2011 WCQ: Pick the venues

CanadianSoccerFan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monckton FC ? Monckton United? Honestly I don't get this facination with playing games in a conurbation without even a semi-pro side. Unless I'm missing something.

Honestly, I would like to understand this.

Look I can't even spell the place name properly...Its that prominent on the RADAR

Monckton FC ? Monckton United? Honestly I don't get this facination with playing games in a conurbation without even a semi-pro side. Unless I'm missing something.

Look I can't even spell the place name properly...Its that prominent on the RADAR

Actually you spelled it right.

Moncton was named after General Monckton who defeated the French at nearby Fort Beausejour in 1755.

Mind you the fact that he was one of British leaders of the Acadian Deportation has always been kind of controversial at points of time.

But hey the Acadians just came back anyways, But not after many Acadians became Cajuns (notice the similarity)

Over the years the K just sort of got lost in the city's name.

I think the fascination is to get the game into the regions as well as the large centres. Also Moncton has been fairly successful at putting on events.

I'm not sure if a soccer event will work but if it's never done we'll never know.

Moncton was supposed to be too small to host world leaders but La Francophonie Summit went off with out a hitch. Major concerts were supposed to be out of reach too as were world sports events.

The outstanding success of the CFL games(s) though have been the momentum. Because once again Moncton was supposed to be too small.

So unless it happens and is either successful or not..............

Reasons to play in Moncton

- Grass pitch. Not many of those in our country

- Appropriate seating capacity

- Harder for away fans to get to

- Game more likely to be appreciated by community. Hosting a qualifier would likely be a big deal for a city like Moncton.

- Less media clutter. A game in Moncton doesn't have to compete for attention. More likely for the region's population to be fully aware of the game unlike Toronto where hardly anybody knows a game is happening other than die hards like us.

Well you better start doing some research. If it's good enough for U2 it's good enough to host the CMNT. This ain't merry ol England pally.

Reasons to play in Moncton

- Grass pitch. Not many of those in our country

- Appropriate seating capacity

- Harder for away fans to get to

- Game more likely to be appreciated by community. Hosting a qualifier would likely be a big deal for a city like Moncton.

- Less media clutter. A game in Moncton doesn't have to compete for attention. More likely for the region's population to be fully aware of the game unlike Toronto where hardly anybody knows a game is happening other than die hards like us.

I'm with beachesl in not understanding the love for TO. Yes there is a loyal hardcore fanbase, just not enough of them. Why should Toronto get all the big games when they can't sellout in that huge market. I read someone say they should only have games in TO to grow the market. Hell they've had enough chances, let the Maritimers have a chance to fail. Problem is they won't and they'll draw the same number as TO except with 10 times less a population.

I'm with beachesl in not understanding the love for TO. Yes there is a loyal hardcore fanbase, just not enough of them. Why should Toronto get all the big games when they can't sellout in that huge market. I read someone say they should only have games in TO to grow the market. Hell they've had enough chances, let the Maritimers have a chance to fail. Problem is they won't and they'll draw the same number as TO except with 10 times less a population.

+1

Toronto makes most sense since BMO field is National Soccer Stadium and it's cheaper to play there than anywhere else in Canada. Plus, it makes easier for players fly in from Europe and USA. Also, all of our sports media headquarters is located in Toronto and it will be cheaper and easier for them to broadcast the games and give a lot of coverage. Lastly, fan support (not soccer mom type of crowd who we usually see in other Canadian cities) is there in Toronto.

Yes there is a loyal hardcore fanbase, just not enough of them.

OK then, who has a bigger loyal fan base out there in Canada?

Why should Toronto get all the big games when they can't sellout in that huge market.

What big games has Toronto gotten? In the last twelve years, there has been two world cup qualifiers played in Toronto. BOTH WERE SELL OUTS 1) versus Mexico in 2000 which turned to be a meaningless game because it was the last of the group stage games in which Canada was long eliminated. 2) Versus Jamaica in 2008- opening game of semi finals but hardly the importance or quality of opponent that the game versus Honduras in Montreal represented. Then there was the formality game versus the best team in the region Mexico which was played in Edmonton. Who got the big game(s)?

I read someone say they should only have games in TO to grow the market. >>>>>>>>>

Who ever said that? We dont need to grow the fan base here. there are plenty of soccer fans here if you have even bothered read this forum whats happening in the soccer related topics. There is is no need to grow the fan base in TO. In other places in Canada, yes i would agree. That's one reason that I think we need to play in Moncton.

Problem is they won't and they'll draw the same number as TO except with 10 times less a population.

Do you have proof of this. Show me the numbers.

I still believe that Moncton would be an ideal venue for any WCQ match.

FK, the WCQ against Mexico in 2000 wasn't sold out. That said, it was played in November, temp was 0C and it was a meaningless game...

It was sold out. There were some 8K people there and that's all that Varsity could hold given the fact that most of the stadium seats were condemned

So sooner or later Stade Moncton Stadium will go the way of Commonwealth Stadium.

Well not for the next few years because there's enough Athletics events lined up.

But sooner or later somebody will build a better track.

Then somebody will suggest laying asphalt and plastic to make an all-weather field usable from April to November.

Universite de Moncton should have a football team by then.

And nobody will want to cover the cost of keeping grass for a soccer game that might happen once a decade or a generation.

Then like Commonwealth or even on a smaller scale like Canada Games in Saint John we'll have lost another venue to asphalt and plastic to please the major tenants like the Eskimos or the UNBSJ Seawolves.

It's a use it or loose it scenario.

It was sold out. There were some 8K people there and that's all that Varsity could hold given the fact that most of the stadium seats were condemned

Paid attendance was 6500 and the west stand had a capacity of 9000. I am going to assume alot of people who bought tickets did not show up as there were many empty seats that day.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=4395/preliminaries/preliminary=3881/matches/match=20305/report.html

Archived