A Modest Idea

matty

This is just an idea but I figured I'd pitch it. If you don't like it that's cool and if you think it could work with alteration please give suggestions.

I've seen a few people here asking "what are you going to do to help the league?" Now there's not much we can do beyond watching games (in person and on TV), joining supporters group and buying some merch, but I thought of something that might be something worth doing that we all (or as many of us as can) can do to support the CPL and the Canadian players: a Voyageur Prize.

The idea is simple, using a Kickstarter-sort of campaign (and more traditional fundraising methods) we raise as much money as possible during the CPL season and at the end of the season the money raised (minus expenses used to make an award plaque) is given to the Canadian player (I personally think it should go to a U23 player) with the most outstanding season (deemed by some kind of independent fan vote). The money awarded (even if just say $500) would be a big boost to a player making between $20-40k, which is why I think it makes sense to honour an under 23 player as they would be likely paid a lower amount. I also think awarding a player the prize only once is fair.

With how the CPL has reached out to fans, I fully believe something like this would be supported by the league even if the prize was controlled by the fans independently of the league and CSA.

What do you guys think?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd contribute to a Voyageurs award for the best Canadian in the league, but I hope it's not as a required crutch for our top talent to continue as professionals. Is 20k for the best U-23 player in the league a realistic figure?

7 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

I'd contribute to a Voyageurs award for the best Canadian in the league, but I hope it's not as a required crutch for our top talent to continue as professionals. Is 20k for the best U-23 player in the league a realistic figure?

I fully agree and hope as time goes by something like this becomes less about being a cash bonus and more a traditional honour for a player.

Regarding $20k, I think it's possible (especially in the beginning) for players in their first or second year to be paid that low but I have a feeling minimum salaries are gonna be in the 25-30k range to start if the pay rumours are true.

25 minutes ago, matty said:

I fully agree and hope as time goes by something like this becomes less about being a cash bonus and more a traditional honour for a player.

Regarding $20k, I think it's possible (especially in the beginning) for players in their first or second year to be paid that low but I have a feeling minimum salaries are gonna be in the 25-30k range to start if the pay rumours are true.

If salaries aren't better I think it would greatly detract from the image of the league. Do we know what percentage of operating budgets are generally allocated to player salaries?

Sorry, I've completely derailed this thread already. I'll double my contribution.

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

If salaries aren't better I think it would greatly detract from the image of the league. Do we know what percentage of operating budgets are generally allocated to player salaries?

Salary spending varies greatly and isn't easily accessible info. In the Championship the number can be as high as 80%. It might be as low as 30% for a team like FC Dallas. 

I personally don't have much hope that players 12-28 on a CPL roster will make a livable wage. MLS got it's minimum salary above the US poverty line in like 2007. Even at the highest salary cap that has been reported for the new league ($1.5 million) with a standard roster of 28 players, that's an average league salary of $53,571. If we apply the MLS model of variation from mean salary (not counting DPs) to that average salary, it would put the lower-end salaries of the CPL at around $30,000 and the minimum salary just north of $20,000. That's basically best case scenario, as it is more likely the salary cap is lower than $1.5 million than above it. NASL and independent USL team salaries are estimated at somewhere in the $600k to $1 million range. It would be pretty idiotic for the CPL to go much higher than that considering the quality of the average Canadian CPL player is going to have to be around that level.

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Great idea matty. I like all your suggestions. Maybe call it "Young Canadian of the Year" or something like that.

Nothing wrong with it being about the money too. My suggestion would be to set targets for suggested contribution ($20- $50?) and final total.

Yea was thinking something like that or something with some kind of history. For donations i don't even think you need to be as high as 20 if the supporters groups were involved in fundraising (if a group like halifax's was involved even $5 would create a sizeable pot). 

1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

I'm in, good idea

Might be a good idea to cap the amount below total contributions the first year. If 1000 dollars are raised, maybe make it $500 and a plaque, because you never know if the enthusiasm for the project will wane over time. 

That's a great idea for the first several seasons. It offers safety in case fundraising falls short one year and keeps things fair.

I might properish pitch to contact the powers that be here and in the SGs with to see if this thing can get off the ground for year one (whether it's next year or the year after). If the SGs signed on I think it would be cool to have an actual ceremony where the SG of the player awards it to them at a dinner/party (which would be some solid fan-club interaction).

Just to be clear, everyone cool with the U23 idea?

22 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Another question is who gets to vote.  Anyone?  Anyone who gives money?  Should someone who donates $20 get more of a say than someone who donates $1?

I was thinking this too and feel anyone who donates $5 gets a vote (one vote no matter what amount to prevent ballot box stuffing). $5 seems like a fair amount to secure seriousness of online votes and also seems like an amount the SG would feel comfortable asking members for. If someone donates more (like $20-30) maybe they get a seat at the table of the winner or something as a threat.

Of course both would need approval from the powers that be.

31 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Part of me wonders about a trial run with a PDL/L1O/PLSQ player, but it would be really tough to see enough of them to make a judgement.

Again thought of this but fear it'll be too difficult to do a unified prize. It would be awesome still

5 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

You wouldn't be allowed to give money to a player that wants to remain NCAA eligible.  

Is that applicable to something like this, where the prize isn't awarded by a club or official competition? I agree it isn't "doable" regardless

3 minutes ago, matty said:

Is that applicable to something like this, where the prize isn't awarded by a club or official competition? I agree it isn't "doable" regardless

I currently work in a NCAA athletic department. A kid accepting any sum of prize money for playing a sport loses his eligibility with the exception of tennis where players can accept up to $10,000 before losing eligibility. Players of all other sports are only allowed to accept food, housing, or sports equipment as a result of a competing in an athletic competition. 

Just now, harrycoyster said:

I currently work in a NCAA athletic department. A kid accepting any sum of prize money for playing a sport loses his eligibility with the exception of tennis where players can accept up to $10,000 before losing eligibility. Players of all other sports are only allowed to accept food, housing, or sports equipment as a result of a competing in an athletic competition. 

Cool thanks for the answer :)

9 minutes ago, matty said:

Cool thanks for the answer :)

No problem, you'd be shocked how many players lose the ability to play D1 sports because the NCAAEC googles them and finds they got a $100 Visa gift card for winning some bullshit award. It's pretty heartbreaking, and a huge issue when bringing in players from outside the US where youth event organizers don't know any better.

10 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

I feel like in this case, can we give it to a charity on behalf of said player?

If we are talking about giving this to CPL players, I'd hope they are all professional and this is a non-issue. The NCAA issue is specific to PDL/L1O/PLSQ players.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Hell yeah, time to fill our favourite sports prodigies with $500 worth of McDonalds!

Archived