MLS Expansion Draft

El Hombre

Anyone looked at the rules for this yet?  Here are the highlights:

• MLS clubs may protect 11 players between their Senior Roster and their Supplemental Roster. If the player’s contract expires at the end of 2014, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.

• If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the CBA.

• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.

• Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season or Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.

• Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster at the end of the 2014 MLS season are automatically protected (clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).

• If NYCFC or Orlando City SC selects a Supplemental Roster Player, it must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must remain on the Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.

• Clubs are restricted in the number of International Player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of International Players equal to their total number of International Players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer International Players it may make available not more than one.

• For purposes of this expansion process, any non-domestic U.S. players will count as an International.

It will be interesting to see what players will be available.

I got dizzy trying to figure out what that 2nd last point bullet point actually means

A club has to protect at least 3 internationals. If they have less than 3 internationals on their roster then they can't expose more than 1. Basically they don't want clubs leaving mostly internationals exposed as it will make it hard on the newcomers to build their rosters.

For VWC my list would like like this:

Protected HG/GA players

Sam Adekugbe             Homegrown

Marco Bustos               Homegrown

Marco Carducci            Homegrown

Caleb Clarke                 Homegrown

Kianz Froese                 Homegrown

Ethen Sampson            Homegrown

Russell Teibert              Homegrown

Christian Dean              Generation Adidas

Kekuta Manneh            Generation Adidas

Players eligible for Draft (bolded = players I would protect)

Steven Beitashour        Domestic

Jordan Harvey               Domestic

Erik Hurtado                  Domestic

Gershon Koffie              Domestic

Darren Mattocks           Domestic

Mauro Rosales              Domestic

Paolo Tornaghi               Domestic

Mehdi Ballouchy             Domestic

David Ousted                International

Kendall Waston            International

Johnny Leverón            International

Sebastián Fernández     International

Nicolás Mezquida          International

Andy O'Brien                  International

Matías Laba                  Young Designated Player

Pedro Morales              Designated Player

Only tough decision was not protecting O’Brian and Seba. O’Brian is very valuable to the team, but his current salary, the fact that he doesn’t have a contract next year and his age might prevent him from being taken. Also if he’s completely opposed to signing for any other team I could see the Caps leaving him exposed and then trading back for him – a la Brian Ching. Seba on the other hand has got upside, a moderate salary for an attacking player and it’s highly likely he would get picked. At the same time however, he’s inconsistent and replaceable. Plus I’m not sure what the loan status is for either him or Mezquida for next year, which could also be a factor. If it’s not even clear if he’d be in MLS next year, this might prevent teams from taking him.

The only reason I would protect Hurtado and Mattocks would be because they both have reasonable trade value and I would much rather get something for them, than give them up for nothing. I think either player would be virtually guaranteed to get picked up if left unprotected.

Interesting to note the Caps have 9 players protected by their HG/GA status. I suspect this is more than other teams.

From the Caps site. These players are automatically protected. 

- Sam Adekugbe – Homegrown
- Marco Carducci – Homegrown
- Caleb Clarke – Homegrown
- Christian Dean – Generation adidas
- Kianz Froese – Homegrown
- Ethen Sampson – Homegrown
- Russell Teibert – Homegrown

Same article had Manneh and Salgado coming off GenA. They'll protect Manneh for sure or he'd be taken. Salgado? Probably leave unprotected.

Archived