Should Canada have 2 Champions League births?

Canada does not deserve another spot.  With the exception of the USL-era Impact making a run all those years ago, we've been sending MLS clubs who play in an American league.  Even the NASL clubs are in an American league.  We have no domestic league, and I frankly think it's a racket that we manage to even have one spot - though I don enjoy cheering for them.  I've said on numerous occasions, clubs should qualify for the Champions League based on their domestic league.  Our clubs play in American leagues, and so should qualify accordingly (like Swansea, or Monaco, for example).

That said, I wouldn't turn it down, but we don't deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in agreement that at this time it would be hard for CONCACAF or Canada to justify giving us a second berth. But if you want to make things a bit more interesting, do what Mexico goes....talk to CONMEBOL and see if we can send a team or two in to one of their competitions, either the Copa Libertadores or the Copa Sudamericana. 

• 1 month later...

Somebody at bigsoccer keeps an updated UEFA-style coefficient, Canada is usually good for 3rd or 4th in there.  By performance alone we deserve at least 2 spots. And it doesn't hurt having packed stadia either. Hell just give us 3 and we'll show up every time

EDIT: politically we're more FC Vaduz (Liechtenstein) playing in the Swiss leagues than Monaco or Welsh clubs (principalities, not independent countries) having to qualify through the English leagues. Vaduz have to win the Liechtenstein cup to get to the Europa League if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 months later...

Can't add much to the great points in here. 

Basically until we have more teams it's not justified. However the winner of the MLS playoffs should absolutely be in CCL regardless of being US or Canadian. Not that we will likely ever see it but imagine three out of the last remaining teams in the playoffs being canadian and they have to give it to the 4th best team. Doesn't make the MLS look good. 

Archived