Where in the World is Joey Saputo?

Seb of Mtl

Wow. Joey Saputo is one unhappy team president. He called out several players saying that Placentino only plays 30 good minutes every 12 to 15 games and that he is cheating the team and its fans!! He said that perhaps Pizzolitto should not have been chosen as captain as he is not leading. He also said that negotiations with Gerba were very difficult and that Gerba has done nothing to help the team so far not even registering a single point. He also pointed out Jordan and Testo for their lack of leadership and said DeRoux is just not trying. The only player he said is putting in an effort day in day out, game or practice, is Sebrango (who ironically is the oldest player on the team).

He said that last year he thought that the team would need about 5 new players once the team joins MLS. Now he is not even sure that 5 current players will make the MLS team.

The question is now, will this shake the team out of its lethargy or will the players just give up and start looking for jobs elsewhere?

He said that last year he thought that the team would need about 5 new players once the team joins MLS. Now he is not even sure that 5 current players will make the MLS team.

i remember JS saying the exact same thing last year! he totally lied; actually, he said that he would sign up 3 players for the mls.

Joey was really direct and if players are already complaining about how they are treated by management this speech will not help. I couldnt believe what i was hearing. I was all for a public appearance by JS but he was really mean to players but i can understand his frustrations especially with players like rocco and gerba. Anyways, the msg is out there and the players must deliver or they'll need to look for another team

i remember JS saying the exact same thing last year! he totally lied; actually, he said that he would sign up 3 players for the mls.

Anyone who knows anything about MLS or soccer in North America knows that adding 3 or 5 new players once they got to MLS would mean that the Impact wouldn't stand a chance in that league. JS said that at the time (as did NDS when the MLS team was announced) to sound like they were going to give preference to local players. In reality, they know MLS is one tough league and playing with the current crop of players wouldn't get them anywhere. Look at Toronto, they have like 5 Canadian players. I'm sure they will eventually increase that number but it will be a long, long time before even half the team is Canadian. Same thing for the Impact. They will develop a couple of young local players but will have to shop around for players from around the world to field any kind of competitive team once in MLS. I predict that maybe 3 players from the current crop will make the leap to MLS: Billy, Di Lorenzo and maybe Agouram.

Billy DiLo DeRoux could start, and maybe Gerba if he continues working hard like the last 6 games... give a chance to Agouram... Aboubou would be a good sub... other than that they shouldn't have too much trouble attracting European and MLS-based locals such as Occean, Bernier and Haineault (what's his contract situation?), and filling the rest in with largely the type of athletic and coachable NCAA products that littler the MLS. I'm not convinced Jordan is the man either given his age, and innability to even hit the center line with a clearing kick. Need a real #10 style creative midfielder DP to make it all work.

Billy ***** Haineault DeRoux

DiLo *DP* Bernier *****

Occean Gerba

Sorry, I don't see Gerba sticking around until 2012. I think he'll finish the year in Montreal but we won't see him in 2011. Too big a salary for too little results. Would love to see Occean, Bernier and Haineault in MLS with the Impact. Agree with you about Jordan (he'll be 37 in 2012). They'll have to find a good young keeper in the Frei mold or maybe promote one of the MI academy keepers as a backup. Not sure if Djekanovic will make the MLS cut. Personally, I think he won't.

I still think it will be 3 or 4 players from the current team but no more: Billy, Di Lorenzo, Agourram and maybe Donatelli. Really too bad Sebrango will be 39 in 2012 as he has always played hard and is a pure striker.

The Impact just signed another ex-Brest team mate of Billy's today: forward Anthony Le Gall. We'll see how he fits in.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to look back on this subject after Gerba's 9-goals-in-6-games streak, and LeGall looking like he can replace Donatelli tomorrow if necessary.

Also, I was one of the first to criticize Saputo for calling out the players while not acknowledging the part De Santis has (or hasn't) played in building a winning roster, and Dos Santos' suspect ability to adjust tactics... Shows what I know and why I'm typing messages on a forum, not working in the game professionally. Granted they could suddenly start losing again, but they have proven that the players they have on paper CAN be a, perhaps the, dominant roster in the NASL/USL. Perhaps all they needed was that kick in the ass by Joey after all. Gerba in particular has been a different player since the calling out.

Archived