FIFA Ballon d'Or 2010

The Ref

Date is January 10, 2011. Received email from FIFA confirming on-line live broadcast.

"We can confirm that the Press conferences and the show will be live streamed on FIFA.com.

The Press Conferences from 14.00 and the show from 19.00."

Times presumed are Zurich times.

Well, it's simple, if you are the captain of American Samoa, you probably did not see too much football and you pick the best player on the winning team. And to complete it, take the guy who won last year. If i remember well, the captains and managers vote for the award. Not all of those people follow the football leagues all over the world.

He was the best player at the World Cup and according to FIFA in a World Cup year the best player of the year means you played well for 7 games in the summer. The rest is irrelevant.

But was Iniesta even the best player at the World Cup? Forlan won the golden ball. Sneijder the silver and David Villa the bronze.

Yes, Iniesta does not deserve it. He is not the best in the world, not the best on Barça, was not the best for Spain. He is damn good, extraordinary, but a role player. He is often a bit out of games, he coasts, he does not defend tenaciously, he misses a lot of passes as well as making them. Too often his is afraid to shoot, of all things.

Iniesta has a great character, he is amazingly humble, and has a great heart, a role model for sure. I would put him in the top echelon of world players, no doubt. So it is not about knocking him.

He does not have the permament presence of a Xavi, who is the most consistent and intelligent mid in the world. Since Spain won the WC, Xavi deserves the credit more than any other player. If Villa had scored vs. Germany or in the final, it could have been different, maybe 2 goals more and he would have been player of the tournament. But he didn't.

Barça fans agree I think in polls with around 65% that Xavi deserves it over the other two.

Beyond team results, the absolutely best players in the world are Messi and Cristiano, both are out of this world. But you have to win, take your team to victory, to get recognized for your talent, and both have work to do with their national sides. If Messi goes to the Copa America and Barça wins anything more than Madrid (a league vs no title, a champions vs. a league), he will win it next year for sure. Because he is tops.

But was Iniesta even the best player at the World Cup? Forlan won the golden ball. Sneijder the silver and David Villa the bronze.

I honestly think the fact Iniesta wasn't on the top 3 was a terrible decision, as was Forlan winning the Golden Ball IMO. Anyways we'll see what happens, my guess is with Unnamed Trialist, that Xavi will win it, probably not deservedly though

All rumours for months and reports this weekend say it will go to Iniesta.

Re voting, I think it is a combo of the France Football journalists, some 30-40 in the world, and the old Fifa system where national team captains and coaches vote. I am not sure how the vote was compensated, if the journalist votes were just added to the others, that woudl be odd though, as they only represent a fifth of the FIFA votes.

But the result has been in for over a month from what I understand, it was in by early December I think.

The Gazzetto said it was Iniesta from the start, now all papers are rumouring the same.

I used to like the Gala much better when it was just FIFA. Definitely don't like this mix with France, too impersonal and matter of factly. No warmth to it.

Although the Ballon d'Or had a more legit winners list IIRC.

BTW, if we still had 2 separate awards in 2010 Sneijder would have won the Ballon d'Or (voted by journalists) and Messi the FIFA WPOTY. Both votes were a bit ridiculous though as Messi didn't even feature in the top 3 in the journalist vote (*eyeroll*) while Sneijder didn't make the top 3 of the vote by national teams.

• 3 months later...

Archived