SuperDraft

Strider

Omar Salgado goes first to Vancouver. How often does a seventeen year old have both the USA and Mexican NTs wanting him? No way do they wait because he will be gone long before 8th when we pick again. Of all the positions forwards are what the Caps need the most and having a opportunity to get someone of this quality doesn't come along very often. Yes all the others are good players but they have had 4 years more time to develop than Salgado! He is already competitive (even SBI has him going 4th) with the others. So he will develop more and how many of the others will? I would bet that the rest are 90% as good as they are going to be.

Salgado has huge upside and fits with the Caps drive for building a young team that will be the mainstays for the Caps for half a decade.

The others are good but Salgado has potential to be amazing and great. Something the others don't have. It is worth taking a shot.

I reckon that the 'Caps are going for Salgado, as well, with the 1st pick. I've also suspected that the trade for TFC's pick at number 8 was done with the intention of taking Arnoux, in case they are not able to work out getting him without going through the draft. Many are saying that he's an early pick in this draft, but with him having a valid contract with the 'Caps (even if it's not valid for play in MLS) for two years, would another team take the risk of burning a 1st round pick on a player that may not be able to play with them? I have no basis for either of these positions beyond a hunch, but that's how I see it.

I've also suspected that the trade for TFC's pick at number 8 was done with the intention of taking Arnoux, in case they are not able to work out getting him without going through the draft. Many are saying that he's an early pick in this draft, but with him having a valid contract with the 'Caps (even if it's not valid for play in MLS) for two years, would another team take the risk of burning a 1st round pick on a player that may not be able to play with them?

If he is draft eligible, the Caps should blow their 4th round pick on Arnoux, otherwise let anyone who drafts him make us an offer.

ESPN will be broadcasting the first round. Will GolTV be picking this up? I did not see it on their schedule.

Will GolTV be picking this up? Yes

In today's first combine, the only team that impressed me was Team Adipure. Eddie Ababio (a converted striker) seemed to be a leading outlet, who wasn't afraid to go ahead and was something of a man among boys.

Brayan Martinez came out of nowhere. He's all left-foot, but was consistently open and worked well in traffic. Supposedly he's lazy, but impressed today.

The big Canadian Curtis Ushedo looked solid in the back.

John Rooney had a nice free kick. Jeb Brovsky looked solid. Hector Jimenez played well as a second half-substitution.

Joe Willis didn't hurt himself in net for Team AdiPower. Michael Tetteh showed his speed, but couldn't do much with it.

Jaoa Plata, a bit of a sparkplug in the mold of Cornelius Stewart scores the opening goal for AdiZero. JT Murray attempts a long distance shot on goal. Josh Ford somehow made a goal line save & had a stellar save off CJ Sapong. Steven Perry had an attempted chip miss it's mark. Charlie Campbell had a shot deflected. Colin Givens was effective on defense for AdiZero.

For Jabulani, Justin Meram was able to turn and shoot a couple of times. Bilal Duckett battled Levi Houapeu into ineffectiveness. Bobby Warshaw headed a ball away that was headed for the net. Kofi Sarkodie assisted on Konrad Warzycha's goal. I was thinking Sarkodie should be converted to midfield in MLS, due to his penchant for running forward, until he made a great play crossing the field to block an attempt on goal. Bobby Warshaw, who his coach, Bret Simon said was the hardest working player he has ever coached battled Bruin and Adlerd off the ball. Victor Estupiñán puts a shot just wide and tries to work some magic with Paolo Cardozo. Might Warshaw be this year's Tim Ream and Estupiñán this year's Freddy Montero?

Jubulani 2 AdiZero 1

John Rooney (2-way midfielder) misses on two Hector Jimenez feeds. And Jimenez has a chance on a nice back pass by King, the Australian. Dustin Mccarty (Dax' little brother) showing some defense. Bobby Warshaw shows good technique in corner to keep a ball in play. Curtis Ushedo cut off cross from Kofi Sarkodie. Eliason misses two headers from Josue Soto. Kofi Sarkodie somehow kept a cross field pass in play, showing his great speed. Efrain Burgos free kick takes a poor low deflection late. Bryan Merdith looks solid in goal for Jabulani. Jalil Anibaba cuts off Victor Estupiñan from a Paolo Cardozo feed. Colin Givens tweaks his left foot flexer. Davis Paul point blank shot straight at Bryan Meredith. Davis Paul from distance takes a decent strike. Kofi Sarkodie has nice take away from a slow Davis Paul Kofi Sarkodie showing his poor left foot just before the half

John Rooooooooooooney goal!

Jason Herrick goal.

Joe Willis caught flat-footed on Jason Herrick goal. Soto left-footed curl off cross bar. Demitrius Omphroy gets a nice feed from Brayan Martinez. Box to Box midfielder John Rooney out on a poor challenge by John Okafor. Ushedo using size well at the back. Konrad Warzycha heads Justin Meram corner just over the bar. Hector Jimenez just misses wide left. Bobby Warshaw low header off the left post. Jeb Brovsky shows he can use both feet. Eddie Ababio is looking good again today.

The players of this match, imo were John Rooney for Adipure and Kofi Sarkodie for Jabulani. The internationals for Jabulani were disappointing.

Goal Cole Grossman.

18-year old Joao Plata PK goal (foul on Bruin), another interception put just wide by Plata. Second goal by Joao Plata (quicker than Steve Zakuani) with an assist by Will Bruin.

Stephen McCarthy sets Will Bruin in for a corner. Josh Ford wins two late foot races with JC Banks.

Corey Hertzog show speed going around Josh Ford at a sharp angle for a goal.

Herztzog with another nice goal on a give and go with Ryan Kinne. He's lethal in the box.

Anthony Ampaipitakwong shoots wide left. Tommy Drake misses nice feed from Marlon Ganchozo. Ernesto Carranza has a nice ball to Indy Smith in the box. Poor shot of a set play free kick by Michael Tetteh. DivII Steven Beattie nice work in traffic. Jimmy Maurer saves Cole Grossman free kick. Corey Hertzog has a nice back kick on a throw in.

Players of the match were the brace scorers Joao Plata and Corey Hertzog.

AdiZero 3-2

Ushedo picked up a knock and was subbed out of today's game before coming back in. His team hasn't given up a goal in their 2 games so that should reflect well on a CB I guess. His CB partner, Jalil Anibaba of UNC seems to be getting most of the credit though.

Any clue how Ushedo is rated by others?

Im not sure if he's standing out or are you just mentioning him because hes a canuck? I know I would hahah

Simon Borg has him rated as a top 8, which would be to Vancouver, but Ives Galarcep wrote, "if Ushedo is drafted that high I'll wear his jersey. Ushedo is slow and has bad feet. NO WAY he is a first round pick." In the AdiPure v AdiZero match Jason Saghini said he was one of the top 3 Centrebacks available.

Though I didn't see him get beat and he's got great size for a potential CB.

There's an interview at Red Nation.

Jabulani 2 AdiPower 1

For Jabulani CJ Sapong goal and a diagonal shot that goes wide left; Alex Caskey scores and has another decent shot. Steven Beattie shoots from distance. Kofi Sarkodie's not playing. Good ball from Justin Meram to Victor Estupiñán GK Joe Willis is there for the tackle, Konrad Warzycha and Justin Meram feeds Victor Estupiñán battles nicely in the box to get a shot away and also has a free kick from distance on goal and runs onto a ball in the left corner, GK Bryan Meredith finds himself in no man's land. Bobby Warshaw wins a battle in midfield. Okifor defends nicely against Tetteh.

Michael Tetteh along the goal line to Ryan Kinne for the AdiPower goal, Colin Givens has an interception for AdiPower. Anthony Ampaipitakwong didn't play today, for whatever reason, maybe he didn't want his stock to fall any farther? or knee stiffness? Divll Steven Beattie has a nice save on the touch line showing his speed, feeding Michael Tetteh. Corey Hertzhog's one-time shot on goal goes for a throw-in! and Hertzog has another good chance at the end-line. Supola finds Corey Hertzhog, but it's a high header in the box (his house) Konrad Warzycha feeds up a gift, but missed.

e AdiPower goal, Colin Givens has an interception for AdiPower.

Bobby Warshaw or Victor Estupiñán man of the match for Jabulani

CJ Sapong for AdiPower

Is Darlington Nagbe going Steve Francis on Vancouver? or is there some sort of tampering going on in Portland?

Michael Farfan and Joao Plata nice combination & Jeb (Boobs) Brovsky takes ball from Michael Farfan in corner for a goal kick & nice cross into the box;; free kick to Amani Walker over bar; Indy Smith take away in the back; Davis Paul nice corner, but no service at the back of the post; Hector Jimenez hits left post and late on rebound; Matheus Braga scissor kick goes backward;

Jalil Alibaba nice heel to John Rooney. John Rooney gets away from Andy Adlard near his own box, Matthew Eliason header wide on a nice feed from John Rooney; Josue Soto cross headed low; bruin disappointing late header; Jimmy Maurer spectacular save on Will Bruin with left leg; Jeff Attinella in for Jimmy Maurer in the 2nd half, perhaps on the Bruin shot. Greg King showing his lack of pace on Micheal Farfan; Charlie Campbell good should tackle on Boobs. Lebogang Pila gets a couple of shots away; Davis Paul, crosses net. Jason Herrick sets up Brayan Martinez for a gimme (refuses to use right foot), but Indy Smith saves it on the line; Eddie Ababio showing his converted striker ability at goal edge;Curtis Ushedo holds off Steve Perry. AdiPure's big D of Ababio, Alibaba and Ushedo controlling AdiZeroa and Joao Plata.

0-0

Jalil Alibaba and Jeb Brovsky men of the match.

Interesting discussion after the match on who they believe should be the top 10 selections. Perry Kitchen was unamimous at #1; at #8 they mention Michael Farfan, AJ Soares and Curtis Ushedo.

"From what I hear Nagbe would rather not go to Vancouver because of his immigration status in the United States, and how a move to Canada could impact that, but I haven't heard of him actually refusing to go there. That seems a bit severe and might be some posturing by the Portland folks."

Ives Galarcep

Archived