FC Edmonton "Kicks for Kids"

strobe_z

Hey, I'm involved in the soccer community in Edmonton too and I have been since the 70's. As a player, coach, season ticket holder and a fan of every pro team we've had since the old NASL days. I used to think that Asmir was a stand up guy, I cheered him all the way from an FX academy player(my old school) right up till the WC U20's and I fully expected him to become Canada's next keeper, following in another Edmonton keeper's footsteps. But unlike Lars Hirschfeld, Asmir decided that it would be a good idea to lie to the soccer community in Edmonton and Canada. Asmir has deservedly lost the respect from a large chunk of the soccer community here in Edmonton and across Canada.

Asmir Begovic is HIGHLY regarded in the Edmonton soccer community as one of the most standup guys around. There is not one person in Edmonton who knows Asmir that would say otherwise. Obviously none of you are familiar with the soccer community in Edmonton. This is a good move by FCE. I think they are more concerned with EDMONTON's attitude towards Begovic and not with the rest of Canada's attitude. Maybe Canadians should be upset with the incompetence of Dale Mitchell - had he just played Begovic for a couple minutes in a 3-0 win over Jamaica, he would have been capped and tied to the team. Anyway, in case I wasn't clear - I am involved in the soccer community here in Edmonton and everybody here admires Asmir Begovic. Anyone who says anything different clearly doesn't know the edmonton perspective. GOOD JOB FCE.

Asmir Begovic is HIGHLY regarded in the Edmonton soccer community as one of the most standup guys around. There is not one person in Edmonton who knows Asmir that would say otherwise. Obviously none of you are familiar with the soccer community in Edmonton. This is a good move by FCE. I think they are more concerned with EDMONTON's attitude towards Begovic and not with the rest of Canada's attitude. Maybe Canadians should be upset with the incompetence of Dale Mitchell - had he just played Begovic for a couple minutes in a 3-0 win over Jamaica, he would have been capped and tied to the team. Anyway, in case I wasn't clear - I am involved in the soccer community here in Edmonton and everybody here admires Asmir Begovic. Anyone who says anything different clearly doesn't know the edmonton perspective. GOOD JOB FCE.

Two things about the bold part of your comment.

First he was cap tied at the time so that argument means nothing. It wasn't until FIFA changed the rules that he was no longer cap tied and was able to change nations. Blaming Mitchell for this oversight would be accusing him of not using his psychic powers to see into the future.

Second, it should NOT have taken being cap tied to cause Begovic to relent into playing for Canada. Canada as a nation had done enough for him and his family to earn that respect... REGARDLESS of how the CSA was run.

How on earth did Canada mistreat Asmir? He was given an international showcase... Played big minutes, big games(arguably Canada's biggest games ever at home during the WC U20's), and was in serious contention to become our next WC keeper. I'm no fan of the CSA but to use them as a scapegoat is ridiculous. Asmir lied, plain and simple and now he's hooped. Maybe he regrets what he's done and if he admits it, I'd be the first to forgive him but it'll take more than throwing a few tickets around to FCE games to make up for it. He needs to apologize to the actual soccer communities of Edmonton and Canada.

by the way - Maybe if Canada soccer treated their players with a little more respect they'd get the same in return. I know several of the players who were involved in the national program all the way up until the u-20s. Rather than calling them to let them know they were not part of the program anymore (i.e. were not going to be invited to the u-23 camp) they just simply don;'t call them and the players find out through friends who have been invited. I am not talking about players who have been to a camp or two - I'm talking about players who have started and played for the u-20 team. So, maybe while we're highlighting Asmir's disrespect we should also think about the respect the program shows its players.

What was the Competition like for his place prior to Jumping ship?

If your in the squad but not in first choice spot, and have a dual nationality, then you can be in a tight spot.

Again, think about the Bob Wilson situation, irespective of his choice tp play for Scotland, he had played for England as a schoolboy. However, to pull on an England Goalie shirt he would have to first Unseat Gordon Banks, rated as the Beast Goalkeeper in the world during the 1960's and early 1970's

When theSFA came calling ,we'll what do you say?

Spare us the f*ing UK trivia, Begovic is a douche bag. End of story.

There are plenty of people here from Edmonton, and while Asmir might run into a burning building to rescue orphaned kittens, this is a CANADIAN soccer forum, so it's besides the point.

As far as the whole actual "soccer thing" goes, I can think of plenty of better CANADIAN role models than Begovic. The reason for this, is that Canada is such a great country, you get to choose to BE Canadian. Sure Begovic wasn't born here, but it was the Canadian (and Edmonton) soccer system that developed his skills and gave him a high profile spot on the the national development team. By taking up that spot he disqualified the next kid from it... so somewhere down the line, some Canadian kid missed out on developing his soccer skills. Every effort that was poured into Begovic has gone to waste.

Compounding it was the fact that when rumors started circulating that Begovic was going to jump ship, he went on the radio and said "No way... I'm committed to Canada" and I heard it with my own ears. Less than a month later he was sitting on the Bosnian bench. To me, that makes him a liar.

I think what frustrates me the most about this actually is when people like you come here and defend him because he's a nice guy and he lived in Edmonton for a while.

Anyway, in case I wasn't clear - I am involved in the soccer community here in Edmonton and not everybody admires Asmir Begovic. Anyone who says they do clearly doesn't know the Canadian perspective. GOOD IDEA FCE - POOR CHOICE.

I'd say this could be taken as another example where FCE management doesn't quite get it. Begovic likely has a neutral or negative impression throughout the Edmonton community. He's definitely not Mr. Popularity. But as much as I can't stand what Begovic did, it's hard to complain too much about a player who did well that comes back to support the grassroots in some way - especially when he could very easily forget that he had any connection to Edmonton. If I'm not mistaken, his family doesn't even live there anymore.

I have long been critical of NHLers who are making millions of dollars a year and the rink in their home town is falling apart but they don't contribute a dime. Back to soccer, I have suggested before that ********** should try to rehab his image in Calgary by making some kind of contribution to the local scene. If he wrote a nice cheque and got the ball rolling for a new venue with an artificial surface with no gridirons lines on it (as some former Stampeders did at Shouldice Park for pointyball), I'd be good with that. And ********** still has a lot of roots in Calgary so it's not like he'll never be back here again. But it doesn't seem to be in most players' nature to do these things.

Jason

by the way - Maybe if Canada soccer treated their players with a little more respect they'd get the same in return. I know several of the players who were involved in the national program all the way up until the u-20s. Rather than calling them to let them know they were not part of the program anymore (i.e. were not going to be invited to the u-23 camp) they just simply don;'t call them and the players find out through friends who have been invited. I am not talking about players who have been to a camp or two - I'm talking about players who have started and played for the u-20 team. So, maybe while we're highlighting Asmir's disrespect we should also think about the respect the program shows its players.

Playing for the first team is not about respect, it's about who deserves it. I grant you, not the best players were always been selected but that goes with the coach decisions, not at all with favouritism from the CSA. If Begovic thought the CSA lacked respect towards him, then he has attitude issues, like some other players in the CNMT pool too. The problem with the CSA is not they lack respect towards some players, the problem is that its program is too weak and the program depends too much on individualities.

I'm talking about players who have started and played for the u-20 team.

I can't agree with this. If these players you mention didn't make the senior team it could be for a lot reasons, their development may have stalled after the age of 20. It happens in every country. Take Saviola as en example, won a U20 WC and has the record for the most goals scored at a U20 WC but today there are other strikers ahead of him and he can't make to the senior. Another problem we have in Canada is there are so few professional opportunities here that so much of our U20 talent ends in nothing at the end.

Unless you mention some names, it will be hard to acknowledge your comments.

Perhaps FCE should have steered clear of Asmir for fear of alienating hardcore MNT footy fans. I understand that point.

But just like past discussions about other players who have decided against representing Canada, I think many Voyageurs lack the context to form opinions.

When you make your living from the sport, sometimes your affiliations and loyalties get mixed up. It would be wonderful if everyone's heart pumped purple pi$$ for the Maple Leaf, but many don't.

If you were lied to, and the club that paid your wages got lied to, by no less than the gaffer of the National Team, I think you might be a little less enthusiastic about national team affiliation.

I'm not so sure we should vilify a Bosnian-born footballer whose family fled their war-torn country, who went to Germany and came to Edmonton for, oh, about 7 years, for not representing Canada at the MNT level.

I can guarantee if the CSA wasn't such a freaking mess he would be Canada's first choice in goal. You know it, I know it, but if it makes us all feel better to call him a traitor, a douche bag, a muppet or whatever else helps you sleep better, whatever.

Perhaps you'd be better off channeling your energy into electing solid people to manage the affairs of our sport...then we might not lose world-class players.

I'm not so sure we should vilify a Bosnian-born footballer whose family fled their war-torn country, who went to Germany and came to Edmonton for, oh, about 7 years, for not representing Canada at the MNT level.

I can guarantee if the CSA wasn't such a freaking mess he would be Canada's first choice in goal. You know it, I know it, but if it makes us all feel better to call him a traitor, a douche bag, a muppet or whatever else helps you sleep better, whatever.

I know that if somebody doesn't feel Canadian, doesn't care for Canada, has no intention of playing for Canada given half the chance, then he shouldn't take (steal?) our infinitesimal cash, our incredibly modest player development capability, or our U-20 caps on false pretence.

The CSA is a mess so Begovic left? What a convenient bogeyman on which to blame every failing, like a Depression-era farmer looking up at a rainless sky and saying "damn the government!" They hired a crappy coach before Begovic was part of the senior national setup. They fired him once his crappiness was evident and he'd lost our major tournament. He got called up by the much-respected replacement. Instead, he went back on his word. As soon as he could go to Bosnia, he did so, leaving a trail of lies and half-truths behind him. If Begovic had any integrity, he wouldn't have run from a challenge he'd committed himself to in public and private just because he'd sat on the bench for one game and said "wow, this team isn't very good."

But he did run. And it showed a lot about his character. So did trying to pick his transfer out of Portsmouth, or telling the coach in Stoke when he'd start. It's always been about Asmir first and the team nowhere.

I know that if somebody doesn't feel Canadian, doesn't care for Canada, has no intention of playing for Canada given half the chance, then he shouldn't take (steal?) our infinitesimal cash, our incredibly modest player development capability, or our U-20 caps on false pretence.

The CSA is a mess so Begovic left? What a convenient bogeyman on which to blame every failing, like a Depression-era farmer looking up at a rainless sky and saying "damn the government!" They hired a crappy coach before Begovic was part of the senior national setup. They fired him once his crappiness was evident and he'd lost our major tournament. He got called up by the much-respected replacement. Instead, he went back on his word. As soon as he could go to Bosnia, he did so, leaving a trail of lies and half-truths behind him. If Begovic had any integrity, he wouldn't have run from a challenge he'd committed himself to in public and private just because he'd sat on the bench for one game and said "wow, this team isn't very good."

But he did run. And it showed a lot about his character. So did trying to pick his transfer out of Portsmouth, or telling the coach in Stoke when he'd start. It's always been about Asmir first and the team nowhere.

I believe this kind of affirmation is a myth. I don't think I need to elaborate on the subject (see my post above) but I think it's important, specially to the CSA, to recognize the source of the problem (which is not about feeling Canadian or not) or it's going to be a matter of time before we know the guy who drops the program for another country.

Okay,

My last post on this subject as, according to some, it's esentially a CANADIAN SUPPORTER ISSUE and not for the migrant likes of me.

Anyway,

International call ups and representation should be based on Country of birth. Period. Only exception been a parental rule which allows for children born to nationals on overseas service. (This goes for National coaches too.)

However, the qualification rules, which have been water down throughout the Blatter Presidency, will eventually lead to a total devaluation of international Football resulting in Ten South American Born Qatari Nationals taking the field for the opening Game of the 2022 World Cup Finals. What price national pride then?

Still, there are certain ethics to be considered on life. Once chosen, you NEVER change your Religion and you should NEVER, EVER, change your Football Team. (This does not apply to Pro players who get traded and sold, obviously-most dont really get a choice)

Asmir Pulled on the Canadian Red Shirt as a young Adult not as a schoolboy. He should have stuck with it.

Maybe this obsesion with who is, or is not qualified for the MNT, Rather than developing a true profesional League is putting the cart before the horse.

Without a genuine Pro league, Canada will struggle to rise much above its 84th place world ranking. Correct me but, When Canada last qualified for a World Cup Quartfinals was the last time Canada had its own fully functioning League?

In a country of 38 million, with a high participation in Soccer than Hockey, and the oldest Football Association Outside of the British Isle; the Audience record for a single match didn't even feature the home team. 71,619 (1976) East Germany vs Poland (Olympic Stadium, Montreal)

... not very good is it?

Right I'll get back to the "Stringing Mascots up by the thumbs in favour of Lapdancing Cheerleaders" Thread and leave you true MNT supporters to it.

Cheers!

1) This is a thank you from a refugee who decided for murky reasons (threats to family, cash ?) to play for a different country.

2) Kids in Edmonton get to see their local pro team play for free.

3) FCE sells more tickets funding their program.

I say thank you to him and wish that more "splitters" would do the same. If they won't play for us then at least they could help fund soccer development in Canada. So far as I know he is the only one to do so.

1) This is a thank you from a refugee who decided for murky reasons (threats to family, cash ?) to play for a different country.

2) Kids in Edmonton get to see their local pro team play for free.

3) FCE sells more tickets funding their program.

I say thank you to him and wish that more "splitters" would do the same. If they won't play for us then at least they could help fund soccer development in Canada. So far as I know he is the only one to do so.

+1. The point of the program is more important than who's funding it.

+1. The point of the program is more important than who's funding it.

-1. Wow, while I respect yours & everyone's opinion on this issue, I and many others would beg to differ.

If the program was funded by Qaddafi, al-Queda, Paul Bernardo, drug cartels, white supremacists, or BP, I'm sure some people would object. As a proud Canadian, it makes me uncomfortable to have a turncoat as a role model for kids' football. Brett Hull is not a role model for Winnipeg hockey players, even though he lived in Winnipeg in his youth.

But I respect everyone's opinion, even if its differs from mine.

-1. Wow, while I respect yours & everyone's opinion on this issue, I and many others would beg to differ.

If the program was funded by Qaddafi, al-Queda, Paul Bernardo, drug cartels, white supremacists, or BP, I'm sure some people would object. As a proud Canadian, it makes me uncomfortable to have a turncoat as a role model for kids' football. Brett Hull is not a role model for Winnipeg hockey players, even though he lived in Winnipeg in his youth.

But I respect everyone's opinion, even if its differs from mine.

Wow.. I can't believe you just made a link from this to terrorism.. A little far of a reach don't you think?

Back to the point, I wasn't trying to endorse the choice of sponsor. I, like many MANY people in Edmonton had NO idea whatsoever about any of this stuff that had gone on. So, when I heard that FCE was going ahead to help get kids to games, I was quite encouraged, and excited about it. I worked in non-profit for a long time, and in this case, talked a lot with the front office about setting up a ticket program so that these youth who are living on the street might have a chance to experience something normal. Trust me it goes a long way for the kids. FCE stepped up and got the program started. I believe I had also heard that they were going to use 50/50 sales at the games to sponsor the Youth Emergency Shelter Society. Should they not do this as gambling is something that agency is trying to discourage the youth from doing? Hell no! Its money, and for that agency, its valuble money.

I could care less about the past and what this sponsor has done to break a number of people's trust on this forum. Fact is, someone stepped up and is providing some funding, allowing FCE to provide the service while still getting money for the tickets.

For the record, I respect any and all opinions too, and I do appreciate you clarifying your respect for my position. I'm seeing this from a different point of view as I wasn't around for this betrayal and have more emotionally invested in the creation of the program than the sponsor. In my opinion, its rather shallow and self-centered of us as Canadian supporters to continue to hold this against a player, as well as think that its a bad choice by the club. At the very least, its gotten people talking in this community about the club, and regardless of our opinion, the program will continue as planned.

In my opinion, its rather shallow and self-centered of us as Canadian supporters to continue to hold this against a player, as well as think that its a bad choice by the club. At the very least, its gotten people talking in this community about the club, and regardless of our opinion, the program will continue as planned.

As football fans, we are inherently irrrational, especially when it comes to our national team. A number of members of this forum have ridden the Mens National Team rollercoaster for a lot of years, and frankly we do take it personally when these tratiors shun their own country. It honestly makes me sick when these guys turn their back on Canada but likely hold Canadian passports for all the convieniences and benefits it brings. The problem is it is easy for them to turn their back on the National Team and still be "Canadian." We, as national team supporters need to make it difficult for those who leave.

Shallow/self-centered or not, I'll hold it against Asmir, OH, Jacob Lensky, Teal Bunbury et. al until my heart stops. Most of the people on the forum will agree with me.

Archived