CSA Governance Reform and 2011 Elections

Bill Spiers

I commented on CSA governance reform in another thread as follows:

"Simply changing the CSA Board structure does very little (IMO) to improve the prospects for the national game. It’s the people on the CSA Board – the people making key decisions about the game’s future – who will make a difference".

Although the CSA governance reforms will not take effect until the 2012 AGM - and will not be fully in place until 2015 (subject, of course, to possible changes in the interim which could speed up - or reverse - the changes recently approved), perhaps we can get a head-start on the reforms by electing at the 2011 CSA AGM (in May) the type of individual who can make a difference in the future.

We have in BC and Ontario - two provinces who were pushing for change NOW - almost a majority of the voting strength of the CSA. Add one more province, and it's a clear majority. (Maybe that province will be Alberta?). Keep in mind that while the By-Law changes needed a two-thirds majority, the CSA elections only require a simple majority. Could those reform-minded provinces get together and agree on some reform-minded candidates that they will support?

As a quick re-cap, the following CSA Executive Committee positions are up for election this year:

One Vice-President (incumbent - Victor Montagliani)

Treasurer (incumbent - Steve Reed)

Two Directors-at-Large (incumbents - Mike Traficante and John Knox)

(The Presidency – Dominique Maestracci - is up for election in 2012 as is the other Vice-President – Rob Newman – and the other Director-at-Large – Clive Wilkinson).

Do any of the incumbents deserve to be re-elected? Do any most definitely NOT deserve to be re-elected? Who are the alternatives from within the soccer community? If we look outside the normal progression from District Association to Provincial Association to National Association, what "outside" individuals are qualified and may be interested in a position on the CSA Board? Should we be looking for candidates who meet the criteria for an Appointed Director in the future? We need more women on the Board. We need a current or former athlete. We need someone currently involved in professional soccer. And - although not stated as one of the criteria - we need someone with business experience and contacts with Corporate Canada who can bring in some much needed corporate sponsorship. Can we bring any of these people on board this year?

Let's start the discussion now. And let's open up the discussion. We've seen the power of the grass-roots in the discussion on this forum and on CSN and the resulting actions at the recent Alberta SGM. Let's get away from the back-room politicking that usually decides who gets on the CSA Board. Discuss with your District and Provincial Executives who you – and they - would like to see as the leaders of soccer in this country. Let's adopt the CSA strategy of "openness and transparency" (preached but not practiced) and see if we can generate the same cross-Canada interest in the upcoming CSA elections as was apparent in the Alberta soccer dispute.

The future of soccer in Canada is up to all of us!

Think after the Alberta shenanigans most of the incumbents clearly have to go but would I be right in thinking that John Knox would be in the pro-reform camp given he is from Ontario?
He needs to go as do others who were sent to the CSA ... not to improve but as reward for long service, its the old boy network at its worst.... dump all those individuals and elect independent thinking directors not interested in travel and trips but in improving the game on the field in Canada.

Good opening statement Bill. but I agree with Trillium they all have to go - we need a fresh start and the only way we are going to get it is to rid ourselves of those who are only interested in themselves. Traficante has done nothing positive on the administration side of the game as I know from personal knowledge, Traficante is an example of what we don't want as for the others they have failed in their responsibility to the association by allowing Traficante's behavior. The rest we will remove next year.

At times I'm confused by the animosity shown here towards Montagliani & Reed. Other than just being on the CSA BoD, are there specific details as to them being against reform?

They are the previous 2 BC provincial presidents and obviously are in touch with the current group in BC.

At times I'm confused by the animosity shown here towards Montagliani & Reed. Other than just being on the CSA BoD, are there specific details as to them being against reform?

They are the previous 2 BC provincial presidents and obviously are in touch with the current group in BC.

Their support for the President has not made them popular in Alberta. Maestracci would have been handcuffed without them.

^ Ditto. They may have BC's best interests at heart Regs, but that is precisely what the reform is trying to get rid of and they without doubt sided with Maestracci in sustaining the horror show going on in the ASA.

Update. Montagliani looks to be the muscle brought in to enforce Maestracci's wonderful efforts.

nice threat

The moratorium on new teams entering the NASL and PDL is something that could also be held against Victor Montagliani:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Skepticism+follows+talk+Canadian+soccer+league/3874380/story.html#ixzz16AdFC2KP

Victoria Highlanders FC owner Alex Campbell, whose club plays in the U.S.-based Premier Development League, feels there aren’t enough talented Canadian players to fill out the rosters of a new national league.

“It would either be a poor-quality league or a league that uses mostly imports — and where’s the player development in that?” he said. “So trying to go it alone with no high-quality players is insane. That’s the word I’d use. It’s nuts.”

Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said that in a perfect world, the concept of a Canadian soccer league is “wonderful.” “But unless they have a plan,” he said, “it seems ludicrous to stop teams from playing (in U.S. leagues). As long as players are playing at a good level, does it matter whether they’re playing in a Canadian league or a North American league?”

A cynic might question whether he would be have been pushing that so hard if he weren't up for election at this year's AGM?

• 1 month later...

Bump!

As a quick re-cap, the following CSA Executive Committee positions are up for election this year:

One Vice-President (incumbent - Victor Montagliani)

Treasurer (incumbent - Steve Reed)

Two Directors-at-Large (incumbents - Mike Traficante and John Knox)

(The Presidency – Dominique Maestracci - is up for election in 2012 as is the other Vice-President – Rob Newman – and the other Director-at-Large – Clive Wilkinson).

Do any of the incumbents deserve to be re-elected? Do any most definitely NOT deserve to be re-elected? Who are the alternatives from within the soccer community?

I was hoping to see some suggestions for new blood on the CSA Executive. So far - from what I've heard - it's the same old, same old!

Victor Montagliani running again for VP (with an eye on the President's position in 2012). However, he may be challenged by John Knox.

Steve Reed running again for Treasurer.

Some 'competition' for the two Director-at-Large positions - but only from within the Provincial Assciations. Both incumbents - Mike Traficante and John Knox - will run again. (John subject to a possible run for the VP position). Challenges may come from Jeannette Kuc (President of the Saskatchewan SA), Ken MacLean (President of the Nova Scotia SA) and Francis Millien (Quebec SA and previously CSA Executive - defeated in 2010).

Where's the new blood? Any suggestions?

Bump!

I was hoping to see some suggestions for new blood on the CSA Executive. So far - from what I've heard - it's the same old, same old!

Victor Montagliani running again for VP (with an eye on the President's position in 2012). However, he may be challenged by John Knox.

Steve Reed running again for Treasurer.

Some 'competition' for the two Director-at-Large positions - but only from within the Provincial Assciations. Both incumbents - Mike Traficante and John Knox - will run again. (John subject to a possible run for the VP position). Challenges may come from Jeannette Kuc (President of the Saskatchewan SA), Ken MacLean (President of the Nova Scotia SA) and Francis Millien (Quebec SA and previously CSA Executive - defeated in 2010).

Where's the new blood? Any suggestions?

I really wish we could get someone like Danny Bowie on the CSA board. I don't know a lot about his background in soccer but I see a lot of evidence that he is a careful thinker and a man of integrity.

The guys who interfered in Alberta, namely Montagliani, Traficante and Reed have to go. People in Ontario would know more about John but I know he was supporting Chris Billings and supports CSA reform. Next election Maestracci will be gone of course and Rob Newman needs to stay on the Board. He was the main guy for Governance reform and did huge amounts of work.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying - unsuccessfully, it seems - to stir up some interest in the upcoming CSA Elections.

Maybe Jason de Vos will have more luck with this blog

I believe nominations are now closed and I haven't heard of any additional names to those listed above. (EDIT - Sorry, one additional name, Bill Boyle from Ontario nominated for Director-at-Large).

The current 'betting' favourites are Victor Montagliani (VP), Steve Reed (Treasurer - acclamation), Ken MacLean and Francis Millien (Directors-at-Large). However, there may still be more back-room deals to be made.

The guys who interfered in Alberta, namely Montagliani, Traficante and Reed have to go.

Is there any way the CSA board could leave those spots vacant? It would be an upgrade.

If nobody runs against the incumbents for those spots can they be voted out? Of course that would require that the CSA board actually care and do something which they seem unwilling or incapable of when it comes to dealing with their execs.

We need a fresh injection of executive leaders who HAVE NOT been in the system before to make things run more efficiently. Thank you Bill for establishing this badly needed thread.

The word from multiple sets of lips whispers that Francis Millien is making a very strong push to getting back into the fold via one of the Director at Large spots. With his support from BC President Charlie Cuzzetto (who heads the 7 man CSA Futsal Committee of which Francis is 1 of Quebec's 4 members) he may likely get it. Many believe that Mike Traficante will be an odd man out this time around.

Personally, I am firmly entrenched in the belief that well established business leaders from outside the soccer community, with extensive portfolios, need to come in this year to blow up the revenue streams and steer the ship like a business. It's more than evident that Canadians coast-to-coast are heavily frustrated with how the association is managed, and also with how the 'reform' vote went.

Every person on this board who is part of a club, whether it be as a player, referee, administrator, parent, coach etc now has a duty to strongly lobby their respective clubs/districts/provincial leaders to make a progressive decision on who should be elected as part of the CSA board.

We can all come onto the Voyageurs board along with making jabs and/or comments on other sties regarding our discontent with the state of the game in our country, but it is our collective efforts to move Canadian soccer forward that will ultimately make the difference if we do incur the change or not. I implore everybody to research any current and possible candidates, present them here, and let's make something happen.

^ +1

"...well established business leaders from outside the soccer community, with extensive portfolios, need to come in this year to blow up the revenue streams and steer the ship like a business."

I've been saying that for years.

It's too late now for this year - nominations are closed - but the question I've been asking is who are those business leaders who can help our game. Who is going to look for them and which Provincial Association is going to nominate them? For this year it's the same old, same old!

Frankly the whole process and structure needs a complete overhaul but the incumbents are hardly the people to do it as they have vested interests in the status quo. I think the old Canadian Soccer Federation concept needs to be revived.

For those of us who weren't around for the CSF concept, is there anywhere to read up on it and what it would entail?

• 2 weeks later...

After the way Gary Lunn ignored Coachrich's letters and the letters from ASA members (including mine) requesting his assistance in reviewing the CSA's flawed dispute resolution process, I have to say it was very satisfying to see him getting turfed from parliament last night. Here's a big thank you to the voters in his riding!

Archived