Trying to crunch numbers on FC Edmonton

But a Stade Saputo type stadium would only cost 3% of a downtown stadium. IMO if there's money for an arena, there's money for an arena and a Div 2 soccer stadium.

I think Telus Field is a bigger obstacle to getting a stadium built. They built Telus Field, then the Trappers left town.

Katz runs Telus Field and the Edmonton Capitals, he does not want any competition. We will have to wait about 5 years and have average attendance of over 7000 for them to consider a 10000 seat stadium.

Remember Katz will put $200 million into the project and bought the team for $200 million. How much will the Fath Group put into the stadium.

Katz runs Telus Field and the Edmonton Capitals, he does not want any competition. We will have to wait about 5 years and have average attendance of over 7000 for them to consider a 10000 seat stadium.

2nd division soccer won't be competition for the Eskimos, let alone the Oilers. And I don't think that there is a lot over overlap between baseball fans and soccer fans. Besides, between the arena district, trying to gain control of Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, the Oilers woes and the recent changes that have affected the Pharmacy business, I doubt he has much time to worry about "competition" from 2nd division soccer.

Remember Katz will put $200 million into the project and bought the team for $200 million. How much will the Fath Group put into the stadium.

Well Saputo Stadium cost less than $1,000 per seat, so if the Faths put up $1.5 million towards a 6,000 seat stadium they'd be funding about a quarter of the stadium which is about the proportion of the arena that Katz's initial $100 million funded. Doesn't sound ridiculously far fetched to me.

All I am saying is that Katz is looking to add to his sports empire. He has offered to buy the local lacrosse team and a radio station. MLS is part of that plan with the addition of AAA baseball. Would you like someone to build a new stadium and take whatever fans you have. The Capitals are averaging less than the EFC this year. If we are to build a stadium it would have to be at least 10,000. They could hold concerts and some international soccer games. Commonwealth Stadium is not a feasible option. Look at TFC, they bring in Real Madrid and play at BMO. Not Rogers Centre.

Did you read other replies in this thread?

Yes, but did you? I always meant to reply to your brilliant one liner, but at the time I didn't think it was worth it. I pointed out that the percentage they get out of the total, whatever that percentage number is, must be a hard financial pill to swallow regardless if they brought over a U17 team from England or a former EPL team.

*pats on the head* You still aren't cute you whiney little b!tch.

Archived