The CONCACAF Champions League Still Has A Ways To Go

The CONCACAF Champions League Still Has A Ways To Go

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/the-concacaf-champions-league-still-has-a-ways-to-go/

Different results in Toronto and Los Angeles (both on the pitch and in the stands) bring into clear focus that the CONCACAF Champions League still has a ways to go before becoming a truly successful tournament.

Comments always welcome.

I guess I still don't get the average MLS fan. Last night was by far and away L.A's. most important match from now until the playoffs begin (since they're pretty much in the playoffs already). And nobody shows up to the stadium? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if more Galaxy fans will watch tonight's all-star mickey-mouse fest tonight on TV than watched last night's CCL match on TV.

I don't get it. This tournament offers an opportunity for recognition that the MLS regular season (not even the playoffs for that matter) simply cannot offer. Also any club that qualifies for the Club World Cup gets a guaranteed $1 million in their pocket even if they don't win a game.

I guess I still don't get the average MLS fan. Last night was by far and away L.A's. most important match from now until the playoffs begin (since they're pretty much in the playoffs already). And nobody shows up to the stadium? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if more Galaxy fans will watch tonight's all-star mickey-mouse fest tonight on TV than watched last night's CCL match on TV.

I don't get it. This tournament offers an opportunity for recognition that the MLS regular season (not even the playoffs for that matter) simply cannot offer. Also any club that qualifies for the Club World Cup gets a guaranteed $1 million in their pocket even if they don't win a game.

If it's not made in America they don't care, unless it's Walmart merchandise.

i think its progressing well in central america and in canada but the americans dont understand the concept of international play amongst clubs. Like richard says, americans only like stuff made in america and this is not seen in other pro sports league in north america.

It's not just the fans who don't take it seriously. Over the past two years I've read so many quotes including those from players like Shalrie Joseph and Santino Quaranta that are simply annoyed by having to take part in this. Even the players don't seem to care.

Overall I think the league needs to wake up and make the CCL a priority. The biggest key to the growth of the game in the States is massive the hispanic market, many of whom don't currently care about MLS. To get more of these fans they need to earn credibility. Doing well in CCL would be a big boost

It's not just the fans who don't take it seriously. Over the past two years I've read so many quotes including those from players like Shalrie Joseph and Santino Quaranta that are simply annoyed by having to take part in this. Even the players don't seem to care.

Overall I think the league needs to wake up and make the CCL a priority. The biggest key to the growth of the game in the States is massive the hispanic market, many of whom don't currently care about MLS. To get more of these fans they need to earn credibility. Doing well in CCL would be a big boost

Yeah, MLS sure doesn't seem to care either. They scheudle the Galaxy - Chicago match for a Sunday night just 2 days ahead of the second-leg between Puerto Rico and LA. Long flight for the Galaxy today (I presume) and they also lose about 3 hours in time-zone difference.

I wish CONCACAF would withdraw accreditation from the useless Superliga tournament which MLS seems to take more seriously than CCL. Honestly, MLS really has its head up its ass in regards to pretty much everything to do with international football whether club or national team.

I wish CONCACAF would withdraw accreditation from the useless Superliga tournament which MLS seems to take more seriously than CCL. Honestly, MLS really has its head up its ass in regards to pretty much everything to do with international football whether club or national team.

I think SuperLiga gets MLS more money though, so that won't happen. MLS is just doing what any sports league or indeed any business would do in that regard. It's just unfortunate that the competitions that generate more money (ie. friendlies and SuperLiga) are mickey-mouse in nature with no chance to grow into anything prestigous in the long-term.

I think SuperLiga gets MLS more money though, so that won't happen. MLS is just doing what any sports league or indeed any business would do in that regard. It's just unfortunate that the competitions that generate more money (ie. friendlies and SuperLiga) are mickey-mouse in nature with no chance to grow into anything prestigous in the long-term.

Sooo does CCL stand for CONCACAF Champions league?

It's going to need to take an MLS team to play in the World Club Cup for the rest of the league to see how big this tournament can be IMO. But I agree I just don't get how the MLS teams and players can discount this competition. I mean CONCACAF have even branded it properly... its the freaking Champions League, yes like the same one they have in Europe where the winner is usually considered to be the best team in World football.

Archived