Canadian WNT Int'l Friendlies Tour-- IN CANADA

StrandOne

Ok so clearly Voyageurs have preferences on which CDN cities should host major matches. But I'm curious as to which team(s) would make the most interesting matchups. Here's the current FIFA Women's Rankings. Ponder + vote.

1. USA
  2. GERMANY
  3. BRASIL
  4. Sweden
  5. Japan
  6. Norway
  7. N. Korea
  8. France
  9. England
  10. China
  11. Denmark
  12. Canada
  13. Italy
  14. Australia

USA - we play them all the time and I think the overload last year and U17 elimination soured them on us

GERMANY - coming in 2011

BRASIL - played them a year and a half ago in Toronto and 4 friendlies in last 7 years, bit of a freak show

Sweden - 7 times in the last decade, nothing lately, aging and overrated, good gate and competition

Japan - 6 times in past decade, bigger draw on west coast

Norway - played there 2 weeks ago, good competition

N. Korea - no point - wouldn't draw anyone

France - 7 times in last 10 years, tied there 2 years ago, a natural for Montreal

England - 4 in last 10, 2009 and 2010 in Nicosia, Cyprus cup rematch

China - 13 times in past decade, just 2 in Canada, last 4 friendlies in China, not a stellar draw

Denmark - just twice in last 10 years, played Ottawa in '96, wouldn't draw much outside Cdn fans

Italy - just twice as well both in 2006, CSA heads and women's staff are Italian, natural for Toronto

Australia - 7 in past 10 but just 2 in past 7, good program and match-up

I gather Mexico is off the list because of the Gold Cup but a few others like Holland, Spain, and New Zealand aren't bad if we're looking for good competition and a home win.

We're the global cheap date and a likely candidate might be be a return voucher for someone who has hosted us (i.e. Norway, Australia, Japan, China, France, etc).

The most important thing in any womens friendly is marketing. It's 10 times more important in getting a good gate than for a men's game. That means a lot of lead time to work the room.

Japan - 6 times in past decade, bigger draw on west coast

France - 7 times in last 10 years, tied there 2 years ago, a natural for Montreal

England - 4 in last 10, 2009 and 2010 in Nicosia, Cyprus cup rematch

Italy - just twice as well both in 2006, CSA heads and women's staff are Italian, natural for Toronto

Australia - 7 in past 10 but just 2 in past 7, good program and match-up

Holland, Spain, and New Zealand aren't bad if we're looking for good competition and a home win.

The most important thing in any womens friendly is marketing. It's 10 times more important in getting a good gate than for a men's game. That means a lot of lead time to work the room.

THAT LIST is exactly why I've returned to Voyageurs. Where else can you find fans who'll share the depth of insight? I'm not sure how accurate the facts are but DAMN that's some info! Nice. Thanks. So...

What kind of marketing do you think is most effective for the women's game-- guerilla, interactive, social media? Which "room" should a promoter be "working" to make sure a women's crowd buys tickets-- supermarkets, malls, office towers? What's the MINIMUM lead time needed for a solid turnout? 60 days? 90 days? 6 months?

No one ever died from too much promotion. WPS went heavy into the social interactive but couldn't float a couple of cities (one of which was 15 million people). The key would be local area marketing and you need to work the local media for free coverage and contact every club within 500 miles that has women and girls playing and approach them with intelligence and find ways to get them co-opted and onboard. That's more important than all the others and if the WPS clubs did that they would still be alive. The provincial associations also have the email addresses of every one of those women and girls and here in Ontario the OSA has email campaigned for national women's games. It was very amateur but a precedent and start to build on. Planning and executing a full marketing plan takes months and the more time you have the better you do it.

Planning and executing a full marketing plan takes months and the more time you have the better you do it.
Of course if your the CSA you already surely have a plan that you use each time with the various elements that work ...kept and those that dont eliminated, I would think the book on running a game marketing in advance etc.. is well developed dont you agree Vic..surely the staff do such things between games ?

i.e a data base of all weekly papers coded to region that you can send pre-written stories to about players from an area playing in a National game... seems pretty easy to do sure they do it..dont you think Vic ?

Poster..pretty sure they must have action photos of all our national team players along with printing negatives to print up 17 by 22 posters to be put in every corner store.... especially when you add the name of the player and they are from Ottawa or Montreal when the game is in those citys.. surely they have the setups done in advance ready to print on a few days notice to the printer.

They must have a model for price points and revenue spliting with local associations who go out and sell the games to coaches and teams so that every player in region buys a ticket and goes to the event... you have to believe they must now be talking to all the districts in Canada about the upcoming mens games..dont you think Vic ?

Wnt or Mnt games are repetitive events much like promoting a series of rock shows ..different bands but the issue is the same, plan ahead, know what marketing materials you need,make contacts with radio producers to get radio time etc... i mean yuo have believe the CSA has a list of all the CBC radio producers so they can contact them to get stories out with live interviews so the media does not have to go looking ...dont you think Vic ?

Oh wait i am assuming the CSA could organize a piss up in a brewery.... give my head a shake your right they need six months or more lead time ...

Sure, they're actually very good with media release. I believe they also work the main media contacts direct. The associations co-opted clubs for the world tournaments, could be wrong but I don't believe they've ever gone there for a friendly. Heard from the OSA last year but other than that have never heard a peep from anyone (NSO,PSO,clubs,etc) about a game in my life. If you were going to have one in Edmonton, for example, you would want to spend a lot of time talking to people at every club in the area that has women and girls playing and come up with ways to get all of them (girls, parents, clubs) involved. Although a women's game in Edmonton is probably to some extent hitting the ground running, or perhaps at a slow jog. The bottom line though is it's a lot of work and unfortunately that's what it takes. The CSA don't have the resources to do grassroots marketing -there are just 3 people in the soccer-specific national Technical department, and that's smaller than Finance/Accounting.

Sure, they're actually very good with media release. I believe they also work the main media contacts direct. The associations co-opted clubs for the world tournaments, could be wrong but I don't believe they've ever gone there for a friendly. Heard from the OSA last year but other than that have never heard a peep from anyone (NSO,PSO,clubs,etc) about a game in my life. If you were going to have one in Edmonton, for example, you would want to spend a lot of time talking to people at every club in the area that has women and girls playing and come up with ways to get all of them (girls, parents, clubs) involved. Although a women's game in Edmonton is probably to some extent hitting the ground running, or perhaps at a slow jog. The bottom line though is it's a lot of work and unfortunately that's what it takes. The CSA don't have the resources to do grassroots marketing -there are just 3 people in the soccer-specific national Technical department, and that's smaller than Finance/Accounting.

Are you telling me its the ball carriers the ex coaches etc who do the game planning and marketing.. the various team managers ?

Do they not have a special events person experienced person in putting on events of large size to organize things ?

Shocking... if true

Every single national game should be sell out ..bar none when played at home anything less fire some folks and get in some hustlers to make things happen.

• 2 weeks later...

CSA: December 2009:

At the full national level, both the men's and women's programs have been committed to play two home international games in 2010. This will mark the first time in 11 years that both national programs play multiple home games in the same year. The women are scheduled to play two home games in the spring while the men are scheduled to play two home games in September.

The soccer season in Canada is extremely short and late spring/summer is when you maximize attendance and support. There is not a SINGLE game on Canadian soil for ANY of our women's teams anywhere on the horizon. It is like women's soccer disappeared. The last women's home game was over a year ago. The 20s have not played home in 2.5 years. Our 17s have never played a single home international.

The 17's are in a World Cup in a few months. The women's World Cup qualification tournament is in the Fall. Are we going to make them feel like anyone cares?

• 1 month later...

So STEP UP! If not you, who else is going to do it ?? Like you said, the women's record of NT friendlies on home soil is atrocious. Voyageurs should seed an event planning company that drives these kinds of initiatives. Get off the bloody bleachers and GET INTO THE GAME !! (love the email newsletter b.t.w.) Why can't Voyageurs commit to producing 2-4 Match Agents in the next 3 years ?? Is it possible for this community to set goals beyond selling tickets and talkin' a good game? Ok it's late. I'm tired. Maybe I should apologize in advance for any offence but hearing other people whine & complain is a pet peeve of mine. Offer a solution or two. Better yet, offer to BE A SOLUTION. no?

Ok bedtime. Nite nite.

"Following the game against Germany, the Canadians will take a short break before traveling to Ontario, Canada for more training from September 21 to October 1. The team will be based in Alliston, Ontario and will head to Toronto on September 28. They will face China in two international friendlies on September 26 and 30. The game on September 30 will be played at BMO Field (Toronto) at 7:30pm. Tickets go on sale Wednesday, September 1 via Ticketmaster (Ticketmaster.ca / 416.872.5000). This match will be the first time the CWNT has played on home soil since their May 25, 2009 game against the USWNT, also contested at BMO Field. With the WPS Championship game taking place on September 26, Sinclair, Chapman and others should be available."

http://allwhitekit.com/2010/08/29/the-canadian-womens-national-teams-upcoming-schedule/

Similar things as what's already known about the CWNT schedule, but certain points are elaborated upon.

Canada-China match to be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet

The Canadian Soccer Association has announced that the 30 September Canada-China home match will be broadcast live on Rogers Sportsnet. This means that fans across the country can watch all three Canadian home matches on Rogers Sportsnet in the month of September. The Canada-China Women's International Friendly match, presented by Winners, will be broadcast on Rogers Sportsnet East and Rogers Sportsnet Ontario at 19.30 ET / 16.30 PT.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WWC/national.asp

Archived