s match. But aside from that knock, Valour is healthy heading into what could be a season-defining stretch of games.

(source: https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/thats-what-i-was-asking-them-today-how-hungry-are-we-how-much-do-we-really-want-it)

I may regret writing this, but Cavalry look like a very well-organized team that knows what to do in attack but seem to be lacking any sort of edge or dynamicism to the chances they create. The departures of Pepple and Loturi might have something to do with it.

Valour, meanwhile, seem happy to try to get down the field in two passes and mostly fail. Forbes has pace but looks a very limited player that hasn't yet learned how to link up with his teammates.

Edited by jonovision

Offside, I think. But Valour fans won't turn up their noses at a decision in their favour this week.

To the extent that there can be team legends on a team that is less than 4 years old, Dyer is becoming one.

Edit: Maybe not offside. 

Edited by jonovision

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Offside, I think. But Valour fans won't turn up their noses at a decision in their favour this week.

To the extent that there can be team legends on a team that is less than 4 years old, Dyer is becoming one.

Edit: Maybe not offside. 

Close, but NOT offside.. imho.

2 - 0  Full Time

Edited by K Edgar

33 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Yesli and Mekideche both look like players. Perhaps more talent to be mined from the Canadian North African community?

Bit sloppy with the passing there by Mekideche but that Yesli kid is a nimble giant let me tell you.  Get the lad some minutes and enjoy what time he's going to have in the CPL because I don't believe it's going to be long.

3 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

I wouldnt say its quite 'must win' yet for Valour - however its pretty urgent they find a way to wrestle away atleast 1 point for the match.

The table would not be looking too friendly if Valour had lost or even drawn today. As it is, I find myself imagining what things would look like if they hadn't pissed away the points on Saturday.

Good game. Despite the score last time out the team seems to be playing much more disciplined and purposeful. Makes it a lot more fun to watch.

Mekideche didn’t have as strong a game as last time out. Some sloppy passing but you can see a lot of potential. Positioning seems to always be solid and wins pretty much every aerial dual. Almost kicked a guys head off too. 

Forbes looks solid. Lots of speed and you can see the skill but just needs some more time. Seemed to work well with Baquero who also had been solid for a while now. 

Levis becomes more my favourite every game. Is always working hard and winning balls, but more importantly can be such an important cog in our offence. Sucks he missed his shot, but he worked to get there.

Fun to see them get a win!