Beckham to recruit Gerrard to MLS

Sam Brown

Steven Gerrard, having played across midfield or behind a single striker (and even the odd match at full-back) throughout his career for club and country, has scored about a goal every four games. He's captain of his boyhood club, as well as his country. Every manager he has ever played for has praised his dedication and willingness to sacrifice for the team.

I think some people may be blinded by the odd spectacular goal scored by Ibrahimovic. If you asked 19 MLS managers which of the two they'd prefer to bring in as a DP on their team, I'd be shocked if less than 15 didn't pick Gerrard.

This @macksam (fool). Intangible qualities like: like-ability and his leadership. Also, I lol every time I see you're from Brampton.

p.s. if you are still stumped maybe you should looking up what intangible means in a dictionary, that might give you a clue.

Yeah, I'm stumped by your argument of Gerrard having "superior intangible qualities," whatever that's suppose to mean. I lol everytime I see that post.

By intangibles, he means not being able to have any sort of positional sense, not being able to avoid hitting twenty-odd forty yard passes into row z per game, and having a three-head (it's too small to be called a forehead).

By intangibles, he means not being able to have any sort of positional sense, not being able to avoid hitting twenty-odd forty yard passes into row z per game, and having a three-head (it's too small to be called a forehead).

Your name starts with mac, just like the other guy. Your stupidity must be related.

Stats taken from Wikipedia:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (career)

Club:

514 App 255 G

Steven Gerrard (career)

Club:

615 App 155 G

The debate isn't whether Ibra or Gerrard has had the better career, it's who would make the better DP. A better indicator would be to look at the trajectory of their career by looking at their numbers in their prime and over the last few years to figure out how that translates over the next few seasons in MLS.

Gerrard scored 53 goals in the EPL between 05/06-09/10 for an average of 10.6 goals per season. Since then he has had issues staying healthy and scored 4 and 5 goals the past 2 seasons. He has 5 goals in 24 games this season, hence the handful of goals comment. My greater issue with Gerrard however is that most good American CM's have a similar work ethic and endurance as Gerrard, so really you're bringing him for his setup skills. I would argue you could look for a SA #10 similar in skill set to a Javier Morales back in 2008 who would provide better value then a multi-million dollar DP.

Ibra moved to Italy in 04/05 and scored between 15 and 17 goals in 3 of his first 4 seasons. He then took a jump up to 25 goals in 08/09 which led to his move to Barca. He scored only 16 goals in Spain, and only 14 when he returned to Italy the next year before returning to form last season with 28 goals in 32 games. This season he's on 19 goals in 19 games - hence a goal-a-game. You could say looking at these numbers that Ibra is in the prime of his career and would likely be a 30+ goal scorer on an MLS playoff team.

This @macksam (fool). Intangible qualities like: like-ability and his leadership. Also, I lol every time I see you're from Brampton.

p.s. if you are still stumped maybe you should looking up what intangible means in a dictionary, that might give you a clue.

Your name starts with mac, just like the other guy. Your stupidity must be related.

Sam: Cut out the personal shit. It has no place on this board. You only get one warning with this junk.

Thanks.

Ibra is argubly the third best player in the world behind Messi and Ronaldo. Definately top 6.

He sure is, but that makes him very much less likely to leave Europe for MLS.

And yeah, Ibra would be a more successful DP, on the pitch, than Gerrad, but there is NO chance Ibra is leaving PSG anytime soon for the MLS. On the other hand, Gerrad could very well end up in the MLS in the summer.

So would you rather have Gerrad in the Summer or Ibra after a few more years till he starts to decline at the highest level?

The main point is the only way Ibra comes here is if he starts to decline to less than a goal a game and probably till he's only potting a 'handful' of goals a year, so in a sense it would be the same situation as every other high priced DP that comes to the MLS.

DP is not for your most impactful player on the pitch, sadly; it is much more for the impact in the merchandising and marketing ventures.

Which I'd have to give to Gerrad over Ibra, for name and fan recognition.

Todays insults have been brought to you by the the Letters M and B

and by the numbers 7 and 25...

By the way, Becks signs for PSG.... money grabing tart!;)

(Almost wrote sings for PSG, that would be an entertaining notion!)

Well this sorta makes you look bad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2271133/David-Beckham-play-free-Paris-St-Germain.html

Beckham to play for FREE. His entire contract will go to charity. Which is 170,000 Pounds a week for 5 months.

Gerrard is just as unlikely to sign for MLS. He will try to win a premiership title with Liverpool for as long as they offer him a contract. I would expect him to play for nothing as long as he got the opportunity. I don't think money would persuade him otherwise.

He sure is, but that makes him very much less likely to leave Europe for MLS.

And yeah, Ibra would be a more successful DP, on the pitch, than Gerrad, but there is NO chance Ibra is leaving PSG anytime soon for the MLS. On the other hand, Gerrad could very well end up in the MLS in the summer.

So would you rather have Gerrad in the Summer or Ibra after a few more years till he starts to decline at the highest level?

The main point is the only way Ibra comes here is if he starts to decline to less than a goal a game and probably till he's only potting a 'handful' of goals a year, so in a sense it would be the same situation as every other high priced DP that comes to the MLS.

DP is not for your most impactful player on the pitch, sadly; it is much more for the impact in the merchandising and marketing ventures.

Which I'd have to give to Gerrad over Ibra, for name and fan recognition.

No doubt. I had no delusions about Ibra coming over to MLS at this point in his career.

You laugh at the fact he's from Brampton? The footballing centre of this country? Okay then...

Archived