TFC vs Philly [R]

Juby

TFC beat Philadelphia on a Danny K goal in the 88th, I don't get the channel so I'm looking forward to match reports. From the gamecast, Toronto clearly out shot Philly despite the lone goal.

edit: How do I change the title, my bad for the spoiler

Maybe change the thread title for those who haven't seen the game

Good performance but I need to say Ryan Johnson is talented as hell but I'm not sure if he's selfish or just plain stupid sometimes, his decision making is awful.

Good performance but I need to say Ryan Johnson is talented as hell but I'm not sure if he's selfish or just plain stupid sometimes, his decision making is awful.

Even before he arrived in Toronto, Ryan Johnson had among the worst strike rates in the league, certainly the worst strike rate among regular starters when he played for San Jose.

Strike Rate is usually measured as the ratio between goals / shots. The statistical relationship between shots and goals is actually a low correlation, but players that have more shots score slightly more goals than those with less shots.

Even still, looking at Johnson's strike rate, he was the worst performer early in the 2011 season before he came to Toronto, with a strike rate of LESS than 5%... that means, he could have taken 20 shots and still might not get a goal.

Aron Winter's should really take a page out of Billy Beane's playbook. Koeverman's is still technically recovering. He also looks slow and lazy... but he puts ball in the back of the net at a good rate. Johnson does not.

I'd be interested to know the strike rate of Alan Gordon compared to Ryan Johnson. Gordon has scored 3 straight clutch goals (game winners or game tying goals) for San Jose in the last three matches.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2011/4/6/2094798/stats-dropping-shots-on-goal-out-of-the-picture

Ryan Johnson = Poor Man's Chad Barrett. Only younger, slower, and with a darker tan.

Johnson is a lot more talented than Barrett ever was, he's just a dumb footballer. He has a great combination of height, speed and dribbling ability, sure its not blazing speed but for his size it's all you can ask for. You can't fault his effort and passion either, he's always giving it his all but he ends up wasting his effort on selfish or stupid plays.

Johnson is a lot more talented than Barrett ever was, he's just a dumb footballer. He has a great combination of height, speed and dribbling ability, sure its not blazing speed but for his size it's all you can ask for. You can't fault his effort and passion either, he's always giving it his all but he ends up wasting his effort on selfish or stupid plays.

I agree... But this is a results based business.... Effort is meaningless, you need to be a shark in front of goal.

Barret put up a lot of effort too...

You can have the athleticism, the look, strength and even work effort... But Billy Beane (Winters) needs players that can get on base (score goals).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree... But this is a results based business.... Effort is meaningless, you need to be a shark in front of goal.

Barret put up a lot of effort too...

You can have the athleticism, the look, strength and even work effort... But Billy Beane (Winters) needs players that can get on base (score goals).

Goals would be nice but the key is just getting Johnson to contribute to the team, this isn't baseball we need him involved in things that can't be measured... build up, smarts, movement. He could be an effective player he just needs to pick his shots better and not be a selfish prick, he'd have a lot more assists to show up on his stat page.

Goals would be nice but the key is just getting Johnson to contribute to the team, this isn't baseball we need him involved in things that can't be measured... build up, smarts, movement. He could be an effective player he just needs to pick his shots better and not be a selfish prick, he'd have a lot more assists to show up on his stat page.

Winters shouldnt use him as a centre striker, if his greatest attribute is something other than scoring...

Winters shouldnt use him as a centre striker, if his greatest attribute is something other than scoring...

Not to beat up on Johnson too much (just yet), I don't want to sound like I think he deserves to be crucified, but that's just it isn't it? Enthusiasm, no matter how contagious shouldn't be a singular enough reason to justify a place on a team's 1st 11.

To be fair, things having gone such as they have so far I'm quite sure we haven't seen the best of any of the Toronto players, not by a long shot. Maybe Johnson will find his rhythm soon enough, maybe not, but Geezus if anybody out-there has played their way onto the bench so far this season it HAS to be Eckersley and Johnson.

Johnson has to deliver the goods. He isn't making everyone else around him that much better with what he does. The good news is he's got a couple of weeks now to find his mojo.

Hes a center striker, he needs to score. But his job and s to set up, then put him as a winger or attacking mid...

Former Nottingham Forrest Manager Brian Clough effectively used the strike rate stat to recruit strikers...

He seemed to have his mojo during the Amway Cup.

I dont think he ever had his mojo. Take enough shots he'll eventually score. The goals just fell in non league play.

The guys strike rate has been bad since he was in san jose (below 5%). He has consistently had poor finosh through out his career.

Winters really has to look at his long term stats and he'll find a poor history... Kik

Ryan Johnson = Poor Man's Chad Barrett. Only younger, slower, and with a darker tan.

Um, Ryan Johnson is actually older than Chad Barrett.

I think a more apt comparison (both being Jamaican) is Johnson is a bigger, slower version of Jeff Cunningham.

Hes a center striker, he needs to score. But his job and s to set up, then put him as a winger or attacking mid...

Former Nottingham Forrest Manager Brian Clough effectively used the strike rate stat to recruit strikers...

But if you're using those stats that isn't really fair because he has split time between the left wing (where he should be) and the centre forward position. FWIW he was scoring the most goals from the left wing spot at the beginning of the season when Koev was starting.

Boy - i'm just glad they got the win. The thing is that TFC midfielders also don't often look like scoring.

Anyone see the salaries of the players in the MLS. I think this list is hilarious - like one big happy family. Some crazy low salaries for some guys.

But if you're using those stats that isn't really fair because he has split time between the left wing (where he should be) and the centre forward position. FWIW he was scoring the most goals from the left wing spot at the beginning of the season when Koev was starting.

The stat is based on a shots:goals ratio, not # of matches to goals. Based on this stat, it means hes miss firing both as a winger and a center striker.

I still think the goals he does score are based on the law of average. Take 20 or more shots and eventually a couple squeek past keeper. It just happens to fall in a big tourny, but as a coach, u still cant rely on the guy.

Chad Barrat scored more in Voyageurs and CCL (two goals against Montagua) play than in the league for TFC as well, and was always in the right place at the right time and found all sorts of creative ways to miss the net. Nobody apologized for him....

Archived