US Open Cup Final (R)

This can be moved if I posted it in the improper thread.

Tonight's final between DC and Seattle was better than 99% of MLS games, and sadly blew the final Vs Cup match between Montreal and TFC out of the water. If you can get a chance to watch this one, it is well worth it.

Seattle went on to win 2-1 after goals by Montero and Levesque. DC made the last 5 minutes interesting after converting a free kick at the top of Seattle's box on a lucky deflection, but the Sounders managed to hang on and secure a spot in next years CONCACAF Champions League.

I hope Ottawa can get the USL franchise (assuming USL doesn't implode on itself) sooner rather than later so the Vs Cup can become a 4 team competition, which would result in a better competition format (I would hope). You have to envy the States regarding how large the LHUSOC has become, and how many levels it involves.

^ Not surprising since they have initially assembled a credible team in the first place. Look at their World Cup and EPL-experienced keeper (and also from Washington state), a DP in their first year, a promising striker, and several high-profile owners. And in their first year!

quote:Originally posted by redhat

^ Not surprising since they have initially assembled a credible team in the first place. Look at their World Cup and EPL-experienced keeper (and also from Washington state), a DP in their first year, a promising striker, and several high-profile owners. And in their first year!

What does that tell you about TFC's front office, and what they've achieved in the last three years?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

What does that tell you about TFC's front office, and what they've achieved in the last three years?

Or the other 12 teams in the league that didn't win anything in their first three years? [8)]

Oh wait, TFC did win something. What was it again? It's on the tip of my tongue.

The numbers 6 and 1 are coming to mind. Help me out here, Mr. Impact, I'm sure you know what I'm thinking of...

Oh yeah right ... lets see TFC beat a USL C side 6-1, in what amounted to a freindly, and then went on to proudly represent Canada, by bowing out and unable to score against another USL side. Is that what you had in mind?

And Montreal has never beaten TFC, so what does that say about the Impact?

Seattle is not an expansion team. They built from the back out, have a first rate goalie, good defense, solid midfield (when FL plays), and to cap it off they snag a Colombian kid who is near the top of the league in scoring.

Yea that is a recipe for success. I wonder what they will do when Montero gets sold (he is on load from his team in Columbia). That will leave a big hole that will need filling.

^ Purely so that MLS could sell him, at least that is what I've been led to believe. Seattle seems to have good management backed by good owners (can't argue that Carey is at least trying to better the league with his insertion of new ideas).

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

^ Purely so that MLS could sell him, at least that is what I've been led to believe. Seattle seems to have good management backed by good owners (can't argue that Carey is at least trying to better the league with his insertion of new ideas).

Seattle was a very good USL franchise, and they carried over into MLS. They got the right people running the orginization, and haven't concentrated only on UK based players. Thats why Seatlle after one season, is 10 times more advanced then TFC. (Record, Trophies, Coach, Fans, Stadium) Everything is better.

I don't think you can put fans in that statement. Seattle might draw more people, but as the RPB video showed, it's not the same atmosphere that only 20,000 can create at BMO.

I can't seem to find any specific information regarding the figures for Montero's buy-out.

^ Maiden season. Give the Sounder fans a chance. It's just going to get better.

Can't wait until Portland gets in. Those closer to the scene would know better than I but MLS coming down the pipe has done wonders for what was an already impressive Timbers Army.

How's Vancouver shaping up? Has the mediocre season affected things much?

Mostly sellouts but with the midweek games we'll probably average 5,000 or just under capacity for the whole season. Not a great season but we'll be in the playoffs and they are playing good to watch soccer. They don't bore their fans to sleep. I still remember the game we lost to the Rhinos 2-1 and I was sad about the loss but felt that it was a great game for us.

The Timbers Army has a few advantages in that their stadium can hold more than double what Swangard can. That and the stadium lets them store their equipment there so the ownership has been onside with the supporters for a while now.

Hopefully the boys have gotten some rest and can finish the season on a nice run of wins. USL has to stop doing stupid scheduling if they want to get taken seriously as a league.

It tells ya that Seattle had an already assembled lineup that was "promoted" into a higher division (NOT expanded), with support from a couple of EPLers and an up-and-coming Columbian...

Lets see Montreal build a completely new line-up from scratch, see how well they do when they "expand" to MLS...

At least TFC fans didn't need a celebrity to bring in additional fans to fill a NFL Stadium (as in not SSS). Lets face it, the stadium was built for the Seahawks, a team itself is worth more than MLS and USL combined... the Sounders just joined the party.

Despite the small fish in the big pond that the Sounders are while playing at Qwest, they're drawing 30,000 consistently, and that alone is a huge step in the growth of MLS.

If Montreal really do have Becks interested in jumping on board, it could be absolutely massive for player recruitment when they make the jump. I'm also interested in seeing where things with the French league go, as I noticed that one of the french channels out of Quebec was broadcasting a Ligue 1 game between Lens and Rennes. Maybe those types of broadcasts have been happening for a little while now, does anyone know? I also wonder what the impact (ba-da-ba-CH!) having the Coupe des Champions played in Montreal has had between the French league and the Impact.

Despite the small fish in the big pond that the Sounders are while playing at Qwest, they're drawing 30,000 consistently, and that alone is a huge step in the growth of MLS.

If Montreal really do have Becks interested in jumping on board, it could be absolutely massive for player recruitment when they make the jump. I'm also interested in seeing where things with the French league go, as I noticed that one of the french channels out of Quebec was broadcasting a Ligue 1 game between Lens and Rennes. Maybe those types of broadcasts have been happening for a little while now, does anyone know? I also wonder what the impact (ba-da-ba-CH!) having the Coupe des Champions played in Montreal has had between the French league and the Impact.

You probably watched the game on TV5, which is a channel from France available internationally.

And those of us out here in Cascadia are saying "Hey Garber. Told you so. But good luck with those soccer hotbeds like KC and Colorado..."

^ Don't forget Columbus, and the droves of the best supporters in MLS they get every game[B)]

I hate Columbus and their redneck supporters more than most here, but I believe they got a team because in '94 they were the city with the highest number of season ticket deposits.

I don't think the Montreal Impact will need David Beckham to draw fans. Personally, I hope the Impact can see the same success as Toronto FC, without a celebrity to raise the profile of the club.

As kyam said, I always wondered about the sounders. What if Drew Carrey was not involved? What if they did not have Fredrick Lunberg (is that how you spell his name)?

Archived