MLS New Core Player Designation

Grizzly

It sounds like it's for a "mid tier" kind of DP but the details sure are light at this point.  I wonder if we could let Gilberto come back as a "Core Player".  He would fit nicely on the right wing for us.  I think that's the weakest place you'd spend a DP spot on (I.e. not a CB)

I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. 

Lots of hate on that article that was linked.  

Okay, yes, it does convolute things further and further.  They really need to scrap it all and re-simplify everything.  That said, MLS is to that point where players are going to start to make more money, and I think it will more and more start to get taken seriously in terms of talent.  MLS is getting closer and closer to Liga MX, and say what you want to say, but Liga MX is no joke in terms of having decent teams.

The one complaint that people make is that the rich teams will further separate from the less rich teams.  How valid is this?  Take most European leagues where the exact same teams are in the top year after year after year after year, bolstering the image that the leagues themselves are powerful, when sometimes it's only one or two good teams in a pretty garbage league for talent overall.  

But THOSE leagues have a lot of other ways to make income.  

MLS is always trying to walk a bunch of fine lines.  

1) We are still a developing league vs We are a Worldwide League that the best players should come to

2) We can't pay players a lot of money vs attendances of 30,000+ for some teams

3) World football style of league vs North American style of league in terms of payment structure, transfers, rules, draft rights

At some point in the next ten years I fully expect the wheels to fall off the bus leading to a complete restructure. Unfortunately it could lead to a play stoppage, but hopefully it won't.

But as for raising salary caps?  Well have a look at this.  Validity to be determined.

http://www.bookiebashers.net/#!MLS-looks-to-remove-salary-caps-to-attract-bigger-names-Full-Story/c1syb/55966a180cf2efdf74ead435

I like this line at the end:  "The labyrinth of rules, with designated players, allocation money, salary caps, international player caps, Generation adidas players and superdrafts, though, look as transparent as does a glass of milk to a glaucoma sufferer."

One of the best ideas I've seen (I forget the link, sorry) goes something like this:

1) Keep the number of internationals/domestics the same

2) All homegrown are off-cap

3) Keep a liveable minimum wage (I'd say increase it slightly)

4) Total budget max for all teams is $15 million a year

5) Scrap the DP rules.

So the best scouting and development wins. If you have 3 players making 4 million a year and the rest of the team combined making 3 million then that is your choice. You will be going up against teams with 10 players at a million each and the rest of the team combined making 5 million.

The one change I'd make is to the development cycle. Homegrown are 50% off-cap at 2 years dev, 75% off at 3 and 100% at 4+ years in your development program. Encourage long term development. I'd love to see our teams with DP level players being paid DP level wages totally off-cap.

This current system just comes down to "What do the large markets want?".

This new rule strikes me as a way for the small market clubs to afford a DP. Not sure that's the best way to go, I would just bump the camp by $1.8M instead tbh.

Just bumping the camp serves to spread wealth more evenly among players on your roster.  MLS would be attempting to pigeonhole them to using that money to try and attract bigger talent to the US market.  

In that sense, the new rule strikes me as a way to force the small market clubs to go and find DP talent that is affordable to them.

That's why it is good that they did raise the salary cap earlier this year.  It's pretty embarrassing to have some players that need to work second jobs just to make ends meet, while in the starting lineup, sometimes outscoring guys driving Lamborghinis.   Maybe that's an extreme example, but hey, I'm trying to draw a picture lol..

Just bumping the camp serves to spread wealth more evenly among players on your roster.  MLS would be attempting to pigeonhole them to using that money to try and attract bigger talent to the US market.  

In that sense, the new rule strikes me as a way to force the small market clubs to go and find DP talent that is affordable to them.

That's why it is good that they did raise the salary cap earlier this year.  It's pretty embarrassing to have some players that need to work second jobs just to make ends meet, while in the starting lineup, sometimes outscoring guys driving Lamborghinis.   Maybe that's an extreme example, but hey, I'm trying to draw a picture lol..

That's exactly what i just said. Creating this designation is MLS' way of saying "here is a free DP, if you don't you use you lose it". I would prefer to see the cap lifted so that the weaker teams could afford more max salary players and the bigger teams could increase the depth in the middle of the lineup.

Archived