FIFA World Rankings: July 14, 2010

Saviola7

I believe points are weighted from results based over the past 4 years, this drop is likely due to less weight being put on the June, 2007 Gold Cup results where we lost to the US in the semi. We had a similar drop in the August 2006 rankings as well (Previous Gold Cups, held in July). I don't think this change should come as too much of a surprise.

Good ol' Jack Warner will probably use these rankings for seedings in the world cup draw whatever format the qualifying competition takes on as T&T has somehow made it to #5.

Hmmm... let's see, after a prelim. knockout, we'll do 5 groups of 4, seeding only the #1 team, with the top two teams going into a final 10 (maybe two groups again). This will ensure T&T could get into the final 10 and could put Canada, Guatemala, El Salvador and USA in a single group eiliminating 2 potential threats right away.

I believe points are weighted from results based over the past 4 years, this drop is likely due to less weight being put on the June, 2007 Gold Cup results where we lost to the US in the semi.

Yes, the drop is largely due to both the 2007 and (most of the) 2009 Gold Cup results being weighted less heavily now.

Add to that the fact that our results in the last 12 months are quite poor, and it's no surprise at all. In the last year we've played 6 games and have only a single draw to show for it. With the FIFA rankings, we need wins, pure and simple, especially during major tournaments and qualifying.

^ Exactly, which is why after these next 3 friendlies we need to schedule some fluff opponents we can beat up on to improve our ranking. It's nice to get some strong competition like Argentina, Ukraine and Poland away, but if we can't any points out of them we're screwing ourselves.

And we're 9th in CONCACAF.

We've proven over the last few WCQ cycles, that this is totally appropriate.

We have performed progressively worse in WCQ every time since 1994! We are where we belong in the rankings, and it will take some real hard work to change that.

Oh, and if all this is not depressing enough, here's some more cheery news.

Qualifying for the 2011 Gold Cup begins next month for the Caribbean teams. What this means is that countries like Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, and Cuba will be getting a set of "Continental Qualifier" games against the likes of Suriname, Grenada, Martinique, and the other minnows of the Caribbean. Winning a Continental Qualifier gets you 2.5 times more FIFA ranking points than winning a friendly match. So watch for the top Caribbean nations to rack up the ranking points over the next few months.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Canada gets screwed because we don't have to qualify for the Gold Cup.

Archived