Hastings released by Hamiton Accies

JamboAl

I haven't seen this elsewhere in the forum but it appears that Richard ("Richie") Hastings was released by Hamilton Academical earlier this week.

http://www.acciesfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1041:players-released&catid=44:news&Itemid=140

Not sure where he winds up but IMO, if he stays in Scotland, it may be down a division or two.

Maybe he comes home and plays for the Whitecaps?

Not a bad idea; although he is seriously lacking in pace these days. Playing for an MLS team in Vancouver must be better than playing on a cold, wet December night in front of 800 fans in Stirling.

Not a bad idea; although he is seriously lacking in pace these days. Playing for an MLS team in Vancouver must be better than playing on a cold, wet December night in front of 800 fans in Stirling.

He may be better suited to a role as a centre-back in this stage of his career.

With the Whitecaps joning MLS next year, it might be good for them to have a veteran presence to shore up the back line and provide some mentorship for their younger players.

He joined Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show a few months ago and commented that he would love the opportunity to come back and play for his home club, Whitecaps FC, now that they will be joining the MLS. Says it's the perfect and fitting way to eventually end his career.

Maybe he comes home and plays for the Whitecaps?

Some people might not think he's MLS quality at this stage in his career, but I'd like to point out the same thing was said about Cann when he signed with TFC. He could still be useful for the Whitecaps in the end.

Some people might not think he's MLS quality at this stage in his career, but I'd like to point out the same thing was said about Cann when he signed with TFC. He could still be useful for the Whitecaps in the end.

Cann has really shone due to his aerial ability. How he does against fleeter footed strikers is his litmus test. I hate to say this because Hastings has been a committed team guy and all (and I loved that classic shoulder charge he gave to Landycakes), but I see him more in a Nick Garcia light, which isn't a good thing.

Cann has really shone due to his aerial ability. How he does against fleeter footed strikers is his litmus test. I hate to say this because Hastings has been a committed team guy and all (and I loved that classic shoulder charge he gave to Landycakes), but I see him more in a Nick Garcia light, which isn't a good thing.

I have my doubts to. Hastings looked sub par the last time I saw him against Costa Rica. He certainly showed why Mckenna and Jakovic were chosen over him.

I have my doubts to. Hastings looked sub par the last time I saw him against Costa Rica. He certainly showed why Mckenna and Jakovic were chosen over him.

I don't know what his personality is like, but from afar Hastings strikes me as the kind of guy who checks his ego at the door before entering the dressing room: a guy who's going to do what he's told do to the best of his ability, whatever that role is. I realize his selection has benefitted from the injury/absentee situation, but perhaps that's why Hart likes him in the squad. Just a wild guess, however.

As much as guys like Hastings, Onstad and Imhof aren’t going to play a role come 2014, they all seem like quality guys off the pitch and a good influence on the younger players. There’s nothing wrong with having those kinds of players around to rub off on younger players at this point. And I think friendlies like the Argentina one are a nice way for some players to go out. If we were loaded with options, then I would have rather player the younger guys, but given the choice I'd rather play veterans with a limited shelf life and field the best side we can.

Hastings obviously will always be remembered for the only goal he ever scored for us, but he was always willing and gave what he had. And he was tremendous in 2007 at the Gold Cup. If he can find that form he’d be a solid MLS player.

And add me to the list of people who are very pleasantly surprised by Cann. I knew he was good in the air, but his positional sense and reading of the game is quite good. I don’t want anyone with pace running at him, but he’s held up well.

cheers,

matthew

Archived