FC Edmonton's first win

Dude! you have a newborn! She's never gonna let you leave that much!

But seriously, I think that is a HUGE bonus for FCE. Hopefully FCE can have an awesome start to the season, and the Eskies have yet another crappy start to the season, so all the sports writers start raving about the newest, hotest ticket in town and the FCE get too big for Foote in a year.

Sorry been a long week. I need to dream for a bit lol

But seriously, I think that is a HUGE bonus for FCE. Hopefully FCE can have an awesome start to the season, and the Eskies have yet another crappy start to the season, so all the sports writers start raving about the newest, hotest ticket in town and the FCE get too big for Foote in a year.

Sorry been a long week. I need to dream for a bit lol

As an ex-employee of the Rush, it doesn't matter how bad the big team does, they will always get the first 4 pages of the sports section. If FC Edmonton wins 2/3 of their season opening road trip and then manages what has to be considered an upset win over Toronto FC followed up a home win on May 1st, the team will draw some attention.

The team seems to be putting a bit of work into social media and in today's world, social media is slowing passing newsprint.

Their schedule doesn't overlap with the Eskimos at all!

Now I have to convince my wife to let me get season tickets to the Eskimos as well.

Do you not have a bunting bag to carry the child with you when you go to sports events ?

If you take the baby ..your wife will love you..its like when you have a choice of getting a new car for 40k or keeping the old one and spending 40k on landscaping.....your wife will love you more when you get the landscaping.

I thought you were going to say your first win was drawing TFC at home, which has the potential to be the biggest drawing game of the season. And also helps open the season with a "Canadian Rival" which Edmonton fans in general should be able to get up for a little bit given the other sports where our teams go at it. I wonder how many TFC fans from the Alberta and neighbouring provinces will attend? We had an OK contingent from BC against the 'cappers.

Also based on your current(or projected) team and your preseason preparations, is there any chance of FCE getting a result in the Commonwealth game? I haven't heard anything from FCE in-term of players signed or preseason preparations.

I thought you were going to say your first win was drawing TFC at home, which has the potential to be the biggest drawing game of the season. And also helps open the season with a "Canadian Rival" which Edmonton fans in general should be able to get up for a little bit given the other sports where our teams go at it. I wonder how many TFC fans from the Alberta and neighbouring provinces will attend? We had an OK contingent from BC against the 'cappers.

Also based on your current(or projected) team and your preseason preparations, is there any chance of FCE getting a result in the Commonwealth game? I haven't heard anything from FCE in-term of players signed or preseason preparations.

FCE is going to be hosting the game against TFC in Commonwealth actually. As far as the team has informed or announced to the fans, that will be the only game there this season. The players signed... its one of my personal frustrations. The last word I had from the team was that they would announce a finalized roster in mid March after training camp. Apparently there are 10 signed for sure, but a lot waiting on contracts. There are a lot of rumours and unconfirmed info floating around out there though. Most of it can be read on the thread "FC Edmonton's 2011 roster".

FCE is going to be hosting the game against TFC in Commonwealth actually. As far as the team has informed or announced to the fans, that will be the only game there this season. The players signed... its one of my personal frustrations. The last word I had from the team was that they would announce a finalized roster in mid March after training camp. Apparently there are 10 signed for sure, but a lot waiting on contracts. There are a lot of rumours and unconfirmed info floating around out there though. Most of it can be read on the thread "FC Edmonton's 2011 roster".

Thanks I think....Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Commonwealth in Edmonton? Or is it in Calgary? I always thought it was Edmonton. My apologies.

Hey now! I used to live about 10 blocks from Commonwealth! Never once got threatened... Did step over a few dirty needles though...

Commonwealth is indeed in Edmonton... It will most likely look incredibly empty as well... One would hope that the stadium and the team conspire to make it look like its as full as possible on TV, but we'll see.

As an ex-employee of the Rush, it doesn't matter how bad the big team does, they will always get the first 4 pages of the sports section. If FC Edmonton wins 2/3 of their season opening road trip and then manages what has to be considered an upset win over Toronto FC followed up a home win on May 1st, the team will draw some attention.

The team seems to be putting a bit of work into social media and in today's world, social media is slowing passing newsprint.

I work at the Sun and that wasn't true, traditionally. The Rush got that coverage specifically because of their draw numbers. Local papers weren't taking any soccer venture seriously, due to scant resources and the history of league failures (which doesn't necessarily equate to "unpopular" as their draws sometimes showed, but I digress.)

The new publisher, John Caputo, is a huge soccer fan. So yeah, the coverage is likely going to increase as long as the team holds its end up and promotes the living heck out of it.

Oh and social media is still drawing less than half the local direct impact of print. So that's a real slow pass.

Hey Razcle, good to see you board-hopping dude!

Yeah, there's a chance FCE could take it. They have good players, a coach with a good track record. They don't have TFC's skill or depth, but they've got enough to squeak it, ala past NCC encounters

Yeah, there's a chance FCE could take it. They have good players, a coach with a good track record. They don't have TFC's skill or depth, but they've got enough to squeak it, ala past NCC encounters

Hey Jloome. It was an interesting first post so I thought I would ask what we can expect to be up against. I haven't heard much from FCE and wanted to know if this was going to be a test or not.

Do you not have a bunting bag to carry the child with you when you go to sports events ?

If you take the baby ..your wife will love you..its like when you have a choice of getting a new car for 40k or keeping the old one and spending 40k on landscaping.....your wife will love you more when you get the landscaping.

My youngest went to his first match, Adelaide United v Chengchun Yati (2008 Asian Champions League), at the tender age of 1 year 3 months and seven days.

The 'incident' is documented below.

Crying over YU.pdf

They got 30 000+ for the Whitecaps/ Galaxy game. They should match that with this game. Even without Backham, they are still working with more favourable variables this time around. You have Toronto, a city hated without justification, and the local professional team.

My guess is 5-10k

If it were properly promoted and the weather was good it could easily get 10K to 15k. Their front office severely underestimates promotional requirements though, as evidenced by the lack of local action so far. They think the Everton v. River Plate game was a success.

They should be all over media, every day, with a new angle til this thing kicks off. But if that doesn't happen and the weather's bad, your range will probably be bang on.

Does anyone have a roster of FCE? I have the impression they have a lot of untested players and did not pick up a number of NASL veterans like I expected them to do but I may be wrong. I would like to see who they have in camp.

Does anyone have a roster of FCE? I have the impression they have a lot of untested players and did not pick up a number of NASL veterans like I expected them to do but I may be wrong. I would like to see who they have in camp.

They only have a 10-man roster on the site.

You try to give FC Edmonton the benefit of the doubt, but after a while, it gets old. When the NASL disappears next year, I wonder if FC Edmonton will be no more.

All the fighting they put into getting sanctioned, all of the breath they used to champion their cause and status, and they still aren't willing to spend more then the bare minimum on advertising. What is the point if you keep losing money on the two thousand fans that pay ten to fifteen bucks to watch. I doubt the league will survive. Does anyone in Miami or Tampa even know that they have had a team for years? Does anyone in the twin cities know that the NSC exist? I have my doubts. F.C. Edmonton might advertise alright in the two upcoming months, but two Canadian teams can't keep a league afloat.

You try to give FC Edmonton the benefit of the doubt, but after a while, it gets old. When the NASL disappears next year, I wonder if FC Edmonton will be no more.

excuse the ignorance on my behalf, but IF FC Edmonton actually gets "sustainable" attendance numbers and the NASL disappears, is joining the MSL out of the question?

I'm new at this, so please don't flame, just not sure I want to spend a bunch of money on a one year wonder.

excuse the ignorance on my behalf, but IF FC Edmonton actually gets "sustainable" attendance numbers and the NASL disappears, is joining the MSL out of the question?

I'm new at this, so please don't flame, just not sure I want to spend a bunch of money on a one year wonder.

If they put up decent numbers and the league folds they might get looked at a possible MLS club down the road, but they would need a few more seasons with good attendance figures, ownership totalling eighty million dollars, and a soccer specific stadium. All possible, if they knew MLS was an option, but I figure they would go to the USL or a Canadian league, if a Canadian league formed in the wake of the NASL folding. Heck F.C. Edmonton could go to the PDL for a while, until another good Division II formed.

I doubt F.C. Edmonton will be a one year wonder if they can pull in some decent crowds. So if you want them to exist beyond this year then support them this year.

If they put up decent numbers and the league folds they might get looked at a possible MLS club down the road, but they would need a few more seasons with good attendance figures, ownership totalling eighty million dollars, and a soccer specific stadium. All possible, if they knew MLS was an option, but I figure they would go to the USL or a Canadian league, if a Canadian league formed in the wake of the NASL folding. Heck F.C. Edmonton could go to the PDL for a while, until another good Division II formed.

I doubt F.C. Edmonton will be a one year wonder if they can pull in some decent crowds. So if you want them to exist beyond this year then support them this year.

so what your saying is FC Edmonton is the soccer version of the Edmonton Capitals Baseball club in the sense every year they may be in a different league:confused:

Back to my ignorance, for all the leagues you mentioned, would the roster/coaching staff stay the same a la the Capitals and all their league changes?

Thanks for the info, man:)

Archived