Midfielders switching to the backline

One American

Eventually, given the relative decency of the midfielders and the relative suckitude of the defenders, I think moving a midfielder to the backline would have to be considered a possibility. If so, who would be the best player to move? Off the top, I would think about moving Teibert to left back.  Any thoughts on this? Any other ideas? 

Hopefully we can stop the sucktitude of the opposite happening first. 

I don't really think we have depth enough to sacrifice a midfielder in defence, not sure any would do a better job than what we already have either. Teibert had played there before but, I can't believe I will write it, he wouldn't be better than DeJong. Imo.

I would like to see Tissot and Dixon given a run of games at LB/RB. Aird is an option too at RB if he can develop his defensive positioning and awareness, although that ship may have sailed. 

Overall I would like to see the youth given opportunities rather than De Jong and Ledgerwood. 

12 hours ago, FC_Hali said:

I would like to see Tissot and Dixon given a run of games at LB/RB. Aird is an option too at RB if he can develop his defensive positioning and awareness, although that ship may have sailed. 

Overall I would like to see the youth given opportunities rather than De Jong and Ledgerwood. 

Of the Impact games I watched him play in at LB I wasn't particularly impressed with his overall defensive game.  He's better suited as a left flank mid.  In which position is he playing regularly in NASL?

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Of the Impact games I watched him play in at LB I wasn't particularly impressed with his overall defensive game.  He's better suited as a left flank mid.  In which position is he playing regularly in NASL?

He's a wingback for Ottawa, which I feel utilizes him the best. I also feel that Aird could be best suited as a wingback.

I like the idea of moving midfielders to wingback roles much more than I like the idea of moving centerbacks to out wide roles.  Just throwing that out there, but it's always a case by case basis.  I felt like Edgar did fine at RB for example, because he has the ball handling ability and crossing ability to warrant the move.

Archived