2010 CONCACAF U20 Tournament

Vic

Had to miss most of it and am going to catch it tonight. I did see the replay of the goal though and it was a nice piece of work. I also saw the Costa Ricans hit the post in the last few minutes off a header from a free kick too, we caught a break there. They are looking better every year.

It's really great that we are able to see these games.

Ref, the company doing the video for CONCACAF is the Perform Group (www.performgroup.com). I would send them your IP address and ask them to remove the filtering on it.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both of yesterday's games are now available in the On Demand section of the CONCACAF TV site. The second game of our group doubleheader yesterday was Guatemala 2 - Cuba 1.

http://www.concacaftv.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Video/0,,12907~1513067,00.html

The first Guatemalan goal is at 7:30, and over the next minute they give you a couple more looks at it. The Cuban central defender (#7) goes for an Aussie walkabout and lets a Guatemalan forward stroll leisurely into the box to redirect. The next Guatemalan goal is at 45' and again #7 gives the art of defending another interesting look. I imagine our game plan is to go right through her all day.

Today's big game is USA v. Jamaica (Canada, Jr.) but before that Trinidad & Tobago take on the Mexicans, who we will be playing a week today for an automatic ticket to Germany this Summer.

I only got to see the 2nd half live. Saw the goal via replay though, it was quite good. Some good skill and vision shown by Lamarre to start things off.

The 2nd half was not very good soccer. . Play was very broken, did not go for more than 10 seconds without the ball going out of play or the ref calling a foul (mostly on us!). CR did show a little more possession though. Hopefully we will get better as the tournament advances.

Go Canada!

There is no cohesion to this group yet (as expected). They are not a team but a collection of individuals right now. The defensive mids and defense gave up way to many prime opportunities. Not first rate chances but good chances. Canada seem to either lose the ball in the midfield or kick it to no one when on offense. C.R. has some pretty good little players, but as usual they tend to get hurt later in the game (getting tired) when they make any kind of physical contact with Canada (sometimes self-inflicted). C.R. could of tied it twice. Hoepfully we gain more confidence in the next 2 games and begin to get some flow to the game.

Players of the game for me:

Defense -- Bry Mccarthy -- real sparkplug on the left side. Made lots of good stuff happen down the wing. This years Alyssa Chapman

Midfield -- Chelsea Stewart -- after a real slow start she picked it up in the 2nd half and made some strong runs down the left side as well as some good dribbling.

Forward -- Tie (Leon and Lamarre) Leon scored the goal but Lamarre had absolutely wonderful control of the ball with 4 CR players around her and made the right pass to the open player who passed it to Leon.

Wonderful to see Leroux, who people here have so much love for, doing so well. Can't wait for Chelsea Stewart and others to follow in her footsteps after their prep time at our expense.

Who would people say was Canada's best player against the Ticos? Who will be in the starting positions for Canada at next summer's World Cup

I like Stewart she showed her skill at maintaining possesion, something that Canada still has trouble with. Also Marton let a Lang style frre kick go from 40 yards which forced the keeper to tip away.

Lamare looked good.

I'd say we missed about 3 great chances. Caught the game at the 10th minute, the game seems even with a small advantage for Canada... the Cubans can not come close to our goal except around the 20th minute where they were menacing, but that was only for a short time.

What can you say about playing Cuba? I've seen enough countries like England struggle against Euro lightweights like Malta to know that games like this mean very little. You get your three points, you get out. You move on. Mission accomplished. Our marker for our progress towards the Summer in Germany is Mexico and the USA, and it will be great viewing too.

And again what a gift to be able to watch these games live.

A good enough day on the job. Kind of hard to get motivated up a few goals and already through and we got to see some new players which was nice. The Guatemalans scored a nice goal and between their commitment to hosting and their individual skill and ball movement are definitely a program on the way up.

I believe it was Malette who gave Leon the world class weighted through ball on the first goal and was also the one to get the call on the penalty. She was paying the price out there and reminded me of old school 20th century Canada. Sometimes we get so caught up in tactics we forget that like our men's hockey program, one of the best elements of Canadian women's soccer over the decades was our physicality and toughness. We always got under the skin of the Americans.

Now the tournament gets interesting. USA v. Mexico tomorrow should be interesting, and a great scouting game for us as we play Mexico Thursday and barring a letdown the Americans Saturday to defend the title.

Stewart definitely gives us legitimacy in the middle, and Woeller impressed me again. Smart defender.

I think Morace picked a group of good all around players that play well. The officiating in this last game was pretty bad. Even the color commentators, who usually are very reserved and respectful, agreed the officiating was substandard. The funny thing is that in this case, the poor calls helped us.

Could only watch the 2nd half and that was awful (on our part). Guatemala was the better team from what I could see. How in the world did we score 3 on them? It looks like the days of pounding our Concacaf competition are gone. I think Guatemala outhustled and outmuscled us for good parts of that half. This is not a very physical Canadian team compared to what we are used to. That advantage is gone. Still a lot of balls to no one or worse right to other team. That was the worse half I've seen from a Canadian side in a long time. They play like that against Mexico and they are done, then it will be back against the wall facing Costa Rica who are far better than Quatemala. Somehow they need to just gut it out and make it to the World Cup and hopefully this summer they actually play some international exhibition games (and look at some more experienced players). Hoefully On demand will be working tomorrow so that I can watch the 1st half (and feel a little less gloomy).

No stars today for Canada.

It may be the tournament in general this year. I've watched the Americans and they are clearly better skilled than everyone else but have problems in the middle and look surprisingly beatable. I'm not used to watching American teams with that high a turnover rate. As you would expect Leroux has been effective and a brute against weak defenders, but if you remember the last U20 final she got the goose egg up against Marton, Woeller, Chapman and Bouchard.

Like you said the second half wasn't pretty, but we weren't at full-strength and were just going through the motions at that point. Everyone looked a little mentally checked out and waiting for the whistle.

I've seen Mexico too and they play a lot like Guatemala with a little more savvy in their attack and more possession and ball movement in the back. They lack quality up front and stutter in the final third but their build-up to get there is quite good and they were entertaining to watch. We played them a few months ago, and two USA youth national teams in the Summer, so we're well aware what to expect from here in. Corral has been involved in most of the Mexican goals and we'll find out more tomorrow... but so far it looks like mark her and the job's half done.

I've had no problems with On Demand since the first half of the initial Canada game. Hope it works for you.

Guatemala is a very good team, but Mexico’s game is far superior. Mexico has better players and certainly with more savvy. The main difference is that Mexico moves around the pitch far more as a team than Guatemala. Their front line at times is a bit dry, but against the U.S. they were quite alert. I think had Charlyn Corrall been playing the U.S. would have probably ended conceding more than just one goal.

Good point on the Mexico/Guatemala comparison. Seems odd to rest Corral for a game three days away.

Well, no surprise the group stage ends exactly as everyone predicted months ago. I think the big surprises so far are how good the Guatemalans played and how weak the Americans look. Down to the player they're all faster and stronger than their opponents, usually first to the ball and they play with tempo for 90 minutes, but they're robotic, wasteful and lazy. If there were some quality European and Asian sides here they would be going home without hardware.

Mexico's goal was a gimme in injury time with the Americans mailing it in and all standing rooted on a corner kick while a pack of Mexicans moved to the ball for an easy goal. Other than that their only real threat on the Americans was shooting from distance, and Leblanc seems pretty capable. We've beat them every year in the tournament and although this Mexican team seems a little better prepared in terms of their fitness, I don't think they have the finishing to get their first win.

CONCACAF Finals:

2008 Canada 1 - 0 USA: GOLD

2006 Canada 2 - 3 USA: SILVER

2004 Canada 2 - 1 USA: GOLD

Archived