ASA Shakeup

Guest Ed

The Executive Director has been dismissed without cause and the President has been suspended. These actions were done by some members of the Board of the Board of Directors and are contrary to the Bylaws and Rules & Regulations of the ASA (in essence making the suspension and firing legally invalid). Referring to a previous posting, these actions were done by the same people who have been responsible for the constant disruptions of the past seven years. Because of the extreme actions of these individuals, there is a strong groundswell of anger building in Alberta. It should be noted that the President (one year in office) was working towards governance reform, both in Alberta and with CSA. Those who have hijacked ASA do not want their powers reduced. There will definitely be much more to come from this.

• 3 weeks later...
Sickening, but unfortunately true.

Cutting a kid from a U17 team is hardly "turning our back on him". You make it sound like we exiled him to the forest to live with the wolves.

Lord not the Wolves! Living in the shadow of Mick Macarthy would traumatise anyone;)

Anyway On this Nationhood debate. I have a senario to consider.

I have been in Canada for the Last 18 months, (best move we ever made as we narrowly missed the UK recession). PR is on the way and My Five kids will probably/ eventually become Canadian citizens.

all their schooling and coaching will continue in Canada.

However they were born in the England, with Irish Ancestry. (my maternal and paternal great grandparents).

If presented the opertunity to play representative football, which would not happen for at least 7 to 10 years or so, with whom should they side?

Im not saying the're going to do so, I'm just asking a Hypothetical.:confused:

Perhaps this should be look at in another thread.

Lord not the Wolves! Living in the shadow of Mick Macarthy would traumatise anyone;)

I have been in Canada for the Last 18 months, (best move we ever made as we narrowly missed the UK recession). PR is on the way and My Five kids will probably/ eventually become Canadian citizens.

However they were born in the England, with Irish Ancestry. (my maternal and paternal great grandparents).

If presented the opertunity to play representative football, which would not happen for at least 7 to 10 years or so, with whom should they side?

I have no shame in this matter. I'll be the first to say that anyone eligible to play for Canada should play for Canada, irrespective of country of birth. Otherwise, I see them as not Canadian in any sense of the word, and I view them negatively.

I don't care if it's "poaching" off of other countries, we should do it. Everyone else is doing it to us.

It's a classic Prisoner's Dilemma game. In an ideal world, everyone would play for the country of their birth. The way the rules are set up the only dominant strategy is poaching. If we don't do it, we lose out.

So, essentially, I'm saying your kids should play for us, because they're Canadian. And I don't give a damn if it's hypocritical.

Is your wife or her parents Canadian? If not, then the only way your children can play for Canada is if they spend 5 consecutive years here after the age of 18. So if they grow up here, play in the FC Edmonton academy and eventually use MLS to launch a pro career in the EPL someday they would have to stick around until the age of 23 before we could cap them.

Is your wife or her parents Canadian? If not, then the only way your children can play for Canada is if they spend 5 consecutive years here after the age of 18. So if they grow up here, play in the FC Edmonton academy and eventually use MLS to launch a pro career in the EPL someday they would have to stick around until the age of 23 before we could cap them.

So if I read you correctly. If the Parents of a child gain citizenship. The above is null and void? If not then there must be heck of alot of potential migrant kids lost to the MNT in the coming years. Not saying that these Kids wont feel Canadian enough as not to be up for playing for 'their country' but theres not many who would hang around for that long, Especially if they have been picked up by a club and are on the Agents' Radars. :(

FIFA's ,current position on naturalisation appears to be one of the reasons the FA in England courts the Young International brigade in the English acadamies. I won't be suprised to see an England Team of 2020 consisting of more Players than usual born outside of the British isles.

It would do the CSA no harm to keep a watching brief on how the FA operate in these matters.

On a lighter note regarding Eligability...

The concept of national team eligibility continues to elude some fans. Take this exchange, for example, on TalkSPORT’s Scottish phone-in when goalkeeper Antii Niemi still played for Hearts (borrowed from Jason Burt’s “The Sweeper” column in The Independent, 1 January 2003):

“Caller: I'm a Hearts fan and, fair enough, Stephen Pressley gets a game for Scotland but what I can't understand is why [national coach Berti] Vogts never picks Antii Niemi.

“Host (former footballer Arthur Albiston): Eh? Sorry?

“Caller: Why does he never pick Antii Niemi for Scotland?

“Host: It's because he's Finnish.

“Caller: What?

“Host: Antii Niemi is Finnish.

“By now enraged caller: He's not Finnish! He's only 28!” :eek::D

taken from the link below

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamBack/Eligibiliy.html

If you read the link you get an Idea of How England Screwed up Over Ryan Giggs due to UK associations' self imposed Grandparents rule.

The above is null and void if the either of the parents or grandparents are BORN in the country. So if your wife or her parents were born here then the kids can play for Canada.

And yes, a kid who moves here at age of 2 and leaves to play pro overseas at 22 cannot play for us. But a kid who has never set foot in the country and who has a Canadian-born grandparent CAN play for us. They've perhaps switched a little too far in the other direction with these new rules, but theoretically we should gain a net benefit from them (if the really good Canadian-born players actually gave enough of a shit to play for us).

We are doubled screwed here, firstly most Canadians would be eligible for other national team especially with the grandparents rule. Also this ignores the fact that immigration happens for non soccer purposes. They must introduce a new residency requirement they for players under the age of 18. Does it make sense that a 23yo Brazilian who played for TFC for 5 years can play for Canada and a kid that grew for the majority of there life cannot???

Have them play for Canada. It has to start somewhere and who knows maybe it will be your kids everyone looks back at as the turning point for Canadian international soccer. If not our kids then who? If not now then when? If a couple of excellent players decide to play for Canada and try to help build the sport then it starts a snowball effect where more good players want to play for us.

I have no shame in this matter. I'll be the first to say that anyone eligible to play for Canada should play for Canada, irrespective of country of birth. Otherwise, I see them as not Canadian in any sense of the word, and I view them negatively.

I don't care if it's "poaching" off of other countries, we should do it. Everyone else is doing it to us.

It's a classic Prisoner's Dilemma game. In an ideal world, everyone would play for the country of their birth. The way the rules are set up the only dominant strategy is poaching. If we don't do it, we lose out.

So, essentially, I'm saying your kids should play for us, because they're Canadian. And I don't give a damn if it's hypocritical.

I thank you for the solidarity.

The above is null and void if the either of the parents or grandparents are BORN in the country. So if your wife or her parents were born here then the kids can play for Canada.

And yes, a kid who moves here at age of 2 and leaves to play pro overseas at 22 cannot play for us. But a kid who has never set foot in the country and who has a Canadian-born grandparent CAN play for us. They've perhaps switched a little too far in the other direction with these new rules, but theoretically we should gain a net benefit from them (if the really good Canadian-born players actually gave enough of a shit to play for us).

From what I could make out on the FIFA guidelines the 'Grandparent Rules' tend to be at the determination of the individual associations.

FIFA only appear concered with a individual not playing for more than one country after taking part in a 'competative international fixture'. So long as the Player is 'Naturalised' in that country.

From what I could make out on the FIFA guidelines the 'Grandparent Rules' tend to be at the determination of the individual associations.

FIFA only appear concered with a individual not playing for more than one country after taking part in a 'competative international fixture'. So long as the Player is 'Naturalised' in that country.

Trust me, there is a residency rule in place. It's what stopped us from capping Ugo Ihemelu.

^ How naive are you?

BTW, have emailed the Calgary Minor Soccer Association asking for their 'news' on the ASA goings-on to be part of their newsletter, as opposed to biweekly updates on Owen Hargreaves' injury woes (touching on the on-topic and off-topic in one post!!!!).

• 2 weeks later...

At the meeting held last weekend, nearly the whole board was unceremoniously dumped. President Chris Billings was returned to his position, the two Vice-Presidents were piffed, the Past President was removed, the Director of Finance was replaced, and almost all Directors-at-Large were kicked out of office.

Archived