CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship in San Pedro Sula Dec3rd-13th

Canada U-20 vs Jamaica U-20 :

-So Sura Yekka draws in for Victoria Pickett and Sarah Feola replaces  Anyssa Ibrahim up front.

-Chanel Hudson-Marks , who plays up front for Jamaica, is a Canadian ( 1 of 2 on Jamaica ) who played for Woodbridge Strikers in L1O during  the summer and currently for the University of Memphis (Tigers)  in NCAA div 1.

On 11/28/2015 at 9:50 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Mexico's U-20 seems to be very prepared and organised for this tournament; I wouldn't be overly surprised if we lost to them in the semi-final.

Well, I'm glad we won but that was too close for comfort! The type of close game I was expecting actually.

On 11/28/2015 at 8:03 PM, 67soccer said:

someone please explain Herdman to me...Someone with some common sense please explain what this clown of a coach is doing 

Well, the Herdman gamble paid off. Leave just enough quality with the U-20s to qualify (by the most narrow margin ever vs Mexico) and bring the rest to Brazil. That was a hell of a risk but it seems to have worked!. On to PNG!

After watching the last 2 Canada matches, my take is that both goalkeepers are weak in the air, have bad ball distribution and weak in decision making. Proulx is only 16, so some of this is expected.

Back line looked solid but in the US match, like a lot of Canadian teams, lots of passes amongst themselves and goalkeeper with little to no purpose (though midfielders can also be blamed for not showing for the ball adequately). Richards looks good for at least a look see on the senior team in friendlies. Yekka seems to have made a comeback and also grown quite a bit.

Strange to say for a Canadian team but midfield is where the talent is. Some had good football iq and good ball skills. Some will need to develop beyond their one or two strengths into more multi-dimensional players if they want to be senior team regulars. Lamontagne is the new face for me that has an interesting skillset that could be the foundation for a senior team career.

Pryce up front is like many strikers we have seen recently - strong physical skills but not clinical enough to be a pure goal scorer at the senior team level yet. 

So, no new Sinclair or McLeod/LeBlanc found for now but it looks like back line depth has improved and we'll have to wait and see on how the midfielders blossom or not. 

Archived