CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship in San Pedro Sula Dec3rd-13th

en_logo_under_20s_women.png

If there is a city that Canadian soccer fans hate the most, it is likely San Pedro Sula. Although our men have failed to get wins there, let's hope our young women do well.

This tournment starts in about a month from now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_Women's_U-20_Championship

I assume they will call large parts of our last U-17 squad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_U-17_Women's_World_Cup_squads

One great thing is that the USA did not play at the last U-17 World Cup in Costa Rica and so our squad should perhaps have more experience in Central America

What is the cutoff year for age?

EDIT: On Wednesday we will know the groups. The Draw will take place in San Pedro Sula.

http://www.ieyenews.com/wordpress/official-draw-confirmed-for-the-concacaf-under-20-womens-championship-honduras-2015/

It will be 1996 and younger. 

Now that I think about it you're right! It's 96'.  We don't seem to have much talent in the 96' cohort. The only 96' I would bet on as a starter would be Victoria Pickett; she was a late game sub in each of our 3 group stage games at our U-20 world cup (didn't play in the QF vs Germany). 2 of those three times she came on for Yekka.

She could play beside Yekka (maybe slightly out of position) and we would have two experienced defenders at this level.

Thoughts? I think we got the "easy" group. It will not be acceptable to have anything other than 9 points.

Although we are "A2" we seem to play T&T first and Honduras last.

http://www.concacaf.com/category/under-20s-women/schedule-results

That last group stage game, against Honduras, it would be nice if we could win by at least 8 goals ;)

[ 1 ]  The CANWNT  will play in the 2015 International Tournament of Natal ( Brazil ) from December   9 – 20, 2015. This schedule overlaps with the 2015 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship , December 3 – 13 , 2015, which raises the question  : Does Jessie Fleming play with the senior team in Brazil or with the U-20s in Honduras ?

[ 2 ]  The 2015 Women’s College Cup Championship ( the final four)  is scheduled for December 4/ December  6,   2015 which also  overlaps the 2015 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship .  Some of  Canada’s U-20 pool of players are in schools that  are part of the 64 team field that will compete for NCAA Division 1  Women Soccer  Championship . It’s unclear if the following schools -- who are in the tournament--  will accommodate Daniel Worthington should he select any of these players  for the U-20 CONCACAF  tournament in Honduras:

-Western Virginia:          Bianca St.Georges, Easther Mayi  Kith, Carla Portillo

-Princeton:                     Vanessa Gregoire

-LSU:                              Jordane Carvery

-Northwestern:                Simmrin Dhaliwal

-Washington State:         Chelsea Harkins

[ 1 ]  The CANWNT  will play in the 2015 International Tournament of Natal ( Brazil ) from December   9 – 20, 2015. This schedule overlaps with the 2015 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship , December 3 – 13 , 2015, which raises the question  : Does Jessie Fleming play with the senior team in Brazil or with the U-20s in Honduras ?

[ 2 ]  The 2015 Women’s College Cup Championship ( the final four)  is scheduled for December 4/ December  6,   2015 which also  overlaps the 2015 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship .  Some of  Canada’s U-20 pool of players are in schools that  are part of the 64 team field that will compete for NCAA Division 1  Women Soccer  Championship . It’s unclear if the following schools -- who are in the tournament--  will accommodate Daniel Worthington should he select any of these players  for the U-20 CONCACAF  tournament in Honduras:

-Western Virginia:          Bianca St.Georges, Easther Mayi  Kith, Carla Portillo

-Princeton:                     Vanessa Gregoire

-LSU:                              Jordane Carvery

-Northwestern:                Simmrin Dhaliwal

-Washington State:         Chelsea Harkins

1) They'll put the best players they can get

2) I think that those teams will say no if they are in it, especially  West Virginia because they'd be losing half of their starting backline for the final four. 

• 2 weeks later...

Syracuse briefly had a story about a call up for Alexandra Lamontagne ( forward --  Durham United, League One Ontario) but it's been removed from their site.

This link works now:

http://www.cuse.com/news/2015/11/24/WSOC_1124151419.aspx

Seems like the US is holding their U-15 girls camp in Sunrise Florida at the same time:

http://www.sportsdestinations.com/destinations/florida/news/soccer-us-gnt-holds-final-camp-florida-10332

I guess they have many pitches? Cut a cost saving deal with US Soccer?

Canadian U-20 roster for the CONCACAF  tournament:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-ready-for-road-to-papua-new-guinea-2016-p158898

[ 1 ]  Victoria Pickett listed as a full back. I think she's a better midfielder -- all her success at Wisconsin this year was as a midfielder.

[ 2 ] Bianca St Georges is still playing in the NCAA tournament.

[ 3 ] No Jessie Fleming. She's not going to Honduras with the U-20s, nor is she part of the senior roster going to Brazil. Puzzling. In addition, Gabrielle Carle and Marie Levasseur are going to Brazil with the senior team but not to Honduras with the U20s.

someone please explain Herdman to me , there are players on this roster than have made a second go around at U20 WC though had yet to sniff a tryout on the Senior team , though then he has players at the Senior camp barley out of diapers trying out  and not partaking in the U20s .

Someone with some common sense please explain what this clown of a coach is doing 

Someone with some common sense please explain what this clown of a coach is doing 

I have no idea and I don't agree with this strategy; we should still win our group against these minnows.

Mexico's U-20 seems to be very prepared and organised for this tournament; I wouldn't be overly surprised if we lost to them in the semi-final.

WHERE IS FLEMING?

They could at least have said "denied to join the camp for school/family/some other reason". Our midfield will not be nearly as strong.

Practice match between Canadian U-20s and Haiti U-20s:

T&T and Jamaica are about as good as Haiti. Their qualifiers were in Haiti so even though Haiti won, they had home advantage. Honduras should still be an easy win despite playing at home.

I still predict first in the group but since it's SPS I think we'll slip up and get only 7 points. If we can only beat Haiti 2-1 we could have serious problems vs Mexico.

Wow!  The CONCACAF website gives the shot total as 25-0 in favour of Canada.  That doesn't sound good for T&T.

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnKeg0l75_A

(many of those on-target shots were pretty good actually)

Also: Jamaica 2 Honduras 2. Thoughts? I'm actually surprised that Honduras got a draw. i expected their team to be very weak.

Maybe I shouldn't have been so pessimistic...

If anyone is interested in getting a stream, Carolyn Duthie has found a way. Check out her Twitter stream from Dec 3 toward the end of the CanW20 game.

Thanks for the tip Rob. Seems like she faked a USA IP and paid $10USD. Not worth it IMO.

foxsoccer2go.com/upcoming

Lord Bob's and Carolyn's banter is pretty good; I should be on twitter more. Only Lord Bob would come up with the #TwoSarahsOneCup hashtag. :unsure:

Archived