New team announced for CSL

smeghead

Windsor starting up a new team this year. THis is going to be an interesting year. News on their website.

http://canadiansoccerleague.ca/

I guess there was a border stars team before. Anyone have info on how they did and if windsor is a good addition to the league?

The article on the revamped CSL website can be found here

As far as the old Borderstars club, they were trash, they normally ranked just below or above London City at between 0 and 4 wins per season. That said, I'm hoping this group will have a much more polished game, and with City making drastic improvements this season, a true rivalry can be developed. I know I'll be attending this match at Cove Road, and if it's a high enough quality of match, I might even pop on down to the return game at Windsor.

Upon entrance in the league in 2004, Windsor was a model franchise. The club won three trophies in two years (CSL Open Cup 04, 05, American Indoor Soccer League Cup 05) and league high in attendance (1000-2500/game). In the later years, ownership began to fall apart and the team turned 180.

This is good for the CSL and semi-pro soccer to continue spreading into more communities across Ontario. Nice that they could add an extra franchise after the four announced in the fall. Are the Stars joining as a "community member" or are they investing a larger sum to have the same status as the founding members? I hope they will also partner with a youth team.

Great news. Good to see that semi-pro development in this country is continuing.

Cue pissing on the CSL from the usual sources in 5...4...3...2...1...

This post was no doubt motivated by more of the bizarre reasoning that people who criticize a league with the word "Canadian" in its name in any way, shape or form must be "anti-Canadian". :rolleyes: Assuming this is aimed at me if the poster had actually bothered to read what I post he should have have noticed that I actually made note of the fact recently that the entry of a Kitchener and a Brantford team in addition to the pre-existing team from London would make participation by a Windsor team easier if the schedule is organized with minimizing travel demands as the top priority. If that requirement for success for teams on the fringes geographically has been ignored and no lesson has been learned from what happened to the Wheels and Border Stars this Windsor entry will be as short-lived as its predecessors. Same comment applies with the new Ottawa team in the absence of a Wizards level budget and/or more teams in the Montreal area. That is constructive criticism rather than a case of "pissing on" the CSL.

Redcoat are you crazy? seriously the Border Stars never were as bad as London City. Nobody in this province is as bad as LC, LC wouldn't even win the 3rd division in London.

Things went sour near the end but still remember border star beating LC by 5 or 6 goals. cheers

Redcoat are you crazy? seriously the Border Stars never were as bad as London City. Nobody in this province is as bad as LC, LC wouldn't even win the 3rd division in London.

Things went sour near the end but still remember border star beating LC by 5 or 6 goals. cheers

I recall a winless season for Windsor in their latter years, finishing behind London by a few points as we had a whopping 2 wins. Either way, past inequities shall be rectified this season, as the Stars shall be destroyed.

I recall a winless season for Windsor in their latter years, finishing behind London by a few points as we had a whopping 2 wins. Either way, past inequities shall be rectified this season, as the Stars shall be destroyed.
Poor memory!

Windsor 9-7-4 31 pts

London 7-10-3 24 pts

Windsor 8-10-4 28 pts

London 6-12-4 22 pts

Windsor 8-8-6 30 pts

London 3-13-6 15 pts

Windsor 5-13-4 19 pts

London 3-17-2 11 pts

Windsor 7-10-5 26 pts

London 0-19-3 3 pts

Poor memory!

Windsor 9-7-4 31 pts

London 7-10-3 24 pts

Windsor 8-10-4 28 pts

London 6-12-4 22 pts

Windsor 8-8-6 30 pts

London 3-13-6 15 pts

Windsor 5-13-4 19 pts

London 3-17-2 11 pts

Windsor 7-10-5 26 pts

London 0-19-3 3 pts

None of this changes the fact that City is going to mop the floor with the Stars in 2011. :D

As somebody who is not familiar with the CSL, is there any concern about the dilution of talent with all of the expanssion that is going on? Would we not want to consolidate this tier of football so our best players are playing against the strongest competition possible?

Not a lot to worry about here. The CSL provides a good place for TFC's U-18 team to play along with the Impact's U-21 (?) team but beyond that isn't all that important in the big scheme of things from a CMNT sort of angle. Hopefully eventually (now that clubs don't need to become franchise owners to field a team) numbers will increase to the point that the concept of promotion and relegation will be factored in for a set of regional divisions that provide manageable travel distances for teams based right across the Windsor-Quebec corridor. Introducing a meaningful penalty for failure to field a competitive side would be the best way to ensure high playing standards. Some of the weaker franchises are often not as good as the top amateur sides that compete in the latter stages of the Ontario Cup and that's something that needs to change if the reality is ever going to match the rhetoric where the CSL is concerned.

There will never be promotion and relegation in the CSL because of the equity ownership, if you look back at the final standings of the 2010 season, all the bottom 3 teams St. Catharines Wolves, London City and North York Astros would have been relegated, or at least the bottom 2, all 3 teams where not at D3 standard and the quality of their teams was terrible to say the least, and all 3 teams have struggled for the past 4-5 years.

With additional teams coming into the league this now puts extra pressure on the franchises/teams I have just mentioned, and the owners of these franchises know they are the weak teams of the league therefore will protect themselves from relegation by writing their own rules to protect their "equity"

Can see where you are coming from but another way of looking at things would be to rephrase your first sentence to start ...There will never be promotion and relegation in the CSL for as long as it continues to be under the control of the equity ownership... Soccer associations control which leagues get elite sanctioning and on what basis so that control isn't necessarily carved in stone for all eternity, particularly if the current move to reform the governance of the CSA actually leads to a positive conclusion (fingers crossed on that).

Archived