Who should return home

masster

Article on the MLS site lists both Rob Friend and Eddy Sidra as 2 out of 5 players that should come back from Europe and play in MLS. Stalteri and Hirschfeld are listed at the end as well. I don't know who the writer is (Matthew Doyle) but I doubt he has ever seen Sidra play. It sounds like he just stole the write up from some of the comments on this board. I don't think it is possible to judge whether he is MLS level based on 1 performance.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/armchair-analyst-5-who-should-return-home

Not much research there. He talks about Eddie Sidra as if he is a grizzled Bundesliga 1 & 2 vet. Now I was quite impressed by Sidra's appearance with our nats but that doesn't change the fact that he had ZERO (that is ZERO) appearances with the full Energie Cottbus side during his tenure there.

Not much research there. He talks about Eddie Sidra as if he is a grizzled Bundesliga 1 & 2 vet. Now I was quite impressed by Sidra's appearance with our nats but that doesn't change the fact that he had ZERO (that is ZERO) appearances with the full Energie Cottbus side during his tenure there.

Honestly who writes these? You would think writing an article like that would be a pretty basic task for anyone with even a little knowledge but I guess thats not required

I'm wondering if it is because the Crew has already talked to Sidra about playing for them.

I'm like Ed, in that while I was impressed by his cup of coffee with the MNT, I'm not sure we should be talking as if he's the proven goods yet. Would he walk on to the Whitecaps for example? Many would doubt that, especially given the combination of experience and the young guns they are lining up out west. However, I get the feeling that someone in MLS is sniffing around Sidra, and vice versa.

article aside (I agree he's a bizarre inclusion for that decent a list), anyone got a clue what he's looking for salary wise? Cause overrated or not, with a decent trial (assuming), you'd think he should be able to get a minimum contract with a few MLS teams (especially a new team, plus there's extra roster spots this year).

The article mentions that Friend would be a perfect fit for Toronto. After Friend graduated from UCSB, he was drafted by Chicago, I believe in the 4th round. Btw, my understanding is that he would have gone much higher in the draft had it not been that the MLS clubs knew who would forgo the MLS route and test the European market. So, the question is, does Chicago still own the rights to Friend or would he be a free agent?

I do not want to see the MLS become a haven for those who are on the downside of their careers. I would much rather see younger talent making their move and mark on the game. I know that we will not be getting anyone in their prime of huge quality but I still would rather see a bunch of hungry young players. I know for marketing purposes having a Beckham, Henry or Ronaldinho (if he does go to LA) is a huge advantage but I like seeing the Fredy Montero types. Hopefully some will become DP level here in MLS which will bring more in.

The article mentions that Friend would be a perfect fit for Toronto. After Friend graduated from UCSB, he was drafted by Chicago, I believe in the 4th round. Btw, my understanding is that he would have gone much higher in the draft had it not been that the MLS clubs knew who would forgo the MLS route and test the European market. So, the question is, does Chicago still own the rights to Friend or would he be a free agent?

As far as I know, draft rights expire after two years.

Archived