Sign in to follow this  
Vic

2010 CONCACAF U20 Tournament

It may be the tournament in general this year. I've watched the Americans and they are clearly better skilled than everyone else but have problems in the middle and look surprisingly beatable. I'm not used to watching American teams with that high a turnover rate. As you would expect Leroux has been effective and a brute against weak defenders, but if you remember the last U20 final she got the goose egg up against Marton, Woeller, Chapman and Bouchard.

Like you said the second half wasn't pretty, but we weren't at full-strength and were just going through the motions at that point. Everyone looked a little mentally checked out and waiting for the whistle.

I've seen Mexico too and they play a lot like Guatemala with a little more savvy in their attack and more possession and ball movement in the back. They lack quality up front and stutter in the final third but their build-up to get there is quite good and they were entertaining to watch. We played them a few months ago, and two USA youth national teams in the Summer, so we're well aware what to expect from here in. Corral has been involved in most of the Mexican goals and we'll find out more tomorrow... but so far it looks like mark her and the job's half done.

I've had no problems with On Demand since the first half of the initial Canada game. Hope it works for you.

Guatemala is a very good team, but Mexico’s game is far superior. Mexico has better players and certainly with more savvy. The main difference is that Mexico moves around the pitch far more as a team than Guatemala. Their front line at times is a bit dry, but against the U.S. they were quite alert. I think had Charlyn Corrall been playing the U.S. would have probably ended conceding more than just one goal.

Good point on the Mexico/Guatemala comparison. Seems odd to rest Corral for a game three days away.

Well, no surprise the group stage ends exactly as everyone predicted months ago. I think the big surprises so far are how good the Guatemalans played and how weak the Americans look. Down to the player they're all faster and stronger than their opponents, usually first to the ball and they play with tempo for 90 minutes, but they're robotic, wasteful and lazy. If there were some quality European and Asian sides here they would be going home without hardware.

Mexico's goal was a gimme in injury time with the Americans mailing it in and all standing rooted on a corner kick while a pack of Mexicans moved to the ball for an easy goal. Other than that their only real threat on the Americans was shooting from distance, and Leblanc seems pretty capable. We've beat them every year in the tournament and although this Mexican team seems a little better prepared in terms of their fitness, I don't think they have the finishing to get their first win.

CONCACAF Finals:

2008 Canada 1 - 0 USA: GOLD

2006 Canada 2 - 3 USA: SILVER

2004 Canada 2 - 1 USA: GOLD

Edited by Vic
new post

To quote Carolina Morace from an article in the CSA site, she says "They (NTCs) know I am looking for a different prototype of player than what we used in the past."

I would like to know what does this exactly means, different prototype... If different club coaches can in some remote way help guide players or select team, they should know exactly what is Ms. Morace looking for. Why this "prototype" be a secret only known to the NTCs? People, we need to talk to each other!

To quote Carolina Morace from an article in the CSA site, she says "They (NTCs) know I am looking for a different prototype of player than what we used in the past."

I would like to know what does this exactly means, different prototype... If different club coaches can in some remote way help guide players or select team, they should know exactly what is Ms. Morace looking for. Why this "prototype" be a secret only known to the NTCs? People, we need to talk to each other!

I"m thinking she wants players with more techincal skills. Our girls still play alot of route 1 soccer.

Watching the US-Costa Rica semi. 0-0 at the half. Feed is very choppy, close to unwatchable. US applied a lot of pressure, but Costa Rica gave them a scare late in the half, hitting the post with a free kick.

Guest Ed

Awfully cheap free kick awarded to US; looked like the defender was fouled to me. Leads to the opener.

If you're the Costa Rican keeper coming to that ball, you've got to get there. It looked like she just ran up to the crowd and flopped.

The feed in the East is really punchy.

If you're the Costa Rican keeper coming to that ball, you've got to get there. It looked like she just ran up to the crowd and flopped.

The feed in the East is really punchy.

The feed in my home in the West is nearly useless. It freezes every 1 or 2 seconds, then you end up missing up to 2 minutes. Hope it improves for next game.

CONCACAF has been touting live streaming video of all games for weeks, trumpeting it all over their website and the Canada-Mexico semifinal game coverage is non-existent though apparently they managed it for the USA game!