Where in the World is Joey Saputo?

Seb of Mtl

Last year this time, many IMFC players were hit with the injury bug much like this year but it didnt not stop JS from making public appearances and calling out the team. This year, joey cannot be found and is not even giving his soccer ops management a vote of confidence. I believe the fan base deserves to hear from the owner/president in this hard times and it can also help the confidence of the players to know that they are in good hands. The second floor of SS appears to be a big black hole of soccer knowledge and nobody is trying to solve that. one would think that after $50million investment, JS would be more proactive. so that said, Joey bro! where ru?

Last year this time, many IMFC players were hit with the injury bug much like this year but it didnt not stop JS from making public appearances and calling out the team. This year, joey cannot be found and is not even giving his soccer ops management a vote of confidence. I believe the fan base deserves to hear from the owner/president in this hard times and it can also help the confidence of the players to know that they are in good hands. The second floor of SS appears to be a big black hole of soccer knowledge and nobody is trying to solve that. one would think that after $50million investment, JS would be more proactive. so that said, Joey bro! where ru?

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Joey go Postal. It seemed to work last year, when he lost it in Miami.

I know the point is for him to shake things up, and not actually where he is, but he was in NYC for meetings with the USSF about D2 soccer, and prior to that, he was visiting a few MLS teams (LAG, SS and TFC, if I recall).

That being said, after yesterday's game, I think MDS's "we were unlucky not to win" line works at least this time.

Why would you expect the club owner to make constant public appearances?

i am of the opinion that this is a terrible slump for team that is suppose to be stacked so i believe the owner needs to address the issues and show the fans that he is reacting to whats happening on the field.

It's not up to the owner to do anything in public. It's up to NDS to make sure that MDS is doing his job, and if the latter is not, to replace him. Likewise it's up to JS to ensure NDS is doing his job, and if the latter is not, to replace him.

If JS makes a public appearance to state that everything is okay, then he's stealing NDS' thunder... and doing his job for him. Let NDS play that role, or fire and replace him. Saputo, Kerfoot, and MLSE's senior brass should only be involved in hiring and firing.

Saputo, Kerfoot, and MLSE's senior brass should only be involved in hiring and firing.
But in NDS' case, Joey's job is limited to the former, the latter not being a part of his job IYKWIM. Because of that, NDS has no authority at all to right the ship because players know he's never considered a part of the reason why the ship is sinking down deep. Also, NDS doesn't act like he respects the players, HIS players, hence another reason why he has no authority. So under this tandem team at management, only Joey can settle things down. Let's say I agree with what you said, but the Impact are the exception to the rule because you know, NDS is to Joey something like a son who does his fair share of stupid actions and acts like a douchebag but who you always forgive whatever he does because he's like the 8th wonder of the world to you. But in fact, NDS is a spoiled brat, nothing more.

But in NDS' case, Joey's job is limited to the former, the latter not being a part of his job IYKWIM. Because of that, NDS has no authority at all to right the ship because players know he's never considered a part of the reason why the ship is sinking down deep. Also, NDS doesn't act like he respects the players, HIS players, hence another reason why he has no authority. So under this tandem team at management, only Joey can settle things down. Let's say I agree with what you said, but the Impact are the exception to the rule because you know, NDS is to Joey something like a son who does his fair share of stupid actions and acts like a douchebag but who you always forgive whatever he does because he's like the 8th wonder of the world to you. But in fact, NDS is a spoiled brat, nothing more.

Wow... Yet the man has been involved in all three of the Club's Championships (Player, Coach, and TD).

Whats the difference between Bobby Lenarduzzi and NDS? I'm just curious, as it seems that Bobby has also been much-maligned.

Wow... Yet the man has been involved in all three of the Club's Championships (Player, Coach, and TD).

Whats the difference between Bobby Lenarduzzi and NDS? I'm just curious, as it seems that Bobby has also been much-maligned.

In 17 seasons we have only won 3 championships. Considering that budget wise we were the Manchester United of the USL, that is far too few. With competent coaches and managers we should have won 2 or 3 times as many championships.

In 17 seasons we have only won 3 championships. Considering that budget wise we were the Manchester United of the USL, that is far too few. With competent coaches and managers we should have won 2 or 3 times as many championships.

The same could be said of Vancouver, and yet fewer people seem to want to throw Bubbaduzzi under the bus.

The same could be said of Vancouver, and yet fewer people seem to want to throw Bubbaduzzi under the bus.

1) It is only since Kerfoot took over that Vancouver has had the same financial resources as Montreal

2) Lenarduzzi is the president of the Caps not coach or technical director

I liked him as a player, at that time he was more dedicated to the TEAM. He was a great captain IMO. But since he took over as coach and then as technical director, things are getting worse in his case as years go by.

Remember how his stint as coach finished ? He couldn't control himself, yet he got the TD job. Is that how you're supposed to react with someone who's high both on emotions and himself at the same time, which is a deadly combination most of the time ? How can't you say he was the object of preferential treatment ? That by itself can be sufficient to lose authority over the team.

While JL also was part of the Impact's past, he wasn't offered the same treatment after his stint, he was just kicked out of town.

I liked him as a player, at that time he was more dedicated to the TEAM. He was a great captain IMO. But since he took over as coach and then as technical director, things are getting worse in his case as years go by.

Remember how his stint as coach finished ? He couldn't control himself, yet he got the TD job. Is that how you're supposed to react with someone who's high both on emotions and himself at the same time, which is a deadly combination most of the time ? How can't you say he was the object of preferential treatment ? That by itself can be sufficient to lose authority over the team.

While JL also was part of the Impact's past, he wasn't offered the same treatment after his stint, he was just kicked out of town.

About Limo, Don't get me wrong I loved the intensity that the guy brought, but you have to admit that after the fiasco in Santos Laguna, he would have been fired in any league in the world. Giving up an insurmountable lead with minutes to go, is the death sentence for any coach.

That being said, I would bring him back in a second. The guy is authentic, and is gonna fight you no matter what the stakes are.

1) It is only since Kerfoot took over that Vancouver has had the same financial resources as Montreal

2) Lenarduzzi is the president of the Caps not coach or technical director

I understand that their current positions are not the same, but the roles that they've played with their respective orginizations are very similar. (played, coached, managed).

The Impact also went through some tough times, with the whole Ionian fiasco, and even missed a season. Not to mention that they're have been some other good orginizations in Portland, Rod****ster, Seattle that were competitive year in and year out. Creating a dynasty in that league was not an easy thing to do.

I have to agree that for MLS, some tough decisions must be made, and NDS has got to go. Might he be the club's next president?

A lot of the hate with NDS has to do with the fact that he was unqualified as coach and, despite winning in his first year, stayed on for much too long after playoff flops in 2005, 2006 and 2007. He was then "promoted" instead of fired in 2008, to TD while Limo got the coaching gig.

As coach/TD, and thus in charge of personnel since 2004, the Impact have had a rotating door policy, bringing in high-profile USL players and having many public falling outs, when the player actually gets to play with the team (Jason McLaughling, anyone?). He has trouble filling the gaps (forward, left back), and antagonizes many players.

They read a statement from him this morning on Team 990 where he said among other things that the goals of the organization are more than just making the playoffs and also seemed to balme mostly the players. He spoke of many of the players having not lived up to their commitments and that they have to evaluate this going into 2012 but also 2011.

They read a statement from him this morning on Team 990 where he said among other things that the goals of the organization are more than just making the playoffs and also seemed to balme mostly the players. He spoke of many of the players having not lived up to their commitments and that they have to evaluate this going into 2012 but also 2011.
COMPLETE STATEMENT

English (Our Sports Central)

"Following the recent performances of the team, I wish to reiterate that Nick De Santis, Marc Dos Santos and the other members of the technical staff continue to have my vote of confidence and they will stay in their current functions. They have proved their skills in the last few years and we will continue to build the future of this club with them."

"The players, veterans as well as newcomers, are the only people responsible for the position of the team in the standings. They have not lived up to expectations so far this season. They have to look at themselves in the mirror and ask if they could have done more. Certain players have yet to convince us that they should be part of this club in Major League Soccer in 2012; as well as in 2011, as we will focus on our MLS preparation."

"With seven matches to play this season, making the playoffs is still possible, but to do so the players on this team will have to react and find solutions. I cannot accept the results thus far, as the standards set by the Montreal Impact are higher than simply just making the playoffs."

French (CKAC Sports)

"Suite aux récents insuccès de l'équipe, je tiens à mentionner que Nick De Santis, Marc Dos Santos et les autres membres du personnel technique ont mon entière confiance et demeureront en poste. Ils ont prouvé leurs compétences au cours des dernières années et nous allons continuer à bâtir l'avenir de ce club avec eux."

"Les joueurs, les vétérans comme les nouveaux-venus, sont les seuls responsables de la position actuelle de l'équipe au classement. Les joueurs n'ont pas répondu aux attentes jusqu'ici cette saison. Ils doivent se regarder dans le miroir et se demander s'ils auraient pu en faire davantage. Certains joueurs sont loin de nous avoir convaincus qu'ils méritent leur place au sein du club dans la Major League Soccer en 2012, de même qu'en 2011, alors qu'on préparera notre entrée en MLS."

"Avec encore sept matchs à jouer cette saison, une participation aux séries éliminatoires est toujours possible, mais pour y arriver, les joueurs de cette équipe devront réagir et trouver des solutions. Je n'accepte pas un tel rendement, car les objectifs de l'Impact de Montréal sont beaucoup plus élevés qu'une qualification aux séries."

-------------------

CKAC adds that Joey is supposed to meet the medias this afternoon following the team's training session to discuss about this statement.

The thing I don't like about this is normally, that kind of statement is the boss' kiss of death and means you're out sooner than later. But looking at how Saputo considers his team like his own blood, that statement probably means the opposite of what it's supposed to.

Most of the time I blame management people for being too much hard on coaches/GM and not enough on players. Like they say, it's easier done to fire one coach/GM than an entire team unfortunately. Damn, now that I blame the TD (and the coach too), Joey goes the other way round. Not that I don't blame the players as well but there were too much failures in recent times (especially the last 18 months as I agree with Grizzly in that the championship is more the result of a hot month than a great season as a whole) not to begin with the head of the organization, that is (this time full name displayed), NICK DE SANTIS.

It's like Saputo follows the CSA's way of running the business. You fail, you get promoted. You fail again yet you get a vote confidence. Go figure.

I told you so !

Oh, and when Joey says: "They have proved their skills in the last few years and we will continue to build the future of this club with them.", man, that's worrying stuff for sure... What he said about the players (not) being a part of MLS 2012 should be applied to NDS & MDS as well.

he blames the players and mostly the players that have been recently signed by the team but joey forgot to ask himself a very important question: WHO HIRED THOSE PLAYERS?!?!?!?!?!? that said, if he is that upset at the players who have been signed by the team, the person who Ok'ed their signing should be fired. i think this is the kiss of death to nds and for his own sake, maybe transferred to packing some provolone at the factory (a job which he is actually qualified for). I say bring in a new DT that will be able and qualified to make bridge between the USSF d-2 team and the mls team. They should keep MDS as coach and evaluate him under an actual qualified DT.

Another point worth discussing is the replacement of Di Pietroantionio vs. the hiring of Mauro Biello. I love MB and his contributions to soccer in Quebec and Canada deserves our respect but is he qualified to be assistant coach? and did MDS have a choice in hiring him? or was he forced to take him on board.

While I completely agree with the complaints about NDS as per player relations, letting players and coaches go prematurely, and the odd weird signing, our roster sports many players he has brought here than are excellent USL players. Between Billy, DeRoux, DiLo, Testo, Donatelli, Gerba I don't think that the problem is in WHO he hired. I think the problem has been HOW they are managed, on and off the pitch. To me the problem has been that we can see, from that one hot month last year, to the CCL run, to the game against Fiorentina, that these guys are capable of playing well when they are motivated and when our system happens to work well against the opposition on a given night. I find the team is losing because they give lackluster performances on the pitch, and because the system on most nights seems impotently incapable of penetrating the USL defenses. To me both these problems fall squarely on the shoulders of MDS and not the players, and also not NDS. MDS is a likable guy and I hate saying this, but he doesn't motivate and he doesn't craft great tactics.

Archived