2010 CONCACAF U20 Tournament

Vic

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason we're losing has nothing to do with Leblanc, and the reason the Mexicans are winning has everything to do with Corral. And that has nothing to do with her corner. She is dangerous every time she is around the ball. The Mexicans are good, but she is their captain, their leader and their inspiration. You can see it in how all the others react to her. She debuted for their women at 14 and is their Kara Lang, and without her captaincy I'm not sure they'd be half the team. If she was playing for us this would have been over long, long ago.

10 to go, lots of time to pull one back.

Their Kara Lang? Lang did well when she was a youth and the biggest, strongest player on the field but never lived up to what was expected of her as she matured because she continued trying to play the same brute force style. None of the Mexicans play that way.

Their Kara Lang? Lang did well when she was a youth and the biggest, strongest player on the field but never lived up to what was expected of her as she matured because she continued trying to play the same brute force style. None of the Mexicans play that way.

I thought it was pretty obvious I meant she is their youth phenom - their kid who debuted for the national team as a young teenager.

They lack anything in the middle -- the only time they pressured was with balls down the flank. There is nothing wrong with that occasionally -- no single style should be used always -- but they need a playmaker. Hopefully they get by CR Sunday so they can prepare for the World Cup.

The biggest worry here is that the team will just...disappear...if there isn’t a tournament to prepare for.

In my view Mexico's game style was quite obvious and it never left any doubts. Maybe a tad slower than prior teams under Cuellar, but still effective. I cannot say the same for our game style. Actually I am not sure what style we were playing if any. We have a few good and promising players, but maybe not in their best field position. Don't really know the playersl, except for the three returning ones. I hope Carolina Morace has yet more to offer and is able to get players more structured.

Some pretty good commentary and observations today. Interesting about the playmaker. The Americans are 330 million people and they could have used one today too.

I think we lost to Corral, but our attack was a little unsettled and we definitely need work there.

Leblanc had another three great stops in the last five minutes to keep us alive. You have to be mentally tough to stand in that 24' and I hope people are standing by her tonight.

I don't speak Spanish but I thought I heard the word "kaptain" when they interviewed the Mexican player, so I may have been wrong about Corral wearing the "C". But she sure is their leader.

The Canadian interview was Stewart. I don't know if anyone has noticed but she has an extremely low turnover rate.

We used up a lot of luck today. If not for Leblanc and their finishing and bounces around our net the Mexicans could easily have had another 3-4 goals. But the real luck was the Americans finally woke up on the hour and beat the Costa Ricans. Otherwise it would have been a long Summer at the cottage.

If you watched any of the earlier game you saw Costa Rica get pretty banged-up today, and we have better fitness and are a lot better prepared to handle the pressure. Throw in some bitterness from this and we'll literally be all over them.

There was a quote posted earlier today from a CSA press release about Morace's search for different "prototype player(s)". The sentence preceding that quote was "We have changed the style of women’s football in Canada."

The reason Even Pellerud is in the Caribbean has nothing to do with style. We had no problem with direct soccer in 2003 when it was successful, in fact we loved it. The only style that matters is winning.

Morace had a year without competition studying and this is her exam year with the U20 and the Gold Cup. As Dino said, not the best start and unfortunate to miss our first CONCACAF final but there's still lots of time to work out the kinks before Germany in the Summer.

Interesting quote from the Mexican coach:

"... the girls were painstakingly prepared for this competition, we did a great job in the short time that we have, the work Leonardo Cuellar for some years, coupled with the physical work with Prof. Mehdi Mehdaoui made this team was full and strong... Fortunately the girls today well understood the tactical concept that arose with the coaching staff, were responsible for their activities inside the stadium, took ownership and grabbed the ball.

They were definitely better fit than previous Mexican squads. Usually they tired late in games, this team got stronger.

Just some interesting Zapruder film on the goal.

First, there are definitely lights up there along the goal line. You can see the long shadow right out behind Leblanc:

lightswd.jpg

Dennis Fitter's comment today was: "The final score-line turned out 1 – 0 but in no way was the match even close. Mexico maintained complete domination of the ball, driving Canada’s midfield back deep enough to create a huge, game long gap that made a connection with the forwards difficult. Offensively Canada managed only 4 shots on goal to Mexico’s 11 and gained only 2 corners compared to 7 for Mexico."

http://www.examiner.com/x-34297-Soccer-Examiner~y2010m1d29-Canada-fail-in-bid-to-repeat-as-champions

Mental note for the semi-final, out-corner the Costa Ricans.

Another mental note, put a player on the back post and goals like this don't happen:

backpost.jpg

I watched the highlights again and noticed Pacheco who was standing on the front post go after the referee after she received the signal from the linesman. I played it back a few times and she may have a good reason. The two lines in each photo are parallel lines across the front of the post and the back of the post. The second photo is the maximum the ball has traveled forward and it does not look like it has broken the plane at the height of Pacheco's head. Is it close? Oh yeah, very close.

A play like this will always be a judgement call from the sideline and a linesman who cannot possibly have the vision to make it. Had FIFA been more proactive in terms of goal line technology, I think we're in a shootout (with a better keeper).

linetr.png

maxhq.jpg

Archived