CSA Governance Reform and 2011 Elections

Bill Spiers

Time for some public awareness from everyone and anyone.

Victoria Highlanders FC owner Alex Campbell, whose club plays in the U.S.-based Premier Development League, feels there aren’t enough talented Canadian players to fill out the rosters of a new national league.

It would either be a poor-quality league or a league that uses mostly imports — and where’s the player development in that?” he said. “So trying to go it alone with no high-quality players is insane. That’s the word I’d use. It’s nuts.

Last results of all our teams against the almighty:

MEN

1-2 2007 (in USA)

MEN U20

0-2 2010 (in USA)

MEN U17

0-3 2011 (neutral ground - CONCACAF final)

WOMEN

1-2 2007 (neutral ground)

WOMEN U20

0-1 2002 AET (home)

WOMENS U17

1-0 2010 PKs (neutral ground)

For a country that has no talented or high-quality players, we do ok.

Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said that in a perfect world, the concept of a Canadian soccer league is “wonderful.” “But unless they have a plan,” he said, “it seems ludicrous to stop teams from playing (in U.S. leagues). As long as players are playing at a good level, does it matter whether they’re playing in a Canadian league or a North American league?”

The answer in every single country in the world is yes.

After the way Gary Lunn ignored Coachrich's letters and the letters from ASA members (including mine) requesting his assistance in reviewing the CSA's flawed dispute resolution process, I have to say it was very satisfying to see him getting turfed from parliament last night. Here's a big thank you to the voters in his riding!

+1

After the way Gary Lunn ignored Coachrich's letters and the letters from ASA members (including mine) requesting his assistance in reviewing the CSA's flawed dispute resolution process, I have to say it was very satisfying to see him getting turfed from parliament last night. Here's a big thank you to the voters in his riding!
Great pity more of his ilk weren't turfed along with him. Wake up Canada!

The answer in every single country in the world is yes.

But placing a moratorium on US league participation merely halts further player development or forces kids offshore, it doesn't solve the real problem. If domestic leagues are in such demand and are so viable, then put one in place that knocks the US competition into a cocked hat, don't just stifle player development opportunities which is what the moratorium did. And from the players own personal perspective if there is any difference in development opportunities it is probably weighted in favour of the existing US based leagues. I am not holding my breath for the CSA to come up with some brilliant domestic solution especially considering the turmoil the organisation has been in for the past year or so and there doesn't seem to be anybody in the private sector waiting in the wings and willing to take the huge financial risk on a startup domestic league to compete head-on with the US models.

With all the instability in the various pro leagues south of the border, it is possible that the moratorium might be a blessing in disguise. There may have been better ways to go about it but right now, I don't think it has done any damage. It has given the CSA some time to think about what their priorities are before sanctioning a bunch more clubs to play in US leagues that are struggling to survive.

I'd be shocked if the end result of the moratorium is a plan to launch an all Canadian D2 league. But when September rolls around and the moratorium is lifted, i believe that there is going to be some progress made toward offering up a realistic, fairly well thought out strategy that will ultimately deliver more Canadian pro teams and more opportunities for Canadian players and coaches. Of course, time will tell...we've been let down before.

Maybe an infusion of new Canadian clubs is just what those 'struggling' US based leagues need to make a go of it. If the US is struggling on its own, what makes people possibly believe Canada could succeed long term with a national D2 pro league I have to wonder, seems you agree on that one. I admire your optimism about what you think the CSA will come up with, on what grounds do you base such optimism - hope - I remain skeptical? ;-)

Wouldn't do any harm but aside from a temporary situation in the NASL where the 25% quota is maxed out while Montreal plays out its final year, there is plenty of cap still in the USL leagues and the USL is chomping at the bit to pursue more franchises in Canada.

NASL is exactly what I'm thinking about, of course; with the mooted Ottawa / Calgary / Winnipeg / etc franchises, it would be good to know that at least that artificial barrier was removed.

Besides, if the leagues are regional in nature, it's always possible that the NE or Cascadia regional leagues might end up with higher than 25% Canadian team content, while their southern cousins would have none; If they're seen as independent leagues rather than divisions of one national/continental level, I could see that causing a problem (in the best of worlds, obviously, where all towns who might have a team actually do have a team).

I know it's a long shot, but why abide artificial barriers even if they're not causing a problem now? The existence of the limit speaks more to the governing soccer-development philosophy than to the practial implementation (either by its existence or by its retraction)...

As you said, wouldn't do any harm to ask.

Maybe an infusion of new Canadian clubs is just what those 'struggling' US based leagues need to make a go of it. If the US is struggling on its own, what makes people possibly believe Canada could succeed long term with a national D2 pro league I have to wonder, seems you agree on that one. I admire your optimism about what you think the CSA will come up with, on what grounds do you base such optimism - hope - I remain skeptical? ;-)

Skepticism is not unwarranted. However, I know for certain that there are key people within the CSA at the board and staff level that fully recognize how important it is to address the pro club deficit that stifles our ability to provide the necessary pathways to the pro game that our best young players need. It is my opinion that the people that are responsible for this file generally have a good understanding of what is needed and they appear willing to consider all sorts of practical options to accomplish the objective of providing more professional soccer opportunities for Canadian players, coaches, and all the other people who benefit from the establishment of more pro clubs.

Time will tell if the end result will be met with approval or derision.

^ Reassuring, but it still needs to get by the BoD and we have all seen what so often happens to reports commissioned by the BoD, even from the most eminently qualified people... most are still gathering dust on an archive shelf somewhere because the BoD didn't have the collective political gonads or chutzpah to proceed.

Archived