Canucks in Germany - February 2011

Guest Ed

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, we couldn't get seats near a rail so the flag stay in my backpack until we moved up at the very end of the match (as all of the 1860 fans were leaving in droves).

De Jong played quite well IMO. Firmly wearing my Voyageurs goggles, he seemed to be one of the best players on the pitch. TBH, I actually missed the goal 'cause I was attending to my 3 year old who would simply not sit down. Otherwise, he was very good defensively, only getting beat once or so and was really effective going forward with very few errant passes.

I often wonder why people rate Klukowski consistently higher than De Jong, I don't see that much between them. Is it that Kluk is better defensively or putts in a good cross ? With Marcel you get a free kick and corner taker and some goals, good offensive upside, and I have never seen him do terribly defensively. The left back spot is one of the few with two players in close competition for it. I personally like what De Jong brings, considering he can play left-mid and defensive mid if need be.

I think defensively Klukowski is a better option and he isn't that far off De Jong offensively. Lets not forget Kluk was our player of the year just a year ago and he's played/plays at a higher level than De Jong defending well against the likes of Villa and Mata. Both are very close so we'll have to see Kluko for the MNT. Nice problem to have!

Nice find Nolando. But it is not the club you are thinking of -- Hansa Rostock of the 3. Liga (3rd tier). The club he has signed for is Rostocker FC of the Verbandsliga Mecklenburg Vorpommern (just below the Oberligen - 5th tier). He states in an article that he could have signed with Cork but missed Germany and in particular wanted to return to Rostock to be with his girlfriend. He has suffered two ACL's (or is MCL's --- "zwei Kreuzbandrisse") and now has less lofty goals and just wants to have fun playing soccer. He may start this Saturday.

Nice find Nolando. But it is not the club you are thinking of -- Hansa Rostock of the 3. Liga (3rd tier). The club he has signed for is Rostocker FC of the Verbandsliga Mecklenburg Vorpommern (just below the Oberligen - 5th tier). He states in an article that he could have signed with Cork but missed Germany and in particular wanted to return to Rostock to be with his girlfriend. He has suffered two ACL's (or is MCL's --- "zwei Kreuzbandrisse") and now has less lofty goals and just wants to have fun playing soccer. He may start this Saturday.

I was gonna say, doesn't he have a big celeb girlfriend? Fair play

Looks like he's doing alright on the off-the-field side for sure, like most of our Canucks in Germany (and elsewhere). I believe his g/f is Miss Mecklenburg Vorpommern 2007 (in the German equivalent of entrant in Miss Canada).

Looks like he's doing alright on the off-the-field side for sure, like most of our Canucks in Germany (and elsewhere). Here is his g/f I believe, Miss Mecklenburg Vorpommern 2007 (in the German equivalent of Miss Canada).

HBB0XV8M_Pxgen_r_311x466.JPG

Well...like a Nigerian business deal, it did seem a bit too good to be true. I thought he might be playing for their second team or something, but ah well...can't fault Gyaki for his attitude.

Occean starts but Kickers Offenbach fall 2-1 to the visitors.

Ledgerwood comes on as a late sub in Wehen Wiesbaden's 1-0 loss.

Big 3-1 win for Fortuna Duesseldorf amateurs against SC Trier, pushing up their point total. Massih Wassey subbed out in the 90th minute.

Preussen Muenster also with a win, 2-0, but no sign of JBB.

Rob Friend a late sub for Hertha, Adam Straith not with the squad, as all the scoring is done in the first half 2-2 result Hertha vs Energie Cottbus.

Ironically, don't know if he will be ready for a match yet, but Ryan Gyaki and Rostocker FC face Hansa Rostock in a local 'province-cup' (LandesPokal) tomorrow.

He just might be involved after all as he is mentioned in a Hansa Rostock news item posted yesterday

Final weekend of action in February for our Canucks in Germany:

Friday

Bundesliga 2

FC Energie Cottbus (10W-6D-7L - 36 pts - 7th) host FSV Frankfurt (10W-3D-10L - 33 pts - 10th), Adam Straith might make the bench.

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

FC Koeln (7W-5D-11L - 26 pts - 13th) host surprising SC Freiburg (11W-4D-8L - 35 pts - 6th), with Kevin McKenna doubtful (back).

Bundesliga 2

Hertha Berlin (14W-4D-5L - 46 pts - 1st) away to Alemannia Aachen (9W-8D-6L- 35 pts - 8th), Rob Friend likely on the bench.

Monday

Bundesliga 2

FC Augsburg (13W-3D-5L - 44 pts - 2nd) host Erzegebirge Aue (13W-4D-6L - 42 pts - 4th) on Monday; no lineups yet.

Kevin McKenna out injured but another big win by Koeln in the Bundesliga 1 as Podolski puts them 1-0 up on SC Freiburg with a goal in the 88th minute.

Rob Friend on at minute 74 in a 5-0 romp for Hertha Berlin today in the Bundesliga 2. All goals scored prior to Rob seeing the field but a big win for their promotion hopes.

Nik Ledgerwood back to full fitness as he plays 90 minutes at left back in a 5-2 win for SV Wehen Wiesbaden over FC Heidenheim in the 3. Liga.

Olivier Occean also with 90 minutes but held off the scoresheet as Kickers Offenbach can only manage a 1-1 draw with VfR Aalen today in the 3. Liga.

Wiesbaden and Offenbach are in a dog-fight for 3rd in the league, the promotion playoff spot. SV Wehen Wiesbaden (12W-7D-7L - 43 pts - 4th) just behind Kickers Offenbach (13W-5D-7L - 44 pts - 3rd), both well off the front runners.

No sign of JBB for Preussen Muenster today as they draw Borussia Dortmund reserves 1-1 and remain atop the Regional League West.

Massih Wassey with another 90 minutes as an attacking midfielder for Fortuna Duesseldorf amateurs in a disappointing 2-1 loss to FC Homburg also in the Regional League West.

Julien Latendresse-Levesque misses the shutout with a 90th minute goal against as FC Energie Cottbus reserves defeat Tuerkiyemspor Berlin 2-1 in the Regional League North.

Janeil Hoilett off at the hour mark today as his FSV Mainz U19's defeat Karlsruher SC U19's 2-0 in the A-Junioren Bundesliga South/Southwest.

Back to back big wins for Rot Weiss Erfurt as they win 5-0 today, Srjdan Gajic with a goal from midfield. Graham Fisher out with a broken nose (ouch).

Marcel de Jong starting at left back for FC Augsburg as they attempt to retain the 2nd spot in the Bundesliga 2 after being overtaken by VfL Bochum over the weekend.

Archived