Encouraging words

Seattle Sounders GM Adrian Hanauer had this to say about the CCL:

"To me and the organization, its huge. I'm a huge fan of this tournament. I think that it is our opportunity as a league to showcase ourselves regionally and internationally. We as an organization feel like we're giving it the right amount of respect and attention. I would hope that our partners in the league do the same. I think we as a league can do more to continue to promote the tournament and make it an important part of the soccer calendar. Just to give an example of that, if we as a league decide the CONCACAF Champions League is important and we're playing eight extra games jammed into the middle of the summer, then perhaps the Champions League teams in MLS need some sort of support league-wide, whether that means cap space, allocation money, roster space. There are some things that our league can do to show that it's important to us. I sit on the competition committee, those are just discussions that are ongoing. I hope to be able to push that as we move forward here. It may not ever help us but I think it's important for the league."

source: Seattle Times blog

Let's hope he can convince hiw fellow GMs and then perhaps the CCL will get the attention it deserves soon enough.

Postponements to when? The schedule is already so full that TFC are playing on 3 international days in September and October. I'm far more worried about the possibility of having de Guzman, De Rosario, Cann, and Attakora all missing for the away games in Chicago and Dallas. Not sure anyone else would be called up though ...

I don't expect clubs in the CCL to receive a higher salary cap or to be allowed to have a larger squad size, but I do expect them to get some fixture relief (postponements)

And here I am of the exact opposite view.

Incredibly difficult resheduling fixtures as nfitz posted, and a salary cap bump for qualified teams not only has a practicle use in its ability to improve squad depth but also becomes a carrot in promoting the US Open Cup. Especially if the salary bump was significant and scaled over a couple of years (say $500K allocation for the year you qualify and $250k allocation the next season).

Yeah, you risk creating a situation where the rich get richer but I'm more and more getting the feeling that the MLS salary cap is more of a guide line than a hard fast rule. Seems like there is a bit of money getting thrown around lately.

Here's my alternative. It's definitely not conventional, but here goes. Since MLS effectively owns all the contracts in the league (not including DPs), maybe MLS teams can allow non-CCL teams to loan players to CCL teams. The loan would be such that the loaned player would play with the loanee for the remainder of the year, and return to the originating team at season's end.

Here's my alternative. It's definitely not conventional, but here goes. Since MLS effectively owns all the contracts in the league (not including DPs), maybe MLS teams can allow non-CCL teams to loan players to CCL teams. The loan would be such that the loaned player would play with the loanee for the remainder of the year, and return to the originating team at season's end.

I'd like to respectfully disagree. One of the many reasons to like the CCL (and the US Open Cup for this matter) is the sense of autonomy it brings to the clubs. Juventus are still Juventus whether they are in Serie A or in Europe or in the Coppa Italia. I imagine you mean having easier loan regulations for fringe players, which is fine, but I would hate to think of Seattle as being an "MLS All-Star team" for this CLUB competition. Eventually, MLS will have to allow some clubs more room to try and become continental powerhouses, while others evolve towards financial stability at a lower level.

All that aside, if possible CCL dates should be kept clear of fixtures so that these matches can be promoted as a huge television events. You want to tell someone who watches Barcelona v Arsenal, "hey, we have the same thing. It's smaller, but LA (or New York, or Seattle, or Toronto) will be playing the best team in Mexico in the Azteca next week. It's a big deal."

I'd like to respectfully disagree. One of the many reasons to like the CCL (and the US Open Cup for this matter) is the sense of autonomy it brings to the clubs. Juventus are still Juventus whether they are in Serie A or in Europe or in the Coppa Italia. I imagine you mean having easier loan regulations for fringe players, which is fine, but I would hate to think of Seattle as being an "MLS All-Star team" for this CLUB competition. Eventually, MLS will have to allow some clubs more room to try and become continental powerhouses, while others evolve towards financial stability at a lower level.

All that aside, if possible CCL dates should be kept clear of fixtures so that these matches can be promoted as a huge television events. You want to tell someone who watches Barcelona v Arsenal, "hey, we have the same thing. It's smaller, but LA (or New York, or Seattle, or Toronto) will be playing the best team in Mexico in the Azteca next week. It's a big deal."

I left out some details in my plan. The loaned player would play on the loanee team for all competitions - dometic and cups. It would be no different than in European leagues where teams loan players out for the season.

I don't imagine teams would want to give up prime players on their roster because they would want to do well in their domestic competitions (that's the hope anyway), so by default, it would be fringe players.

Archived