Portland Home Debut . . . Wow, on a few levels

Drew Shaw

Having watched a few clips of the Portland / Chicago game, I have to say that those fans are some distance ahead of the fans in Vancouver (which are already more passionate than half the existing MLS clubs). The North West expansion has, at least in terms of fan culture, been a massive breath of fresh air for MLS.

While I look forward to hating the Timbers, good for them for making a memorable home debut for their fans. That is going to be a hostile environment to play in.

I was impressed also. It makes me think that Montreal has their work cut out for them to compete with TFC and Van as far as supporters go. The unique stadium adds to the experience, I was happy to see the fans get rewarded with the win.

The game itself was very entertaining as Chicago did not surrender scoring two late goals to answer Portland's three, only to have the Timbers net their fourth late to seal the deal. Of course the officiating was issue again and Garbor stated that they are subjet to FIFA's rule of no league refs.

I watched the whole game. Very chippy and aggressive. Maybe it was the rain on the fake turf that contributed but I have never seen a game with so many players getting run over from behind. Just barged right over. Portland was up 3-0 and the Fire tried to do a Vancouver (tie 3-3 after trailing 0-3) but ended up doing a TFC (losing 4-2). Portland was going flat out and deserved the win.

The Timbers Army has a great setup and the roof amplifies their sound. Not that they need much as they seem to belt out a tune pretty good. I can understand why Vancouver has fake turf but why doesn't Portland have grass? They are not sharing the stadium are they? We'll be calling the PacNW "plasticville" soon. All 3 have great fan support but all 3 play on fake grass. Too bad.

As to the ref well lets just clone that guy. I wish that loser Toledo would watch that game. The ref kept control, gave out some cards but didn't overdo it or become the center of attention. Given the overly physical nature of the game I was very impressed by how he managed it. Besides I think he could beat up most players! Seriously look at the arms on that dude!

Well done ref, and well done Timbers (and TA natch).

I can understand why Vancouver has fake turf but why doesn't Portland have grass? They are not sharing the stadium are they?

They are sharing with college and highschool gridiron teams (IIRC). It's how they were able to get public funding to do the renovations.

Can't blame the rain on FieldTurf - both Seattle Sounders and Whitecaps have the FieldTurf hosed down with water at half time by choice.

Water before the game and at halftime is one thing but the constant down pour they were in last night really saturated the field. Their drainage could barely keep up. The ball was constantly throwing up a tail of water behind it when it was kicked on the ground. I think that lead to some players not being able to stop.

The game was very entertaining. It was also very much a knock down drag out affair. I thought the reffing was good at keeping it going but not letting it get out of hand. Yes he missed some but he got most of it correct, didn't decide the game and wasn't the center of attention.

Water before the game and at halftime is one thing but the constant down pour they were in last night really saturated the field. Their drainage could barely keep up. The ball was constantly throwing up a tail of water behind it when it was kicked on the ground. I think that lead to some players not being able to stop.

The game was very entertaining. It was also very much a knock down drag out affair. I thought the reffing was good at keeping it going but not letting it get out of hand. Yes he missed some but he got most of it correct, didn't decide the game and wasn't the center of attention.

I didn't even know that an artificial surface could get water logged! At one point early in the first, Cooper took a worm burner shot and the ball just about halted to a stop when it hit the water.

Good game to watch and very exciting but the football was not the best (more due to the conditions?) Chicago did not look good at all and if not for some wonderful goalkeeping early it could have been worse for them.

Kenny Cooper was an animal though, Hassli should learn about composure from him.

I can't believe that crowd was only 18,600. It looked and sounded exponentially bigger than that. PGE/Jeldwen park was a great baseball stadium, but it's now the best soccer stadium in North America. I would love to take in a game there.

Portland did very well, the TA doesn't **** around.

They have a very good FO that aside from the logo fiasco, has bred a very good environment to encourage support, and it's paying off.

And I'm sorry but, if people think Montreal has its work cut out to "compete" with Vancouver... you're higher than a skyscraper. Portland and Seattle are impressive. Vancouver is eager, but that's about it.

Portland did very well, the TA doesn't **** around.

They have a very good FO that aside from the logo fiasco, has bred a very good environment to encourage support, and it's paying off.

And I'm sorry but, if people think Montreal has its work cut out to "compete" with Vancouver... you're higher than a skyscraper. Portland and Seattle are impressive. Vancouver is eager, but that's about it.

Not since the days of Crazy George leading cheers for the BC Lions has a mascot/cheerleader gone as far as Timber Jim did. Now his successor Timber Joey is carrying on the traditions. It is quite impressive the sound you get when you have a roof amplify the sound. We all should ditch the cute animal mascots and try to find something original, cool and crazy. As far as organized fan groups go the TA hold a candle to none.

Not since the days of Crazy George leading cheers for the BC Lions has a mascot/cheerleader gone as far as Timber Jim did. Now his successor Timber Joey is carrying on the traditions. It is quite impressive the sound you get when you have a roof amplify the sound. We all should ditch the cute animal mascots and try to find something original, cool and crazy. As far as organized fan groups go the TA hold a candle to none.

Deep down though, it is a mascot, and the TA have unique problems that other groups don't face, they are far from perfect. Overall, in terms of production seatlle still runs the show, a lot of money, and a lot of skill.

TA has a lot of money, but not as much skill.

Archived