The CPL SHOULD and MUST be better than MLS

12 hours ago, longlugan said:

You're a fucking retard...nuff said.

Well,  a bit ad hominem, but hard to disagree. ;)

And perhaps not too harsh when apparently his personal opinion, his keen eye and judgement, is all that is required to anoint India and Australia as hosting higher-quality leagues than MLS.

But, there is no need to continue arguing with him. If that is how he sees the world then CanPL should make him very happy and will indeed be better than MLS. And isn't that what we all want. ;)

okay.  I just want to point something out quickly.

As much as it does look like CPL will have a very difficult time eclipsing MLS.... 

I don't necessarily think it's impossible, at least on a per capita basis. 

Really, CPL just has far less to compete with than MLS does for people's attention.  Think about it.  The US has NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.  We basically only have NHL(which wouldn't even be in the same season) and CFL.  As much as I'm supportive of CFL, they have been atrophying attention to Canadian NFL fans for years.

If it weren't for the rapid recent growth of MLS I would almost say it was a sure thing, it's just that MLS has grown a ton in the last year or so.

If I had to guess, I would say the gulf between MLS and CPL might be smaller than people think, although my bet is that there will still be a drop off.

But really who knows what will happen.

I think CPL should focus to reach CFL numbers on all level. Forget about the US and the world.

CFL numbers=major league status, which is very realistic. I think that CFL and CPL will serve 2 very different markets. CFL the older crowd and CPL the 18-34/45 fans. CFL must know that hence their enthusiasm in CPL. They know they aren't growing CPL at their own expense. There's room for both leagues to be successful at the same time. I just think in the long run, it's just easier for CPL/soccer to grow than CFL due to demographics and immigration. 

As for quality, MLS rapid expansion will bite them on quality due to dilution of talent. Not saying MLS quality will decrease but it will stagnate. With the Chinese easily capable of overbidding the MLS, getting another Giovinco, Kaka, and David Villa here will be very hard for them.

No we won't be equal to MLS but it won't be by that much. People will be surprised actually.

Archived