Championship Star

I noticed that Montreal added a red star on top of their logo last season after winning the Voyageur's Cup. I thought it was a team decision. But Toronto have done the same for this season which makes me think that this will be an annual thing. To be honest I think this is a little silly. If you want to have a patch of some sort to recognize the title holders, that is fine. But to add a star to your badge/logo for one season only is foolish. Am I alone in this opinion?

I noticed that Montreal added a red star on top of their logo last season after winning the Voyageur's Cup. I thought it was a team decision. But Toronto have done the same for this season which makes me think that this will be an annual thing. To be honest I think this is a little silly. If you want to have a patch of some sort to recognize the title holders, that is fine. But to add a star to your badge/logo for one season only is foolish. Am I alone in this opinion?

I agree, but I don't think the permenant stars (like the crest is officially changed with each title) are so bad, but if they added permenant stars I would be concerned because 1/3 of the teams would be guareenteed a star every season, the crest would be burr stars every ninth win, and if, let's imagine, one of the teams were successful in MLS and got a CONCACAF championship or two it be too many stars. Maybe until the cup has more competitors (which could take a while) they should just forget about it for the V cup, or maybe the current system is best, it just strikes me as odd too for a one season crest change.

^ I get what you are saying, but I don't think the number of stars on your shirt should ever decrease. Once you get a star it should be there for good. That is why a patch/badge a la scudetto would make a lot more sense. To have a star for winning a three team tournament alongside stars that have been earned for winning a league just doesn't seem right.

Seeing as it is a 3 team competition I think they teams could have a single star with the number inside indicating the number of Voyageurs Cup titles they have. If you have 1 star for every win you will have no room on your jersey in 30 years. Montreal would have a star with a 7 in it and Toronto would have a start with a 1 in it. I also like the idea of a badge that only the current raining champs can have on their jersey.

I prefer the badge idea. I don't mind the red star with the white Maple Leaf in it, but I think the badge would look even better and avoid the whole "where do we put this 16th star?" problem. Anyone want to take a shot at designing the Voyageurs Cup badge? What shape should it even be? Only idea I can come up with is it should be a shield in the same shape as that on our national Coat of Arms.

I prefer the badge idea. I don't mind the red star with the white Maple Leaf in it, but I think the badge would look even better and avoid the whole "where do we put this 16th star?" problem. Anyone want to take a shot at designing the Voyageurs Cup badge? What shape should it even be? Only idea I can come up with is it should be a shield in the same shape as that on our national Coat of Arms.

There won't be any "where do we put this 16th star problem".

The star goes to the current champion, that's why montreal's Logo currently only has it's three(league) stars, and the Maple star is gone.

Sucks, because when we join MLS, we'll have no star at all, unless we can pull of a man city "meaningless" stars situation.

There won't be any "where do we put this 16th star problem".

The star goes to the current champion, that's why montreal's Logo currently only has it's three(league) stars, and the Maple star is gone.

My point exactly. If the 'maple star' is just temporary to indicate the current holders of the trophy, it should not be part of the logo.

I agree that having a permanent change to the actual badge/crest is silly for having won the cup. As suggested above, a symbol above but seperate or a small additional crest somewhere else on the shirt for the next season like they do in italy for the scudetto is a good idea. I also like using the Leaf in the design of the symbol.

Anyone with some cool examples or designs?

Montreal did not wear that Nutrilite badge all year long. They only wore it in Concacaf Champions League games if I am not mistaken (note the CCL patch on his right shoulder). They did have the 'red maple star' on their kit all year long though. It was on some of their training gear too. I remember because I couldn't help but stare at it when I was talking to Sandro Grande earlier in the year.

Archived