Trying to crunch numbers on FC Edmonton

I took my wife and best friend to the FC Edmonton vs Portsmouth game at the Commenwealth Stadium, and I have been meaning to write this since Wednesday.

There were 8,792 people that ticketmaster rang through the gates. I do not know if FC Edmonton gave any of those tickets away as promotions to youth soccer or not, but I will assume that there were 1,500 people under the age of eighteen. I will not use them for this. This leaves me with 7,292 fully paying fans.

The three of us spent:

$16.50 on the LRT (Edmonton Transit)

$136 for tickets ($34 dollars a piece, $9 going towards ticketmaster fees)

$20 for a scarf for my wife

$26 on beer (4 Rickard's Red)

$10.50 two cheeseburgers

$4.75 sprite (my wife is pregnant)

total: $213.75

Now that price goes to four areas.

City of Edmonton, LRT, taxes

Commenwealth Stadium facilities

FC Edmonton

Ticketmaster

How much each of these groups make and what their cut percentages are I have no idea at all, But let me expand on what I can hypothetically assume.

I know that some poeople spent more than us and some people spent less, but if they spent what we spent then the total would be $519,555.00. That isn't very good. FC Edmonton flew in an EPL team for this.

I don't think that it was that much even. Let me try and break this down.

Let us say that 100 people bought scarves at $20 a piece.

$2,000

Let us say that 20 people bought jerseys at $65 a piece. (I want to buy one soon)

$1,300

Plus other misc. merch

$250

If we ignore those who don't drink for whatever reasons (faith, convictions, taste, insane, etc...), and pretend that all of the adult crowd had a single beer at $6.50 a pop.

$47,398

Everyone had to get inside by paying something. I am going to round this number down to the lowest ticket price of $34 ($25 advertised plus $9 bullsh!t Ticketmaster "service charges")

$247,928

I saw a lot of people eating, but I cannot guess at this very well, but I will average it out to $7.50 (beer is far more important!). Also this is the only time I am using the estimated 1,500 people under eighteen, so this will be the entire 8,792 fan base.

$65,940

That total is:

$364,816

I think our friendlies really should be other Canadian teams or MLS teams, because I cannot see this working at all.

Let us pretend for one moment that the Fath Group buys the land above west end Wal-Mart on Stony Plain Rd., and builds a twelve k stadium that sits as an oval with a partial roof not covering the field of play, but the stands. Have paid parking for a few thousand cars, and make deals with WEM bars such as Sherlock Holmes, and Hudsons for meal, one beer, game ticket, and bus ride to and from. Also other bars like Schanks. Same deal. Only have beer in the staduim that is local, and get a good partnership in that regard as well. Imagine choosing between Ally Kat, Wild Rose, Kohler, or even Brewsters tap. If they own the land, the stadium, the team, and the stadium is the right size for other concerts and events then I can see FC Edmonton turning a profit and not just sliding slowely down into a chapter 11. I know I am throwing a massive hail mary here, but I can dream it. Hell I will sell tickets door to door, and I am willing to right now! I do not want to see this club fail. Not one bit.

I mean the Fath Group could build their own stadium! ALL THE MONEY CAN STAY WITHIN THEIR UMBRELLA OF COMPANIES! Please close your eyes and imagine this with me. I don't really sing and chant, but I cheer with my wallet.

Didnt FCE go into this season knowing they'd shoulder losses? So getting 360,000 back is damned alright. Plus they'd make more(20 people buying jerseys out of a possible 8,792?)

To be honest I doubt it was even that. I would be floored if a team that has played five exhibition games (included the army Canada Day one), has sold more than a hundred jerseys.

There were a whack of Portsmouth jerseys at the game, but expect merch to pick up once the team gets more established. I can think of a few soccer stores and kiosks in Edmonton, but only United Cycle carries their merchendise. That is a start, but why not approach local, mainly soccer stores. Someday, hopefully, we can find them at jersey city next to Oiler, Oil King, Rush, and Eskimo goods. I stand by my number of twenty, unless folks were buying them and then putting then away in a backpack or messenger bag or purse.

They should've arranged deals with every chain distributor in town by now. The work ethic -- and foresight to see it's required -- just aren't there. I'd peg the club's survival as a race against losses. If they can get a stadium up by league year two, which seems unlikely, they might survive.

I

I know that some poeople spent more than us and some people spent less, but if they spent what we spent then the total would be $519,555.00. That isn't very good. FC Edmonton flew in an EPL team for this.

Yes, but that EPL team was Portsmouth. When it comes to soccer, leagues don't have any pull, only clubs do.

Yes, but that EPL team was Portsmouth. When it comes to soccer, leagues don't have any pull, only clubs do.

So would Portsmouth have given FC Edmonton a better price? Does that mean bigger teams cost more money? Would you go into more details for me, as I am pretty curious to know.

So would Portsmouth have given FC Edmonton a better price? Does that mean bigger teams cost more money? Would you go into more details for me, as I am pretty curious to know.

Yes, of course they do. Euros also take tours across North America to grow their brand and make money. For them, its not all about appearance fees. I'm guessing all FCE did was cover airfare and lodging, and maybe a pittance appearance fee. It not like it inconvenienced portsmouth to go get paid to play a friendly and expand their market.

Yes Portsmouth even if they were still an EPL club would be about as cheap an EPL team as you could get. No famous players, a small number of supporters for EPL standards and almost no international support, ie. Canadian and American fans who would pay a lot of money to see their club. However, you are forgetting that Portsmouth is no longer an EPL team and that alone probably cuts their appearance fee in half from what they could have demanded as a small EPL club. In other words, I think you are probably vastly overestimating the cost of bringing them in. Plus, they also played DCU a few days later who also would contribute to paying the travel costs. I also think your revenue figures are so speculative that there is not much point to trying to estimate what expenses and revenues were. I suspect they lost some money on this game but I doubt it was a huge amount.

Once again. That total does not issue a percentege amount. I do not not what FC Edmonton would get after stadium fees, taxes, ticketmaster dues, and other costs for an event such as that. But what they did make, what went to airfare, hotels, dinners, and other expensenses accrued from bringing in a European team?

Five hundred grand is a dismal number. You should look at fiscal numbers a single CFL game warrents. That is a very healthy league compared to what was happening to it in the nineties.

Once again. That total does not issue a percentege amount. I do not not what FC Edmonton would get after stadium fees, taxes, ticketmaster dues, and other costs for an event such as that. But what they did make, what went to airfare, hotels, dinners, and other expensenses accrued from bringing in a European team?

Five hundred grand is a dismal number. You should look at fiscal numbers a single CFL game warrents. That is a very healthy league compared to what was happening to it in the nineties.

Did you read other replies in this thread?

Yes, of course they do. Euros also take tours across North America to grow their brand and make money. For them, its not all about appearance fees. I'm guessing all FCE did was cover airfare and lodging, and maybe a pittance appearance fee. It not like it inconvenienced portsmouth to go get paid to play a friendly and expand their market.

FC Edmonton paid 1.2 million for the three games and only played two teams. Total attendance under 30,000. Mel Kowalchuk was the man in the eighties with baseball but since he left the Trappers it has been all downhill.

I took my wife and best friend to the FC Edmonton vs Portsmouth game at the Commenwealth Stadium, and I have been meaning to write this since Wednesday.

There were 8,792 people that ticketmaster rang through the gates. I do not know if FC Edmonton gave any of those tickets away as promotions to youth soccer or not, but I will assume that there were 1,500 people under the age of eighteen. I will not use them for this. This leaves me with 7,292 fully paying fans.

The three of us spent:

$16.50 on the LRT (Edmonton Transit)

$136 for tickets ($34 dollars a piece, $9 going towards ticketmaster fees)

$20 for a scarf for my wife

$26 on beer (4 Rickard's Red)

$10.50 two cheeseburgers

$4.75 sprite (my wife is pregnant)

total: $213.75

Now that price goes to four areas.

City of Edmonton, LRT, taxes

Commenwealth Stadium facilities

FC Edmonton

Ticketmaster

How much each of these groups make and what their cut percentages are I have no idea at all, But let me expand on what I can hypothetically assume.

I don't think that it was that much even. Let me try and break this down.

Let us say that 100 people bought scarves at $20 a piece.

$2,000

Let us say that 20 people bought jerseys at $65 a piece. (I want to buy one soon)

$1,300

Plus other misc. merch

$250

If we ignore those who don't drink for whatever reasons (faith, convictions, taste, insane, etc...), and pretend that all of the adult crowd had a single beer at $6.50 a pop.

$47,398

Everyone had to get inside by paying something. I am going to round this number down to the lowest ticket price of $34 ($25 advertised plus $9 bullsh!t Ticketmaster "service charges")

$247,928

I saw a lot of people eating, but I cannot guess at this very well, but I will average it out to $7.50 (beer is far more important!). Also this is the only time I am using the estimated 1,500 people under eighteen, so this will be the entire 8,792 fan base.

$65,940

That total is:

$364,816

I think our friendlies really should be other Canadian teams or MLS teams, because I cannot see this working at all.

Let us pretend for one moment that the Fath Group buys the land above west end Wal-Mart on Stony Plain Rd., and builds a twelve k stadium that sits as an oval with a partial roof not covering the field of play, but the stands. Have paid parking for a few thousand cars, and make deals with WEM bars such as Sherlock Holmes, and Hudsons for meal, one beer, game ticket, and bus ride to and from. Also other bars like Schanks. Same deal. Only have beer in the staduim that is local, and get a good partnership in that regard as well. Imagine choosing between Ally Kat, Wild Rose, Kohler, or even Brewsters tap. If they own the land, the stadium, the team, and the stadium is the right size for other concerts and events then I can see FC Edmonton turning a profit and not just sliding slowely down into a chapter 11. I know I am throwing a massive hail mary here, but I can dream it. Hell I will sell tickets door to door, and I am willing to right now! I do not want to see this club fail. Not one bit.

I mean the Fath Group could build their own stadium! ALL THE MONEY CAN STAY WITHIN THEIR UMBRELLA OF COMPANIES! Please close your eyes and imagine this with me. I don't really sing and chant, but I cheer with my wallet.

They will not build a stadium without city money. Katz and the Oilers will have it all locked up for the next 25 years.

^ Best schmoose the U of A into replacing their field turf with that magic removable line stuff at the commonwealth then. Oh and concrete over that grass banking with some terracing while your at it. We dont need seats, who wants to sit down anyway?

JLoome. Noted your comment on Getting shirts into shops. UC are a local, well known outfit. But I stress local. Probably got 'dealed in' in that way local business men do at one of them there local functions, and have the shirts in on a sale or return basis, the same with the ticket sales. In short the deal is between proprietors. I doubt the local Sport check manager at the City Centre Mall has the authority to hold a couple of Hundred Umbero Shirts in stock, without the blessing of Head office. I would note that the only soccer licenced soccer gear I have seen in there is all Wolrd Cup Addidas Stuff. And that ain't hung around for long.

However, does anyone know if the EDSA soccer centres have the Kit on display, or has ASA banned them from mentioning the club in a 'They who must not be named' Harry Potter kind of way?

^ Best schmoose the U of A into replacing their field turf with that magic removable line stuff at the commonwealth then. Oh and concrete over that grass banking with some terracing while your at it. We dont need seats, who wants to sit down anyway?

JLoome. Noted your comment on Getting shirts into shops. UC are a local, well known outfit. But I stress local. Probably got 'dealed in' in that way local business men do at one of them there local functions, and have the shirts in on a sale or return basis, the same with the ticket sales. In short the deal is between proprietors. I doubt the local Sport check manager at the City Centre Mall has the authority to hold a couple of Hundred Umbero Shirts in stock, without the blessing of Head office. I would note that the only soccer licenced soccer gear I have seen in there is all Wolrd Cup Addidas Stuff. And that ain't hung around for long.

However, does anyone know if the EDSA soccer centres have the Kit on display, or has ASA banned them from mentioning the club in a 'They who must not be named' Harry Potter kind of way?

The point is, they should have arranged this two months before the exhibition games even happened. The first thing people want is kit.

And even if they can't get in some chain stores (which shouldn't have been at all difficult) , the reality is that there are at least three shops in Edmonton that specialize in soccer shirt sales! One in WEM, one on Calgar Trail, one on 97 Street!

There are a lot of places they could be selling. But again, that to me is indicative of a general lack of understanding of the work level and impetus required to make this successful.

I'll have to check what the Faths are thinking right now through a friend at work that spoke with Dave very recently. I think forever's estimate of the number of kids was a bit low. It seemed like that was all there was in our section and they weren't watching the game much - a constant stream of traffic up and down the stairs getting soft drinks, candy etc. My son and I were timing it off and on and there was never more than 10 seconds gone by without someone blocking our view of the field. It was a little annoying to say the least and wouldn't be tolerated in any other sport or in any footballing nation.

The point is, they should have arranged this two months before the exhibition games even happened. The first thing people want is kit.

And even if they can't get in some chain stores (which shouldn't have been at all difficult) , the reality is that there are at least three shops in Edmonton that specialize in soccer shirt sales! One in WEM, one on Calgar Trail, one on 97 Street!

There are a lot of places they could be selling. But again, that to me is indicative of a general lack of understanding of the work level and impetus required to make this successful.

Duly noted on the small shops, although my experience of them is again if they haven't seen the merchandise on TSN, Fox World Canada or in the MLS, they seem reluctant to carry it. Havent seen any current Whitecap of Impact shirts in any Edmonton sports stores. Unless I'm looking in the wrong ones. Had to buy my Leeds united shirt online from the UK. (actually at $50 plus p+p for an English leauge shirt, quite a bargain ;))

I did venture into one store in the west End a few months back (won't name names-as i've forgoten it ) but safe to say as a Brit in a soccer shop, I felt completley out of place. I was looking to buy keeps gloves for my son and met with some techno-bable about needing additional spines in the finger backs. Because the ball pushes heavily on the fingers. Now I know a little bit about goalkeeping. I carry a seven stitch scar on the top lip, a busted Collar Bone and a dodgey old knee to prove it. (That and a number of County trophies to my credit as well). So telling me that a modern ball, unlike the mitre balls of the 80's and 90's can be hit by a 10 year old with enough power to damage another 10 year olds hands is quite frankly poppycock! Still we all know about ball technology after the world cup don't we.

If anyone gets the chance to, or has, seen Craig Johnstons' documentary about the original 'Predator Boot' which he designed as a teaching aid and not as a $200 fashion item. you might get where i'm coming from.

Still shirts and gloves on sale in Edmonton eh? once I see on the back of a kid during a park kick-about then i'll be happy. Actually it might be me in the shirt first, at the spuce grove Wednesday adult Co-Ed club:o

Still shirts and gloves on sale in Edmonton eh? once I see on the back of a kid during a park kick-about then i'll be happy. Actually it might be me in the shirt first, at the spuce grove Wednesday adult Co-Ed club:o

What is this Spruce Grove club you speak of precious? Does it hurts us? Is it old people playing soccer?

What is this Spruce Grove club you speak of precious? Does it hurts us? Is it old people playing soccer?

I'm moving out to Spruce Grove end of August, I'll Let you know... (thats why we cant make the games yet...moving cost and time and all that sh...tuff!)

Actually as far I can gather its a 'Derby and Joan Club' of old players who want an excuse for a midweek kickabout and a beer afterwards.. SOUNDS GREAT!

SPRUCE GROVE WEDNESDAY? ...hurm.. not a bad team name however.:)

They will not build a stadium without city money. Katz and the Oilers will have it all locked up for the next 25 years.

But a Stade Saputo type stadium would only cost 3% of a downtown stadium. IMO if there's money for an arena, there's money for an arena and a Div 2 soccer stadium.

I think Telus Field is a bigger obstacle to getting a stadium built. They built Telus Field, then the Trappers left town.

Archived