CPL - WORLD CUP 2026

Robert

10 hours ago, Kent said:

I have to ask. I don’t know anything about African pro leagues, so can anyone tell me what Sudan has over MLS?

Real clubs and pro/rel and domestic players with actually skills and soccer IQ. Plus grassroots soccer culture and players with hunger for greatness that are not from suburban soccer-mom backgrounds.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Kent said:

I have to ask. I don’t know anything about African pro leagues, so can anyone tell me what Sudan has over MLS?

The International Federation of Football History & Statistics is an organization that chronicles the history and records of association football. It was founded on 27 March 1984 in Leipzig. FYI: Hamilton', Ontario's Colin Jose is just one of many long-time soccer historians from all around the world, who has contributed voluminous amounts of Canadian soccer research to this international organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_Football_History_%26_Statistics

I encourage those Voyageurs who think they know something about soccer to check out their website at:

https://iffhs.de/category/allgemein/

As to the arrogant ignorance, obviously devoid of any due diligence, which implies that the Sudani Premier League is not worthy of being considered in the same discussion with certain leagues simply defies respect, please consider the following:

For starters, a quick search on the net will reveal that the Sudani Premier League is a 16-team league that was established in 1965, and which for the past 53 years has produced an incredible 47 national champions, while the country has endured 29 years of civil war during that period.

56 minutes ago, PhillyJawn-guy said:

Real clubs and pro/rel and domestic players with actually skills and soccer IQ. Plus grassroots soccer culture and players with hunger for greatness that are not from suburban soccer-mom backgrounds.

Incredible the effect a 1-0 victory over Saint Kitts and Nevis has on certain egos!

9 hours ago, Robert said:

The International Federation of Football History & Statistics is an organization that chronicles the history and records of association football. It was founded on 27 March 1984 in Leipzig. FYI: Hamilton', Ontario's Colin Jose is just one of many long-time soccer historians from all around the world, who has contributed voluminous amounts of Canadian soccer research to this international organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_Football_History_%26_Statistics

I encourage those Voyageurs who think they know something about soccer to check out their website at:

https://iffhs.de/category/allgemein/

As to the arrogant ignorance, obviously devoid of any due diligence, which implies that the Sudani Premier League is not worthy of being considered in the same discussion with certain leagues simply defies respect, please consider the following:

For starters, a quick search on the net will reveal that the Sudani Premier League is a 16-team league that was established in 1965, and which for the past 53 years has produced an incredible 47 national champions, while the country has endured 29 years of civil war during that period.

Sorry if I came off as arrogant. I admitted my ignorance and lack of due diligence. I am open to the idea that the Sudan League could be at a higher level than MLS, but it seems very unlikely. I know that you can’t typically use national team performance to predict league level of play, but the gap between Sudan and USA and even Canada is vast, at least going by ranking, and I would suspect a poor, war torn country is probably not attracting a lot of foreign players to make up the talent gap.

Your tid bits of info about the league doesn’t tell me anything about the level of play. I was thinking I might look up African Champions League results when I get more time but then someone pointed out how low the Bundesliga is rated so I figure this is probably a deeply flawed list, so I have lost my interest in the Sudan league.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Sorry if I came off as arrogant. I admitted my ignorance and lack of due diligence. I am open to the idea that the Sudan League could be at a higher level than MLS, but it seems very unlikely. I know that you can’t typically use national team performance to predict league level of play, but the gap between Sudan and USA and even Canada is vast, at least going by ranking, and I would suspect a poor, war torn country is probably not attracting a lot of foreign players to make up the talent gap.

Your tid bits of info about the league doesn’t tell me anything about the level of play. I was thinking I might look up African Champions League results when I get more time but then someone pointed out how low the Bundesliga is rated so I figure this is probably a deeply flawed list, so I have lost my interest in the Sudan league.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." (Herbert Spencer)

On 11/17/2018 at 7:47 PM, Robert said:

With roughly 5 months to go before the launch of the CPL's inaugural season, what is the level of interest that our 12 provincial soccer associations are showing about the launch of a professional coast to coast league?  Does the CPL logo or any CPL related news appear anywhere on the home pages of the provincial soccer associations' websites? The results are as follows:

Yukon - 

NWT - 

BC - 

Alberta - 

Saskatchewan - 

Manitoba - ✔️

Ontario - ✔️

Quebec - 

New Brunswick - ✔️✔️(NB gets an extra check for the best promotion of CPL)

Nova Scotia - 

PEI - 

Newfoundland & Labrador - 

Does anyone know why BC Soccer, aka the British Columbia Soccer Association, has the Vancouver Whitecaps FC logo (link) on the news ticker scroll at the bottom of its home-page, but does not have a similar Pacific FC logo (link) on the same news ticker? Does this mean that BC Soccer is supportive of a Vancouver-based MLS club, but not supportive of a Victoria-based CPL club?

https://www.bcsoccer.net/home

24 minutes ago, Robert said:

Does anyone know why BC Soccer, aka the British Columbia Soccer Association, has the Vancouver Whitecaps FC logo (link) on the news ticker scroll at the bottom of its home-page, but does not have a similar Pacific FC logo (link) on the same news ticker? Does this mean that BC Soccer is supportive of a Vancouver-based MLS club, but not supportive of a Victoria-based CPL club?

https://www.bcsoccer.net/home

Because the Whitecaps and BC Soccer have a long-standing association/partnership which you already knew, but are pretending ignorance of, in order to again troll PFC and the CanPL in general.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Because the Whitecaps and BC Soccer have a long-standing association/partnership which you already knew, but are pretending ignorance of, in order to again troll PFC and the CanPL in general.

Oh Ted. Quit making excuses. Whatever happened to: "Welcome to the neighbourhood." This is a glaring oversight and you know it. Now that its been publicly identified, BC Soccer should rectify it asap or else it just reeks of blatant favouritism!

33 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

You know the V's website is not BC Soccer right? If you want to "help" them, contact them and stop harassing us.

You nailed it, Rintaran! I couldn't have said it better myself! This perpetual "them" "them" attitude is what this thread is all about, and precisely the reason why Canadian soccer continues to languish in obscurity.

13 hours ago, Robert said:

You nailed it, Rintaran! I couldn't have said it better myself! This perpetual "them" "them" attitude is what this thread is all about, and precisely the reason why Canadian soccer continues to languish in obscurity.

No. This thread is about you neglecting to take your meds and all of us having to suffer through the consequences.

23 hours ago, Robert said:

Oh Ted. Quit making excuses. Whatever happened to: "Welcome to the neighbourhood." This is a glaring oversight and you know it. Now that its been publicly identified, BC Soccer should rectify it asap or else it just reeks of blatant favouritism!

I think it is a bit of an oversight but that you are, as usual when it comes to any governing body, overreacting based on your irrational hatred.

The fact is the Whitecaps entered into a formal partnership agreement after years of operation based on establishing a relationship and negotiations. I am sure that PFC is and will do those things as well.

And here is the important bit: in 2018 NO ONE goes to the BCSA website looking for info on PFC or would discover PFC exists by random chance while visiting that site. Marketing to the people who will buy tickets is what matters.

23 hours ago, Robert said:

Or perhaps BC Soccer isn't aware that Pacific FC has a website? If that's the case, then please let me be of assistance

WTF?!? Are you lost? Did you think this was some sort of BCSA message board?!!

Your sarcastic, irrational and moronic "assistance" would be more appropriately be directed via email to the BCSA if it was in any way sincere.

1 hour ago, ted said:

I think it is a bit of an oversight but that you are, as usual when it comes to any governing body, overreacting based on your irrational hatred.

The fact is the Whitecaps entered into a formal partnership agreement after years of operation based on establishing a relationship and negotiations. I am sure that PFC is and will do those things as well.

And here is the important bit: in 2018 NO ONE goes to the BCSA website looking for info on PFC or would discover PFC exists by random chance while visiting that site. Marketing to the people who will buy tickets is what matters.

WTF?!? Are you lost? Did you think this was some sort of BCSA message board?!!

Your sarcastic, irrational and moronic "assistance" would be more appropriately be directed via email to the BCSA if it was in any way sincere.

Okay, flattering value judgments aside, we agree that this "bit" of an oversight is on the BCSA. Whoopee!! Progress!

Next. My reaction, be it whatever it is perceived to be, is not based on hatred. I do not hate anyone one or anything. I do have ample amounts of disgust and contempt for individuals who are inept!

Furthermore, this so called "long-term bosom-buddy" relationship between the BCSA and the Vancouver Whitecaps FC that you keep referring to completely baffles me. Like just how long does Pacific FC have to be in existence before the BCSA is willing to start up a relationship with the new kid on the block?

And then, let's look at "the important bit in 2018." No one??? REALLY???? Thank God they didn't leave a "sarcastic, irrational and moronic" little guy like you in charge of Marketing! What Pacific FC needs to attract is not those Victorians who know everything there is to know about soccer. History has proven time again that there aren't too many of them around.

For example, what about the old lady who lives in Saanich and knows sweet fuck all about soccer. Next summer, her adorable little grandson from Ponoka is going to come for a visit, and she just happens to know that the little lad is nuts about soccer? So Granny gets on her computer and googles "BC Soccer," and she sees the Vancouver Whitecaps FC logo, and winds up buying two tickets to a Vancouver Whitecaps game? Lucky little bugger! Are you starting to see the bigger picture, Ted? After the kid is sent back to Ponoka, Granny starts talking to her friends about Junior's visit and all the fun they had at the Whitecaps game. Word gets around and before long the Caps are opening up the upper deck. Meanwhile, we in Victoria end up going to another soccer club's funeral. The End.

p.s. As for sending an email to the BCSA is concerned, why don't you be a good little boy and do that for me?

48 minutes ago, Robert said:

For example, what about the old lady who lives in Saanich and knows sweet fuck all about soccer. Next summer, her adorable little grandson from Ponoka is going to come for a visit, and she just happens to know that the little lad is nuts about soccer? So Granny gets on her computer and googles "BC Soccer," and she sees the Vancouver Whitecaps FC logo, and winds up buying two tickets to a Vancouver Whitecaps game?

As if.

How can she be simultaneously savvy enough to use Google but too stupid to know that Vancouver is not Saanich or Victoria?

Your criticism of the lack of a link is fair and hopefully it will be rectified eventually. Your over-the-top accusations of incompetence and malice are simply bullshit, and the actual effect of the lack of a highlighted link is nowhere near as significant as you pretend it is.

1 hour ago, ted said:

As if.

How can she be simultaneously savvy enough to use Google but too stupid to know that Vancouver is not Saanich or Victoria?

Your criticism of the lack of a link is fair and hopefully it will be rectified eventually. Your over-the-top accusations of incompetence and malice are simply bullshit, and the actual effect of the lack of a highlighted link is nowhere near as significant as you pretend it is.

Is the CPL significant? Is it significant that Canadian soccer has been unable for over a century to get a domestic league off the ground and keep it running? I come from a culture that is way too passionate about soccer to answer NO to either of those questions. If you choose to continue honouring that important Canadian value of being polite, then by all means do so. You obviously seem to know what Canadian soccer needs. But hey, I got better things to do with my life than to watch 16 year old girls who can't play soccer getting creamed 5 zip, or grown men taking an 8-1 trashing!

Next May 1st I will be celebrating the 50th anniversary since I immigrated to Canada, and during that half century this country has done very little when it comes to soccer. Don't you ever wonder why that is? Like really Ted, don't you ever wonder why?

The difference between success and failure often lies in the attention one gives to the smallest details.

If the CPL succeeds its because those managing the operation of the league really know what they're doing and have done an outstanding job.

If the CPL fails its because those managing the operation of the league and don't really know what they're doing have done a less than outstanding job.

Question: Who deserves the lion's share of the credit, if the CPL turns out to be successful?

1) David Clanachan

2) Mt. Vic

3) Alex Bunbury

4) Ted Godwin

5) Other

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Is the CPL significant? Is it significant that Canadian soccer has been unable for over a century to get a domestic league off the ground and keep it running? I come from a culture that is way too passionate about soccer to answer NO to either of those questions. If you choose to continue honouring that important Canadian value of being polite, then by all means do so. You obviously seem to know what Canadian soccer needs. But hey, I got better things to do with my life than to watch 16 year old girls who can't play soccer getting creamed 5 zip, or grown men taking an 8-1 trashing!

Next May 1st I will be celebrating the 50th anniversary since I immigrated to Canada, and during that half century this country has done very little when it comes to soccer. Don't you ever wonder why that is? Like really Ted, don't you ever wonder why?

Next July first I will be celebrating the 45th anniversary since I immigrated to Canada, and during that time I've lived through the highs and lows of what Canadian soccer has offered but what I've never done is bitched about it's shortcomings because I didn't do anything to change or help Canadian soccer so who am I to blame everyone else. You on the other hand chose to be a douchebag for the last 50 years and haven't accomplished anything to make Canada the world soccer power you seem to think it should be. If you're so fucking passionate about Canadian soccer as you claim to be why aren't you president of the CSA yet...or is 50 years not enough time to accomplish that? Try being a part of the solution you moronic mental midget and not part of the problem. You can start by offering constructive criticism instead of stomping your feet like a petulant toddler. Have a nice evening...asshole.

5 hours ago, longlugan said:

Next July first I will be celebrating the 45th anniversary since I immigrated to Canada, and during that time I've lived through the highs and lows of what Canadian soccer has offered but what I've never done is bitched about it's shortcomings because I didn't do anything to change or help Canadian soccer so who am I to blame everyone else. You on the other hand chose to be a douchebag for the last 50 years and haven't accomplished anything to make Canada the world soccer power you seem to think it should be. If you're so fucking passionate about Canadian soccer as you claim to be why aren't you president of the CSA yet...or is 50 years not enough time to accomplish that? Try being a part of the solution you moronic mental midget and not part of the problem. You can start by offering constructive criticism instead of stomping your feet like a petulant toddler. Have a nice evening...asshole.

I just love it when I bring out the best in someone!

18 hours ago, Robert said:

Question: Who deserves the lion's share of the credit, if the CPL turns out to be successful?

1) David Clanachan

2) Mt. Vic

3) Alex Bunbury

4) Ted Godwin

5) Other

I am constantly amazed at how much criticism I take from you for daring to express my opinions while you hijack a thread and make it all about some weird personal obsession you have with me and my influence.

Archived