Should BMO Field be designated as national stadium?

PhillyJawn-guy

Maybe not all will agree, but I think BMO Field is the most logical choice for a Canadian national stadium since it's in Canada's largest city and draws the largest attendances for soccer matches and home to TFC, Canada's flagship club. It has natural grass unlike Vancouver's BC Place or Montreal's Olympic Stadium and closer to a larger population base.

7 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

I don't know. According to Wikipedia the national team also plays at BC Place and sometimes Montreal. For example the next CNL qualifier is in Vancouver.

That’s the beauty about Wikipedia, there’s an edit button. In Canada we need to spread out the games because venues are booked BY OTHER TEAMS. 

I'll apologize for being ignorant. I assumed that there was no official designation for BMO Field and it was just a de facto national stadium that's the most popular in Canada. So if BMO is an official national stadium, is BC Place also one?

Also could BMO host CPL matches in the future or Voyageurs Cup finals (with or without TFC)?

3 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Also could BMO host CPL matches in the future or Voyageurs Cup finals (with or without TFC)?

I hope not. I don’t think you would get many people to a game between Calgary and Vancouver in Toronto. I’d rather it be hosted by one of the teams involved, even if it goes to a single game final format.

5 hours ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

So you don't think BMO could be the Canadian Wembley, eh?

Correct. I went to the MLS Cup final in Toronto in 2010 basically to support the league. It was boring. I didn't know a thing about either team involved, and I didn't care who won. As I sit here thinking about it, I'm not even 100% certain which teams were involved. I want to say Dallas and RSL, but I'm not positive Colorado wasn't involved. Some team scored in overtime to win, I'm not sure if I cheered or not.

Wembley can work because it's about 4 hours by transit from Newcastle (about as far away from London as it gets in England) to Wembley. Meanwhile, to get to BMO field it takes about 5.5 hours from Montreal, and 4.5 hours from Ottawa, and those are the cities that are near by! Also the FA Cup final is an event itself, like the Super Bowl. We aren't there yet for the Voyageurs Cup. I don't think people dream of one day simply attending a Voyageurs Cup final. At best they dream about their team winning the Voyageurs Cup.

All times from google maps using transit as the mode of transportation.

Archived