CELTIC In Talks With NASL to Start Expansion Club

Team America

CELTIC could be coming to America — as they consider starting a soccer franchise in the States

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/celtic/6708101/Team-America.html

Parkhead chief Peter Lawwell remains keen to take the club’s brand to a wider audience and they recently signed a record-breaking kit deal with Boston-based New Balance.

The Hoops already have a huge fanbase in the States, but an American franchise would raise their profile enormously.

Exciting news for the NASL, hope these talks lead to Celtic getting an NASL expansion club.

Team America

CELTIC could be coming to America — as they consider starting a soccer franchise in the States

I'll hazard a guess at St Louis given the guy that runs the PDL team, Tony Glavin, is a brother of a well-known former Celtic player and already has a partnership going with Celtic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Lions

I'll hazard a guess at St Louis given the guy that runs the PDL team, Tony Glavin, is a brother of a well-known former Celtic player and already has a partnership going with Celtic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_Lions

The connection is there, but I doubt it. Stl just started a USL team this year, which has been fairly successful after a failed (underfunded) NASL team a few years ago.

Two main reasons it won't be St Louis: (1) The market cannot, at this stage, support two teams; and (2) the part-owners of the USL team own the only viable soccer stadium in the city. I cannot see them renting it out to another team for a host of reasons.

Perhaps not surprisng that they wouldn't be able to set up Boston Celtic for legal reasons. The global brand thing is a bit of a joke nowadays. No club outside the usual title challengers from the Premiership, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga that regularly reach the last 16 of the Champions League genuinely has that type of profile. Even in Scotland, a lot of the younger generation in and around Glasgow are now paying more attention to what happens in the top four European domestic leagues rather than the SPFL, so it will be interesting to see to what extent the Old Firm rivalry reignites next season. Celtic have been downsizing financially in recent years to the point that even the Europa League group stages are now a challenge for them, so I would question whether this story is being circulated to deflect attention away from that given their support were extremely absusive to their manager and team after the recent Molde game. Time will tell obviously.

• 6 months later...

Celtic USA: A New Colony Club Heading to NASL?

http://midfieldpress.com/2016/05/10/celtic-usa-a-new-colony-club-heading-to-nasl/

The latest colony club rumor suggests Scottish club Celtic FC is looking to establish a franchise in the North American Soccer League.  The Celtic to NASL rumors emerged last fall, when the British tabloid The Sun reported that the Scottish club kicked off talks with the league.  While nothing but message board rumblings followed in the near term, Celtic Underground recently reported that team executive Peter Lawwell will be traveling back to the USA this summer to re-engage NASL.

I agree that it has practically no upsides for Celtic to have an US franchise (just like Rayo). But if it does happen, I hope it is in Boston. Just to punish MLS/the Krafts for not taking fans serious for years. A team in the city could really hurt them (like that Miami MLS team, by the time it comes to fruition (if ever), Miami FC would be years ahead of them). 

14 hours ago, shamrock said:

I agree that it has practically no upsides for Celtic to have an US franchise (just like Rayo). But if it does happen, I hope it is in Boston. Just to punish MLS/the Krafts for not taking fans serious for years. A team in the city could really hurt them (like that Miami MLS team, by the time it comes to fruition (if ever), Miami FC would be years ahead of them). 

Not sure how much it would hurt the Krafts (after all a NASL club won't really affect their MLS franchise value), but it would be a victory for soccer fans in the city.  I think the NASL is going to compete in MLS markets they need to go after the teams that are based in the suburbs like New England, Chicago, and Dallas.  Putting a team in the city has the potential to capture a different fanbase that would prefer to not go that far to watch their local club.

Jason

Archived