Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

Despite all attempts to stop it, the games have gone ahead this evening :)

Which town/location are you referring to?

Thanks

BTW I noticed that the ASA site has removed all links/details about the Tier IV Rural Provincials.

Here is a google search of the cached page...

http://www.albertasoccer.com/index.php?submenu=YouthOutdoorProvincials&src=gendocs&ref=2010TierIVRural&category=YouthOutdoorProvincials

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only fly in the ointment last night was one of the host towns was infected by a district board member with sympathies to the Colin-Mario group who tried to stop the first game last night, the referees made him leave the field but he had obtained possession of the medals and tournament packages from the ASA office and at last word was declaring that everything was now invalid since they had let a team from a "suspended" District play. It should be noted that this competition was being held in a District that had not been "suspended". Hopefully that rogue member will be neutralized this morning or at least before the end of the tournament, as all games are proceeding and participants are enjoying themselves at a excellently organized tournament. Ditto for the other locations, people are aware of the controversy but are not allowing it to affect what is turning out to be a very positive weekend. It should be noted that this level of soccer is meant to be primarily recreational and the goal of these competitions is to provide a fun experience for these youth players. This is a competition where the team Fairplay award is actually taken seriously.

Anyone, for any reason other than the safety of the players on the field that can't leave their backroom politics where it belongs no matter how bad and tries to stop a game in this country should never work again.

Anyone, for any reason other than the safety of the players on the field that can't leave their backroom politics where it belongs no matter how bad and tries to stop a game in this country should never work again.

Socceronly, I second that with an exclamation!!!!!!

This was received by the District Referee Assistants (volunteer referees who act as liasons between ASA and the Districts) from the deposed "Board" via the ASA office to forward to their referees on Friday. It was on ASA letterhead and was unsigned. The CSA communication referred to has already been posted on this Board so I won't repost it.

July 8, 2010

To: All ASA Registered Referees

Re: Instructions on conduct and assignments within Alberta

As I am sure most are aware, there is a dispute between the ASA Board and some individuals within the province led by our suspended President. Efforts to resolve the situation have failed thus far. The CSA has looked into the events and issued a directive to the province to continue following both CSA and ASA Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and codes of conduct.

Please find enclosed the last of those communications from the CSA.

We are now at a point where the ASA board has made a very hard decision to place these districts in “bad standing” for non payment of their outdoor registration fees.

What does this mean for you as an official?

Well it’s simple. These districts are now operating non sanctioned programs for everything from training to games, tournaments and every other event.

You as officials are bound by the ASA rules #13 Referees

(a) No person shall officiate as a referee in any competition under the jurisdiction of the Association excepting mini-soccer, unless he/she is on the Official List of Referees.

-if you register annually as you should, then you are on the list.

(e) No ASA registered referee may officiate in an unsanctioned game, competition or tournament, whether in or out of Alberta. Failure to comply will result in disciplinary action being applied to that individual.

What this means is you cannot referee for these districts while they are in bad standing. You are free to referee any other games in other district/members of the ASA that are not in bad standing.

Presently the districts in bad standing with the Association are;

Sunny South Soccer Assoc.

Central Alberta Soccer Assoc.

Foothills Soccer District

St. Albert Soccer Association

Battle River Soccer District

Airdrie Soccer District

Calgary Women Soccer Association

Edmonton District Soccer Association

The ASA board regrets that events have reached this point but it is our obligation to keep you informed of possible situations that would affect your ability to be covered by the Association’s insurance should you referee games of these members in bad standing.

Should you have any questions regarding this communication, please direct them through your District Referee Assistant or member of the ASA RDC.

On Behalf ASA Board of Directors.

So now they are threatening the refs? The refs who occasionally have to put up with all sorts of nonsense from players and parents? The refs who are doing games for very little in the way of pay? The refs whose are numbers are low anyways? Kudos to all the refs who ignore it and let the kids play. It kind of makes me wonder what does Mario et al think they are going to do to the refs? Fire them? If you think about it for any length of time you realize there is NOTHING they can do to the refs. They just don't have enough to begin with to piss off the ones they do have.

I hope all the parents and coaches remember to say thanks to the refs and get the kids to thank them as well. The kids won't know about all this nonsense but I hope the parents do and appreciate the courage of the refs for letting the kids play.

Just when you think Mario et al can't get any lower they surprise you. Again. I keep thinking if everyone ignores Mario and company maybe they will just all go away? Every time a group just ignores them their "power" slips farther and farther away.

As to the loser that had to be ordered from the field I hope they are removed from any position of authority.

So now they are threatening the refs? The refs who occasionally have to put up with all sorts of nonsense from players and parents? The refs who are doing games for very little in the way of pay? The refs whose are numbers are low anyways? Kudos to all the refs who ignore it and let the kids play. It kind of makes me wonder what does Mario et al think they are going to do to the refs? Fire them? If you think about it for any length of time you realize there is NOTHING they can do to the refs. They just don't have enough to begin with to piss off the ones they do have.

I hope all the parents and coaches remember to say thanks to the refs and get the kids to thank them as well. The kids won't know about all this nonsense but I hope the parents do and appreciate the courage of the refs for letting the kids play.

Just when you think Mario et al can't get any lower they surprise you. Again. I keep thinking if everyone ignores Mario and company maybe they will just all go away? Every time a group just ignores them their "power" slips farther and farther away.

As to the loser that had to be ordered from the field I hope they are removed from any position of authority.

I second that. Please thank the refs for their courage.

Hope someone steps up and lays a charge of conduct unbecoming to the infected board member for getting into a dispute with referees.

Give them back some of what they are dishing.. hold the discipline hearing in the District and ban the guy under your rules of the District/ASA and let the discipline hearings pile up... it needs to get more messy before the boil can be lanced..and the infected parts cleaned out permanently.

The only fly in the ointment last night was one of the host towns was infected by a district board member with sympathies to the Colin-Mario group who tried to stop the first game last night, the referees made him leave the field but he had obtained possession of the medals and tournament packages from the ASA office and at last word was declaring that everything was now invalid since they had let a team from a "suspended" District play. It should be noted that this competition was being held in a District that had not been "suspended". Hopefully that rogue member will be neutralized this morning or at least before the end of the tournament, as all games are proceeding and participants are enjoying themselves at a excellently organized tournament. Ditto for the other locations, people are aware of the controversy but are not allowing it to affect what is turning out to be a very positive weekend. It should be noted that this level of soccer is meant to be primarily recreational and the goal of these competitions is to provide a fun experience for these youth players. This is a competition where the team Fairplay award is actually taken seriously.

Hope someone steps up and lays a charge of conduct unbecoming to the infected board member for getting into a dispute with referees.

Give them back some of what they are dishing.. hold the discipline hearing in the District and ban the guy under your rules of the District/ASA and let the discipline hearings pile up... it needs to get more messy before the boil can be lanced..and the infected parts cleaned out permanently.

Great Idea Trillium. Hope it makes its way to the district. The tide has really turned this weekend as the old school has learned that their threats have no impact. They are not bigger than the game.

Happy Soccer Day in Canada

I hear Sherwood Park teams are playing in the CASA tournament this weekend. Does this mean Christine Chater has lost the support of her own district??

added later: (It sounds like this may have been bad info I received.)

I hear Sherwood Park teams are playing in the CASA tournament this weekend. Does this mean Christine Chater has lost the support of her own district??

added later: (It sounds like this may have been bad info I received.)

I talked on the phone with an individual who confirmed the appearance of one Sherwood Park team at one of the "suspended" hosts. They will likely face reprisals from Ms. Chater's Board at Sherwood Park so I won't name the team or location (they certainly aren't afraid of her though).

As a former referee (of hockey, but still...) I think this is absolute bull**** and the worst kind of politicking. You're going after the people who are out there giving their time and doing a thankless job. Way to be *******s. The further this group digs, the worse things get for themselves. Give it up. You've lost.

Who actually is Alberta Soccer? Mario? Fred? Colin? Chris? CSA board? The 18 district boards?

Time to ban all these really important Adults from the pitches and let the Alberta Soccer players play.

Chris has been trying to let the kids play. It's the Mario-Colin-CSA crowd that are trying to stop it.

KJ52

How many distrcts are necessary to demand a new AGM called immediately? I am aware of at least one board who have paid there ASA fees to both groups "to keep in good standing".

I am behind Chris Billings group but if there needs to be a complete housekeeping job to get rid of these parasites, I will fully support that idea.

KJ52

How many distrcts are necessary to demand a new AGM called immediately? I am aware of at least one board who have paid there ASA fees to both groups "to keep in good standing".

I am behind Chris Billings group but if there needs to be a complete housekeeping job to get rid of these parasites, I will fully support that idea.

The next AGM is in January. A Special General Meeting can be called by a minimum of 7 Districts of the Association (12 signed) as was done on April 24th. At that time a general housekeeping WAS done and 9 Board members were removed. 7 of them refused to acknowledge that the SGM was valid and obviously have not gone away. The one thing that they will have no choice but to comply with will be a court order, then their choices will be to obey the order or face judicial penalty. CSA cannot protect them from the Justice System.

Mario group disputes the validity of the Apr 24 AGM, so why not do it again?

If he didn't accept the validity of the result the first time, what means he'll do it the 2nd time? Plus, they won't allow that to happen, not after they've pissed off just about everyone important with their bludgeoning attempts.

If he didn't accept the validity of the result the first time, what means he'll do it the 2nd time? Plus, they won't allow that to happen, not after they've pissed off just about everyone important with their bludgeoning attempts.

what TFCRegina said

Please post updates on the various T4 Prov results. My wish is that they all were completed this w/end and that the kids had a great time. Thanks to the ref's, coaches, parents and volunteers to do the right thing for the game and the kids.

It isn't just the kids those losers are threatening - it's the adults too. Calgary Women’s Soccer Association has received a notice of “bad standing”. Rumour has it the referees will be suspended if they officiate any of the CWSA games. I imagine EDSA must be in the same predicament.

Little does he know, we refuse to be bullied!

I've never tried to pick a side in this until this weekend. I really thought the petty infighting, power struggles, big city vs. smaller communities would eventually figure it self out b4 they let it affect the field of play, Provincials, kids, etc. Boy was I wrong.

It strikes me as so hypocritical that Charpentier (ASA VP and EMSA Pres) is so willing to try and shut out the rural kids, bully officials & refs, etc. while at the same time appear as a white knight for T4 Cities Provincials - saying that EMSA is stepping up.

What is the status of the Tier 3 Provincials?

Some of the hosts (i.e. Airdrie U16 G) are no longer listed in some parts of the ASA site.

I assume Airdrie is one of the 'offside' Districts?

Anyone that is organizing something to make this issue gain more attention post it here.

Many of us not wanting to get involved in the bs politics are now ready to help out since Charpentier decided to 'cross that line'.

Archived