Victoria Highlanders 2018

ted

So there seems to finally be movement on the part of the Highlanders. Rumors of possible new owners  abound and they recently posted this to Facebook: "We're on the cusp of some exciting news. Looking forward to sharing it all this week - including the release of the PDL schedule. Stay tuned for more information!" 

22 minutes ago, kmouseyc said:

So we have an excuse to get together and share some beverages! Hope they announce moving back to RAP!

That would be amazing. Right now I' just happy they are announcing a schedule. I was starting to wonder if we would be playing this year at all.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:04 AM, ted said:

OK, you gotta watch this video. I think we got some exciting stuff!

Being new to Victoria and considering the purchase of a pair of Highlanders season tickets, a question came to mind during this interview. There was lots of talk about about; "Passion for the community." "Connect with all levels of the community." "Reconnect with the community." and "Something the community can really count on." There is a target of 5 to 6,000 fans per game. Repeated pleas of: "Buy season tickets." "Buy lots of season tickets. So I question: How does the club intend to show its passion for the community? How are the Highlanders going to connect/reconnect with the community? Just what is it that the community can really count on?

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Being new to Victoria and considering the purchase of a pair of Highlanders season tickets, a question came to mind during this interview. There was lots of talk about about; "Passion for the community." "Connect with all levels of the community." "Reconnect with the community." and "Something the community can really count on." There is a target of 5 to 6,000 fans per game. Repeated pleas of: "Buy season tickets." "Buy lots of season tickets. So I question: How does the club intend to show its passion for the community? How are the Highlanders going to connect/reconnect with the community? Just what is it that the community can really count on?

First off go ahead and buy those season tickets and support local football! They are helping provide a pathway for the soccer youth of our community to participate in. Your question is a good one but I think we as the community need to show them they can count on us before we start calling them out. They did step in to keep this opportunity around. What do the Harbour cats do for the community and they get good crowds so lets buy tickets and give the Highlanders the chance to show us. They are working on a shoe string budget and minimal staff.

15 hours ago, Robert said:

How does the club intend to show its passion for the community? How are the Highlanders going to connect/reconnect with the community? Just what is it that the community can really count on?

Excellent questions and ones that will have to be answered by the club as the season plays out.

I think these owners are fans first who happen to all have successful businesses. I think their collective passion has been shown by their willingness to step in and invest money and their expertise to the club.

They did mention something about connecting with youth clubs and I thought they said something about working with them on developing players.

What can we count on from these guys? That's something that only time will tell. As I spoke to them it became clear they believe this city needs a club like the Highlanders. As I said, they were fans first and for me that counts for a lot. At the same time their business experience, and Mark's previous experience, mean that they will set realistic goals as an organization and I have very confidence they will not promise anything they cannot deliver.

I'm looking forward to a Highlanders season with real excitement for the first time in years.

Ask me again in six months and we will see how they did. ;)

On 2/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, Robert said:

Buy the tickets. I lived in Victoria last few years, and loved being at the matches. The team's game-day improved quite a bit last year over the previous, and that's on a very shoe-string budget. Sadly, I'm now at the other end of the country, so I'll have to settle for watching the online stream this year.

I'm pretty optimistic about this new ownership group. Highlanders were doing a good job reaching back into the youth soccer community, and I feel like that's going to expand immensely in 2018. The new ownership group has some really good ties in Victoria, so I would expect to see them leverage those ties to promote the club, and what their academy can do for youth.

It remains to be seen exactly what they'll do. I mean, they only took over a couple weeks back, give'm a chance to get a footing. With new logos, new kits, new coach and new players all starting to add to the new ownership, there's going to be a lot on their plate right off the draw.

But please, buy tickets and support local soccer.

Oh, and make sure you let me if/know when they have kits on sale. They're top of my list.

• 3 weeks later...

From the team today:

A NEW LOGO, A NEW IDENTITY: A NEW ERA BEGINS

March 2, 2018

by Mark deFrias

1519973862-full.png

1519973579-full.pngVICTORIA, BC - Today, a new era begins. Victoria Highlanders FC is just over two months away from kicking off what will be the club’s tenth year of operation. The team will celebrate the milestone with a new logo and new visual identity.

The logo, which will debut for the upcoming Premier Development League (PDL) season, represents the very essence of Highlanders. The distinctive shield shape is inspired by the crest of Victoria. The maple leaf, the universal symbol Canada, and a VH for Victoria Highlanders.

FULL STORY >>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived