FC Edmonton "Kicks for Kids"

strobe_z

Good on FCE to create the program. I'm guessing they're not aware of the anger in this community toward him!

Hey, I'm happy someone is doing something for the kids, don't get me wrong. I just would have rather seen Tosaint Ricketts instead.

On a side note, FCE deleted my comment that it was unfortunate Begovic was a traitor and that it's too bad they couldn't get a Canadian instead.

somebody should tell him that its too late to come back.... He dug his grave, now he's stuck with it. He should apologize and then we'll take his money. That or give it anonymously and then maybe, at least it wouldn't reek of a PR move from him.

Hey, I'm happy someone is doing something for the kids, don't get me wrong. I just would have rather seen Tosaint Ricketts instead.

On a side note, FCE deleted my comment that it was unfortunate Begovic was a traitor and that it's too bad they couldn't get a Canadian instead.

Where can you add comments??

Where can you add comments??

On the facebook page for FCE. But any negative will most likely get deleated in my opinion. The team isn't exactly looking for negative press out of it. Besides, I think this is an ill-advised, but good intentioned move. What better person to have support local youth than a local talent made it big? FCE just didn't know local talent made big snubbed his country.

I am quite biased here, as a lot of this program was set up with me working between YESS and FCE. I love the fact they're giving tickets, but a little disapointed they had to find a sponsor for them.

Point of Order guys,

I don't know Asmir Begovic's background or who he's dumped on locally to get where he is. But acording to that quick Bio on the FCE tag he's Bosnian born correct.

Technically speaking, my Understanding is that If he (or any other migrant) wanted to play for Canada he/she would have to play in Canada-or for a canadian Pro team from the age of 18 for a least Five years to be considered. So, other than MI, VW or TFC, going to Europe is probably a young migrants only option.

Also if he did show well in local alberta Soccer under the previous ASA regeime, where would he develope to international class?

Furthermore, irrespective of where someone is raised, they may always personally consider the Land of their Birth or the geaneolgical lineage to be home, Perticulary if your reason for migration is parental and not their own to make.

Its not as if he's cashing in on a lucrative international career like a certain Canadian Born Calgarian who we must not Name. Oh okay then, Owen **********.

Bob Wilson was a Scotish Goalkeeper born and raised in Chesterfield (England), to Scotish Parents. He trained with the Busby Babes. Idolised Bert Trautman and Played his Pro career at Arsenal. But he chose to play for the land of his Parents Birth not his own, because he considered himself a dislocated scot. (although he did get a lot of stick from the Tartan Army)

As I say I dont know Asmir Begovic's local bio, but the way i'm reading this is he's more in for more stick than OH, so I stand to be corrected/ further educated please.

Apologies to all if I'm been a bit obvious on some of these comments, but there are probably new posters and readers to these pages who know less about this than I do.

As rdoz asked, Yes. New to Canada.

And mtlfan, true he does not show himself in a good light at all. and yes FCE PR boys need to following up on this and make sure he clears his position.

Still if this makes National sports pages, then as they say in many PR companies, "No News is Bad news."

Just hope Edmontons' PR are smart on this one.

And by the way Alberta he's also a liar. FC Edmonton is maling a PR mistake with this one.

I disagree that they're making a mistake. What's the average fan with no idea of the past history going to think? "Oo cool, they're attracting support from a player from a European club!"

Based on the news reporting that we've seen around Edmonton about the club, I'd be suprised if they caught much press about this at all.

So basically, they'll tick off the hardcore Canadian supporters for a small slight, and gain some attention from the other fans.

Just my opinion, but I'm like Alberta... No idea previous to today.

Okay, after checking up on Wikipedeia, Asmir Begovic's position seems quite duplicitous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmir_Begovi%C4%87#Canada

However, I'd like to know what happened in the CSA to make him jump ship as he did.

Also, Bear in mind there are Photos of Ryan Giggs and Domenic Matteo in England Shirts at Junior Levels.

There are rumours flying around Begovic that either Bosnians approached his family and paid them off or approached his family and threatened them...perhaps even both. The rumours had said that Begovic was happy with Canada.

Now whether there's anything to those rumours is something else entirely.

What I do know is he played for us, and then jumped ship.

What was the Competition like for his place prior to Jumping ship?

If your in the squad but not in first choice spot, and have a dual nationality, then you can be in a tight spot.

Again, think about the Bob Wilson situation, irespective of his choice tp play for Scotland, he had played for England as a schoolboy. However, to pull on an England Goalie shirt he would have to first Unseat Gordon Banks, rated as the Beast Goalkeeper in the world during the 1960's and early 1970's

When theSFA came calling ,we'll what do you say?

What was the Competition like for his place prior to Jumping ship?

If your in the squad but not in first choice spot, and have a dual nationality, then you can be in a tight spot.

Again, think about the Bob Wilson situation, irespective of his choice tp play for Scotland, he had played for England as a schoolboy. However, to pull on an England Goalie shirt he would have to first Unseat Gordon Banks, rated as the Beast Goalkeeper in the world during the 1960's and early 1970's

When theSFA came calling ,we'll what do you say?

Canada isn't exactly deep at the Keeper Position. At the time he switched, we had a 40+ year old Onstad, Lars Hirschfeld (still here), Greg Sutton (backup to NY), Monsalve (was playing in Finland) and Haidar Al-Shaibani (spelled wrong probably - backup in Ligue Deux).

In other words, Begovic probably would be the Canadian starter if he had stuck around and it was quite evident. Instead we have Milan Borjan and Lars Hirschfeld. Personally, I'm quite happy with the arrangement. I'd rather have two that are proud to play for Canada.

Dual Nationality can be a bicth right?

Check out the Problems the Aussies and the Croatians get themselves into.

Oh why oh why did you bring this up again (without some research) in a CANADIAN SUPPORTERS forum?

Mate, the Voyageur perspective is that Canada gave him a home, helped his development, and he was even featured in U20 adverts for Adidas. If you played for Canada and decided to turn your back for whatever reason (legal, bad experience with the FA, possibility to play in the last WC, money, etc), you are a turncoat in our eyes. This applies to all the Voyageur faves: Whoregraves, Bunbury, and Begovic. Pick your country and stick with it.

Our country --- right or wrong, is Canada. I'd even pay a $1000 to FCE's charity to kick Begovic's ass right now. Look at Milan Borjan --- that's OUR role model. He's the anti-Begovic.

What better person to have support local youth than a local talent made it big? FCE just didn't know local talent made big snubbed his country.

The article on FC Edmonton's website mentions that he's a former Canadian U-20 international and current Bosnian international (if there was such a thing as a Bosnian international right now). So either they realized and didn't care, or they didn't connect the dots.

Asmir Begovic is HIGHLY regarded in the Edmonton soccer community as one of the most standup guys around. There is not one person in Edmonton who knows Asmir that would say otherwise. Obviously none of you are familiar with the soccer community in Edmonton. This is a good move by FCE. I think they are more concerned with EDMONTON's attitude towards Begovic and not with the rest of Canada's attitude. Maybe Canadians should be upset with the incompetence of Dale Mitchell - had he just played Begovic for a couple minutes in a 3-0 win over Jamaica, he would have been capped and tied to the team. Anyway, in case I wasn't clear - I am involved in the soccer community here in Edmonton and everybody here admires Asmir Begovic. Anyone who says anything different clearly doesn't know the edmonton perspective. GOOD JOB FCE.

by the way - Maybe if Canada soccer treated their players with a little more respect they'd get the same in return. I know several of the players who were involved in the national program all the way up until the u-20s. Rather than calling them to let them know they were not part of the program anymore (i.e. were not going to be invited to the u-23 camp) they just simply don;'t call them and the players find out through friends who have been invited. I am not talking about players who have been to a camp or two - I'm talking about players who have started and played for the u-20 team. So, maybe while we're highlighting Asmir's disrespect we should also think about the respect the program shows its players.

Archived