Stalteri and Declan Hill on OTR with Landsberg - Match fixing

Jeremy

Stalteri was on Off the Record tonight to discuss the WC. They also had Declan Hill the guy who wrote The Fix, a book on asian match fixing in soccer and how FIFA knows everything and does nothing.

Anyone read the book? Have any other interesting books/articles about the subject?

Stalteri was on Off the Record tonight to discuss the WC. They also had Declan Hill the guy who wrote The Fix, a book on asian match fixing in soccer and how FIFA knows everything and does nothing.

Anyone read the book? Have any other interesting books/articles about the subject?

I read the book. Its very good

Google 'Merlion Cup'.

... and more specifically, 1986.

To heck with it. Here's a link to a recently written review of the scandal at The Maple Leaf Forever. Interestingly, Declan Hill leaves a comment.

http://www.maple-leaf-forever.com/?p=442

It was a very dark time. Compliments to the 5th Estate for doing a segment on it although there may have been legal issues as I don't recall i ever being repeated. The debut of that episode was delayed by a week due to legal problems.

db

http://forums.soccerfansnetwork.com/showthread.php?43297-Canada-in-World-Cup-1986-(Mexico)

"In November 1987, Vrablic and Canadian national team members David Norman, Hector Marinaro and Christopher Chueden were charged with accepting bribes to affect the outcome of an exhibition tournament in Singapore. Vrablic, Norman and Marinaro were also charged with bringing into Canada money obtained while committing a criminal offence outside the country.

The charges stemmed from a 10-month RCMP investigation centred around Singapore's Merlion Cup. Canada was favoured to win the 1986 tournament, which was played after the World Cup, but the team failed to qualify for the final. It was alleged that the four Canadian players took bribes totalling about $100,000 to affect the outcomes of games.

"I was amazed," said Waiters, who now runs World of Soccer, a Vancouver-based company that produces coaching manuals for community soccer groups. "I'm going, 'Why would people do that?' "

Two bookmakers in Singapore were later arrested on charges of attempted bribery to fix the Merlion Cup and imprisoned for two years. But the charges against the four Canadian players were thrown out of court at a preliminary hearing in Ottawa. Provincial court judge Patrick White said Canadian courts had no jurisdiction since the alleged bribes took place outside the country.

Despite the ruling, Vrablic was forever tainted by the scandal.

It didn't help when former national teammate Paul James went on the CBC's Fifth Estate in 1989 and confirmed the story. James said he, too, took bribe money but returned it and alerted Canadian captain Bruce Wilson about the incident after guilt set in."

Archived